Community Newcomer
Accepted Solution
Resolve a case

Hi, I would like some advice please.

I sold some festival tickets. I offered to meet the buyer in person to hand over the tickets but they wanted them posted.

I sent the tickets the next morning on a guaranteed next day before 1pm service and provided tracking. The tickets failed to get there the next day and were infact delivered and signed for the day after at 0951hrs and were still valid for the remaining two days of the festival.

I opened a case with the mail who refunded my postage but as the tickets had not been lost or damaged and had been delivered they would provide no more compensation and they closed the case.

Two days after the festival end date the buyer contacts me opening a case for a full refund as they said they couldnt attend the festival. That they decided not to go is their decision and outside of my control, I merely provided them with the tickets and could not have reasonably foreseen the failure of a guaranteed service. I cant even be sure that they did not attend and are now just trying it on to get some money back.

Am I liable for compensation as I have fulfilled my side of the contract to the best of my abilities?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solution
Community Member
Answered
in reply to timmess001
Get that tracking entered asap and close the case down
Other Answers: 2
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to timmess001

This is an interesting case. I assume these were three-day tickets...?  If so, the only recompense the buyer can realistically expect is for one third of the price he paid you, and the difference between standard post and Next Day Guaranteed.  He can hardly expect a full refund because he decided not to go - that's just ridiculous.  If I were you, I would refund one third of the price paid, plus the difference in postage if you haven't already done so (unless p&p was 'free') and lodge a claim for the remainder of your loss with Royal Mail - it's their fault the buyer couldn't attend the first day, so they should compensate you for that. But they can't do so until you provide proof of refund to the buyer - that's one of the pieces of information they request on the claims form.  Claims forms can be picked up from any Post Office, or downloaded from royalmail.com.

The buyer has no way of forcing a full refund through Ebay, as tickets aren't covered by their Money Back Guarantee. In fact, tickets cannot be sold here at all. They have to be sold on Stub Hub (owned by Ebay).  To learn what can and can't be sold here, go the Seller Centre. The link as at the foot of any page.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to timmess001

OK, first thing, you can't sell event tickets on eBay, not allowed, in future use stubhub.  What reason has the buyer chesen for the case?  if they claim 'item not received' they you respond by entering the tracking info to the case, a 'not as described' case is going to be a little more difficult, you'll need to speak to CS and make sure they're aware of what was sold, ask them to also review any messages between you and your buyer.

****************************************************************************************

A consignment of geriatric shoe manufacturers.