a.i. descriptions are rubbish

So 'A.I' (so-called artificial intelligence) has found its way into ebay listings - but it's rubbish! It tells you nothing about the condition of an item, or its function - it just puts together a load of waffle based on the item specifics. Nothing 'intellegent' about it at all - just a quick fix for lazy sellers!

Message 1 of 48
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Agreed.  So many listings now follow the same boring, useless format which and it's therefore repeated on every listing that a seller does.  The clothing listings are a joke .....perfect for women who enjoy a touch of sophistication in their wardrobe/Get yourself this beautiful xx and add some glamour to your style! /don't miss out on this wonderful opportunity to own this xx/it's the perfect choice for anyone who wants to stand out from the crowd etc.  And my personal favourite ....available in size xx this dress is suitable for women of all shapes and sizes.....??   

I just want main details, measurements, condition and good clear photos.  I don't understand why sellers think it helps to sell their items and I find it a complete turnoff.🙄

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 48
See Most Recent
47 REPLIES 47

It's almost funny, because those listings are written in the way no normal person writes. What they call "purple prose" going on about how this is "a must for any woman's wardrobe". But it's not really funny, because the real info - measurements, actual colour, etc, aren't there, and if the potential buyer doesn't take the trouble to send a message asking for those details, that's a sale missed and the seller has no idea of the reason.

Message 2 of 48
See Most Recent

Descriptions on eBay written using AI are rubbish and that surprises you?

You could raise this at a Weekly Chat with the Community Team on a Wednesday but you will most likely get the standard "It's working as it should" line. Unless the CT responses are written by eBay's AU (Artificially Unintelligent) software, in which case you'll get something along the lines of "Thank you for your valuable question..." 

It's eBay. It doesn't surprise me at all. 

Message 3 of 48
See Most Recent

Surprises, no. Depresses, yes! 

Message 4 of 48
See Most Recent

If any seller chose to list using the AI description, you'd have to seriously question their actual intelligence.

Message 5 of 48
See Most Recent

I'm certainly finding it a massive turn-off. Soon as I spot it I'm inclined to just swipe/scroll back and move on to the next one. If the seller can't be bothered to give proper detailed information, I can't be bothered to drag it out of them.

Message 6 of 48
See Most Recent

@mr.mxyzptlk99 wrote:

I'm certainly finding it a massive turn-off. 

Pardon?!  🙂

Spelling errors above are the fault of the forum since it deliberately disables my browser's spellcheck. No I will not bother remembering to use their own superfluous spellchecker.
Message 7 of 48
See Most Recent

Agreed.  So many listings now follow the same boring, useless format which and it's therefore repeated on every listing that a seller does.  The clothing listings are a joke .....perfect for women who enjoy a touch of sophistication in their wardrobe/Get yourself this beautiful xx and add some glamour to your style! /don't miss out on this wonderful opportunity to own this xx/it's the perfect choice for anyone who wants to stand out from the crowd etc.  And my personal favourite ....available in size xx this dress is suitable for women of all shapes and sizes.....??   

I just want main details, measurements, condition and good clear photos.  I don't understand why sellers think it helps to sell their items and I find it a complete turnoff.🙄

Message 8 of 48
See Most Recent

Yes, I completely agree.  Initially, I thought 'oh this is so clever and could save me time listing multiple items'.  But no, after seeing it as a possible buyer, I shall certainly not use it ever again as a seller.  'Universal Blandness' with 'Cringingly False Enthusiasm (please pass the sick bucket!)' would be a more apt description for it, although it probably suits the USA consumer perfectly.   I have to say, in respect of my potential bidding or purchases, any seller using it I very carefully avoid!

Message 9 of 48
See Most Recent

Seriously setting sellers up for NAD claims. But the problem then is that it's effectively eBay writing the descriptions!

Message 10 of 48
See Most Recent

When I see listings with all that AI generated garbage I usually ask the seller if they would like some maple syrup to go with their waffle , then start mocking them without mercy.

Message 11 of 48
See Most Recent

I absolutely agree. These vapid descriptions are ridiculous and off-putting and really make me question the users' mental capacities.

Message 12 of 48
See Most Recent

Please have you found a solution re this problem

I am not able to get rid of it or use a different font

HELP

Funkdory44

Message 13 of 48
See Most Recent

??? It’s an option in the listing tool, you don't have to select it - and if you try it you can still opt to remove it.

Message 14 of 48
See Most Recent

I couldn't agree more. The generic AI descriptions of items for sale are meaningless and totally pointless. As someone else has pointed out, the descriptions add nothing to what you can see from the photos in the listings and just serve to make the seller appear lazy and disinterested in actually engaging with the transaction and potential buyers. 

Many sellers use the AI tool then seem to realise that the description does not add anything (surprise, surprise) and go on to add a paragraph which actually relates to the item for sale.

The tone of the AI descriptions is laughable - if you are as old as me, it will remind you of an "instant sale" on The Sale of the Century but without the charm of Nicholas Parsons. 

Message 15 of 48
See Most Recent

I am indeed old enough to remember that! A good comparison - maybe the AI bots have been watching old TV shows as part of their ‘learning’ process.

Message 16 of 48
See Most Recent

They are mental, saw one yesterday, trying to sell a 15 grand car, "it has 4 doors to allow you and your passengers easy entry and exit" 

Message 17 of 48
See Most Recent

4 doors to allow you and your passengers easy entry and exit  -  that's got to add at least £5K to the car value! I'm surprised it doesn't also say it's suitable for people of all ages and sizes!

Message 18 of 48
See Most Recent

How about circular wheels which rotate when one of the five gears are engaged and transparent windscreens and windows to aid safety.....etc.etc.......

Message 19 of 48
See Most Recent

If you've ever seen 5 people trying to get into one of those stupid 3 door cars....

I'm surprised that's even legal - my 5 door car failed the MOt because a rear door wouldn't open from the inside, well the ones with no rear doors.....

Spelling errors above are the fault of the forum since it deliberately disables my browser's spellcheck. No I will not bother remembering to use their own superfluous spellchecker.
Message 20 of 48
See Most Recent
Got selling tools related questions? Start here: