a.i. descriptions are rubbish

So 'A.I' (so-called artificial intelligence) has found its way into ebay listings - but it's rubbish! It tells you nothing about the condition of an item, or its function - it just puts together a load of waffle based on the item specifics. Nothing 'intellegent' about it at all - just a quick fix for lazy sellers!

Message 1 of 50
See Most Recent
49 REPLIES 49

It's certainly gaining traction. So many sellers are using it. They might a well leave the description blank. At least that would show an honesty regarding how much effort they are willing to make to give potential buyers some basic item information.

AI does have some uses in the world but it's the new thing and just gets used inappropriately just because it exists. Ebay themselves seem lazy in this regard. We'll just jump on the AI bandwagon but add nothing special, useful or innovative.

Often sellers don't fill in the item specifics properly either, so you can't gain much from that in many cases either.

I think eBay has run its course for me.

Message 21 of 50
See Most Recent

I think eBay get round that by stating the seller is responsible for the description, however it is derived lol

Message 22 of 50
See Most Recent

cm90691
Conversationalist

Absolutely. As a buyer (as well as a seller) I was put off buying an item by the sickly sweet description which barely seemed to relate to the practical product I was looking to buy. When I realised it was just written by AI and not created by the seller, I was happy to bid. What I need to know is the condition of an item (if used) and the size etc. I don't need the words, 'elegant', 'beautiful' and phrases such as 'this will enhance the beauty' of your home or your wardrobe - I can make those judgements for myself. Agree it just makes sellers look lazy. As a buyer will I be able to return an item on the basis that an item didn't match the description because it didn't 'enhance the beauty of my home' or if a dress didn't look elegant on me? Ebay are increasing their charges in April and I'm hoping that these useless descriptions aren't part of the reason for it.

Message 23 of 50
See Most Recent

You don't have to use it and if it appears, delete and write your own.

Message 24 of 50
See Most Recent

I agree, I avoid any seller who has used an AI description.  It tells you nothing about the item or its condition which is what you want to know.  

Message 25 of 50
See Most Recent

I avoid buying any item with an AI description and I suspect a lot of other buyers feel the same. So to all the sellers out there, write your own honest, clear and concise description yourself if you want to sell your items.

Message 26 of 50
See Most Recent

I agree, it's an insanely annoying gimmick. Hope ebay sees sense and removes it. 

Message 27 of 50
See Most Recent

As soon as I see this garbage on a listing I hit the back button !

I want to know an accurate descrition like chest or waist size measured by the seller and an accurate description as to condition and working order in other catagories .

I think eBay just signed their own death warrant . Returns and negative feedback are set to soar !

Message 28 of 50
See Most Recent

I do ignore when I'm selling I put every conceivable detail in when I'm selling. Rare get questions although once I sold a designer shirt included " genuine " in the title and close ups of logos and all the inside labels.

The question was for the single shirt " is it genuine " 🙄😂 . Ironically their are sellers selling large amounts of this brand of shirt which are clearly fake.

its the buying that's annoying. Continually asking for specifics for the item. 
I have now decided not to purchase from anyone using the A. I. Description.

Message 29 of 50
See Most Recent

If I have the time is it acceptable to message the seller and tale the p*ss ?

Message 30 of 50
See Most Recent

Don't forget it's main market is America and therefore 'appealing to' many of the least intelligent people on earth

Message 31 of 50
See Most Recent

Ouch! That's you getting a black mark from ebay....

Message 32 of 50
See Most Recent

Shows the intelligence of your average USA citizen when they  vote for the likes of Trump and Biden to be president just because they can afford to buy the presidency !

Maybe an injection of AI should be administered to all USA babies along with mumps, measles and chickenpox  to improve their thought processes in later life !

Message 33 of 50
See Most Recent

A shirt is a shirt, I don't care if it's fake, it still does the job, but fake batteries with a tenth of the capacity is ridiculous.  They're so terrible you can tell by picking them up there isn't enough lithium in there.  But the most I seem to get is a refund, and the seller can just keep on listing them.  The negatives from people stating "FAKE!" don't seem to have any effect.

Spelling errors above are the fault of the forum since it deliberately disables my browser's spellcheck. No I will not bother remembering to use their own superfluous spellchecker.
Message 34 of 50
See Most Recent

Of course, might aswell waste their time.  "I was considering buying your gorgeous magnificent beuatifully detailed jacket but you seem to have left out a few key points.  The size, the colour, the material, .....

Spelling errors above are the fault of the forum since it deliberately disables my browser's spellcheck. No I will not bother remembering to use their own superfluous spellchecker.
Message 35 of 50
See Most Recent

The only reason they do well is the large land mass and bountifull resources.

Message 36 of 50
See Most Recent

The negatives from people stating "FAKE!" don't seem to have any effect

And yet people still continue to buy from this seller despite all the negs🤷🏼‍

Message 37 of 50
See Most Recent

Maybe some buyers are ok with them looking like designer items which is fine until you wash them

Message 38 of 50
See Most Recent

I politely challenged a seller today. Genuine interested with a jacket of his He replied I've got 97% sold loads of items so "

go away "

Wasn't annoyed at his reply just mystified how anyone could buy on the A. I. description 

Message 39 of 50
See Most Recent

97% is nothing to be proud of.  A hundred people in Asda and three of them making a fuss and complaining?  You'd leave.

Message 40 of 50
See Most Recent
Got selling tools related questions? Start here: