DO YOU HAVE A BOOK QUESTION?

Hi all, pippy_oak here, posting under my brand new user name. Hopefully, Richard will pin this thread, as it seems a nice tidy place to pose specific questions about a book (Is it a 1st edition, what's it worth, where to find it etc. etc.) Don't just come here with a question. If you think you have the answer, then let's hear it.

Or we could just mooch around and learn a few things.

Cheers

Paul

Message 1 of 1,680
See Most Recent
1,679 REPLIES 1,679

johnc9005
thanks paul!
great site,have been using abe+seeing some of the prices quoted on there got very excited at first! then started looking around at other sites...
thanks again

john
Message 41 of 1,680
See Most Recent

jasaauctions
johnc9005 Not so long ago some had a set of the belgariad books up for auction, all 1st's. If i can remember right it finsihed at well over £200! Not sure what yours would be worth but well worth trying.
Message 42 of 1,680
See Most Recent

member55jj
Hello I'm wondering if anyone can give me some help.
I have a copy of The Battle of Life by Charles Dickens and I think it is a first edition. I have looked at some other sites to see if it is valuable ( there are some crazy prices on Abebooks)but I don't understand all the lingo. How do you tell which impession your book is? Would a book this old still be valuable even if it was is a bit of a state? I only have half the spine and the covers are off, also it has a dedication in it and various other bits of writing, muck and a place where a sticker by the looks of it have been ripped off.
I would be grateful for your thoughts.
Message 43 of 1,680
See Most Recent

As you will have already noticed, prices for this book range from £4 to £400. It all depends on the publisher and the edition, which are needed before passing an opinion. All clues gratefully received.

PS There are very few books which are valuable in the condition you describe.

Message 44 of 1,680
See Most Recent

member55jj
Thanks for the reply manor_house_books,

All I can see in the book is

London:
Bradbury & Evans, Whitefriars.

MDCCCXLVI.

In the back of the book is an Advert for a new work by Boz, Dombey and Son, now publishing in monthly parts!

Is there anything else I can tell you about it that would be a clue?

Thanks Jo
Message 45 of 1,680
See Most Recent

The date is 1846.
Dombey and Son is written by Dickens, the illustrator is Boz.
More info about the dedication would help, a piccy would be helpful if its some one known.
Realistically though, in the state you describe unless its signed by Dickens himself then its unlikely to be worth alot, sorry.
Message 46 of 1,680
See Most Recent

At this stage it sounds as if it could be the 1st edition.
I understand there were a number of variants of the 1846 1st edition, and it needs an expert to determine which one you have. Could be an interesting exercise.

IF you have a rare variant, and your book is complete, rebinding in leather could be a possibility. Expensive, but just about economically justified.

http://www.parrishbooks.com/Search.bok?category=Charles+DICKENS

Message 47 of 1,680
See Most Recent

member55jj
Thanks very much.

My book looks the same as the ones on the link you gave.
The pages are all still bound together its just the board covers that have come off. The covers on mine look in better nick than than the ones there too, shame my son got it a few years ago!

On the first blank page it says Brocklehurst, the Fence (I think), 1 Henbury Park

On the next page the dedication says

Given to George Hitchens on the occasion of his having walked from Congleton to Henbury with a message from M John Wilson- T H (i think) Brocklehurst
Jany 30th 1885

so nobody famous unfortunately.

Thanks for your help, it looks like I will have to venture out from my PC. I could email you some photos but I dont know how to put them on here if you were interested.

Thanks again Jo
Message 48 of 1,680
See Most Recent

member55jj
Well he might be a bit infamous.
I just googled Brocklehurst Henbury Park and it looks like he was responsible for introducing Grey Squirrels to this country - blimey!!!!!
Message 49 of 1,680
See Most Recent

You need to get it appraised now by a real expert, someone who understands the different variants of the first edition.
Message 50 of 1,680
See Most Recent

dlewis918
manor house books.
Wondering if you can help?
I buy to read mostly and sell the overspill.
I usually collect complete works and in my listings print book list of the Authors I am selling.
Sometimes I am asked for complete list and being a Novice to the internet can only list my collections.
So my Q is can you give me the means to find Author book list?
One I'm having trouble with and by my E-mail so are others is Hans Hellmut Kirst.
Regards
Message 51 of 1,680
See Most Recent

I don't know of any foolproof method of obtaining full bibliographies. There are lots of bibliographies on the net, so I normally just Google the author's name followed by the word bibliography.

KIRST, HANS HELMUT

The bibliograpy I found was in German, so I used Babel Fish
http://world.altavista.com/
for a translation.

Here it is. Sorry about the formatting, as it is a translation:-

DETECTIVE STORIES: 1955 the last map death, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1971 plays condemned to success, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1972 condemned to the truth, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1973 pursued from the fate, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1974 everything has its price, Hoffmann&Campe, OA HC 1977 general affairs, C Bertelsmann, OA HC 1979 the uncanny friend (Heyne 5525) OA 1981 a trap of paper (Heyne 5808) OA 1982 precarious meeting (Heyne 5971) OA 1982 money - money - money (Heyne 6092) OA 1984 the dangerous truth (Heyne 6205) OA 1987 divorced by death (Heyne 7737) OA

OTHER BOOKS: 1950 we called it Galgenstrick, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1952 said you to justice, Captain? Desch publishing house, OA HC (revised version 1966: Last station Camp 7, Desch publishing house) 1953 riot in a small city, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1954 08/15 the adventurous revolt of the Gefr. Asch, Desch, OA HC (later title: 08/15 in the barracks) 1954 08/15 the strange war experiences of the soldier Asch, Desch (later title: 08/15 in the war) 1955 08/15 the dangerous final victory of the soldier Asch, Desch, OA HC (later title: 08/15 up to the end) 1956 God do not sleep in Masuren, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1957 with these mean hands, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1957 get off, (Mitarbeit: Jesco of Putkamer)Desch OA HC 1958 Kultura 5 and the red morning, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1959 luck can not be bought, to Desch publishing house, OA HC 1960 factory of the officers, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1961 comrades, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1962 the night of the generals, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1965 08/15 today, Desch publishing house, OA HC1 1965 rebellion the soldier novel 20 of June 1944, Desch, OA HC 1966 last station Camp 7, Desch HC (revised version of: They said to justice, Captain?, 1955) 1967 the wolves, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1968 Germany your East Prussia, Hoffmann&Campe OA HC 1968 a native country, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1969 law of the jungle, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1969 Heinz Ruehmann (biography) Kindler publishing house, OA HC 1970 hero in the tower, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1970 Udo the Juergens Songbuch (text contributions), Juncker, OA HC 1971 Kriminalistik, BLV does not juniorwissen volume of 5 1972 discussions with my dog Anton, Desch publishing house, OA HC 1975 the nights of the long measurers, Hoffmann&Campe OA HC 1977 the cats of Caslano, Hoffmann&Campe OA HC 1978 08/15 in the party, C Bertelsmann, OA HC (Heyne 6042) 1979 the postwar winner, C Bertelsmann, OA HC (Goldmann 6545) 1979 dog with man, C Bertelsmann, OA HC (Goldmann 6434) 1983 sellout of the heroes, C Bertelsmann OA HC (Heyne 6251) 1985 end of 45, C Bertelsmann OA HC (Heyne 6491) 1984 lightning girl, C Bertelsmann, OA HC

FILM: Filmings 1954 08/15 (part of 1) (direction: Paul May film script: Ernst von Salomon after Hanns Hellmut Kirst) with Joachim Fuchsberger, EH i. Scholz 1955 08/15 (part of 2) at the front (direction: Paul May film script: Ernst von Salomon after Hanns Hellmut Kirst) with Joachim Fuchsberger 1955 08/15 (part of 3) in the homeland (direction: Paul May, Drehbuch: Ernst von Salomon after Hanns Hellmut Kirst) with Joachim Fuchsberger, EH Inge-borrow Scholz 1958 lightning girl at the front (direction: Werner Klingler, film script: Hans's light courage Kirst) with EH-Inge-borrow Scholz, Antje Geerk 1960 factory of the officers (direction: Franc Wisbar, film script: Franz hell ring, franc Wisbar, after the novel of Kirst) with Carl is enough, for Helmut Griem (Nazi film) 1966 the night of the generals (GB/F, The OF the of general) (direction night: Anatole Litvak, film script: Joseph boiler, Paul stretch after the novel by Hans's light courage Kirst) with Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif 1988 factory of the officers (BRD/CSSR, 119 min) (direction: Wolf Vollmar, film script: Wolf Vollmar after the novel by Hans's light courage Kirst) with Manfred Zapatka, Karl-Heinz Diess

OTHER: Stage works 1947 also the Gesindel play flutes (comedy) three masks publishing house 1948 Galgenstrick (play) three masks publishing house 1966 rebellion of the officers (treatment, direction: Erwin Piscator) (free people stage, Berlin)

Message 52 of 1,680
See Most Recent

dlewis918
manor house books.
many thanks.
There is a new group started by pop.
Its called Leo Kessler.
I've joined and intend to list Military Authors.
Military reviews.
This is the only group with a total book interest, but like all new groups it needs members, can anyone help.
Regards
Message 53 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi Paul or any other knowledgeable soul!!,

Need pricing info on:
The Devotional and Practical Works of the Rev. Matthew Henry

Published by William Mackenzie 1803 bound in half leather. 992 pages

Addall has drawn a blank

Cheers in advance Chris
Message 54 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Chris

I'll come back to it when I have a bit more time.

He seems to Google quite well. I'll have another look tonight.

Paul

Message 55 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi Chris, sorry about the delay. Up to my eyes in plumbing earlier. Spent all day ripping out a bathroom.

Matthew Henry's dates are 1662-1714, so your 1803 copy is not contemporary.

The book which you have seems to have been published many times in many forms over the years, the last publication date I can find is 1997. A later printing than yours, with a very slightly different title, dated 1854 and published by Fullarton, in ½ leather lists at about £40 on Addall.

My uneducated guess would be in this region.

Paul

Message 56 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Cheers for your time Paul,
sounds like you are keeping busy, I always enjoy the ripping out part its the putting back together that get's me. I'm too impatient.

I've got a bible study by him as well so will list them at the same time. Did you get the e-mail ref book packing sup[plies?

Chris
Message 57 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Yes, thanks Chris. About the boxes.

They seem very expensive. They should be cheaper. My feeling is that someone's making a lot of money.

Message 58 of 1,680
See Most Recent

iainsdad
Ive just picked up 100 11 x 8 x 3 s/wall for £29.30, an inch or two shart maybe for some books , but the price seemed good. Local box maker. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing in the river looking like an idiot!
I, alas, fall into the latter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fishy Quote

Nothing grows faster than a fish from the time it bites until the time it gets away!!

Message 59 of 1,680
See Most Recent

I have a question: in the final volume of David Eddings' 'Malloreon' the author has mixed up two of his characters. He has a newly-killed baddie lying on a bier in the chapel of Chamdar. Chamdar is not one of the gods but a villain killed in the second book of the Belgariad. The god in question is actually called 'Chaldan'. My question is this - why, after being informed several times by myself, and undoubtedly innumerable times by others, do the publishers not correct this horrendous error in new impressions of 'The Seeress of Kell'?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 60 of 1,680
See Most Recent