Highlighted
Community Newcomer
Accepted Solution

pre-ordered item

Hi,  I sell hand knitted toddler clothes on eBay.  A buyer messaged me and asked me to knit two jackets to her specific colour and size.  She assured me she would definitely buy them.  I did this, have now contacted her several times but received no response.  I know she is active on ebay as she has made 50 purchases over past month.  I suppose there is nothing I can do about it now?  Lesson learned I guess.  Any tips please?

Community Member

Re: pre-ordered item

in reply to 1800alison

There are strict rules on pre-ordered items on eBay. The maximum delivery time is 30 days. So the buyer is supposed to pay for them and you deliver within the time scale. The buyer can only claim for item not received once the delivery date has passed.

If this was agreed through the message system then you have no contract.

Why can’t you just list them as completed articles?

Community Newcomer

in reply to 1800alison
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Community Member

in reply to 1800alison
Sadly, people's promises are sometimes worthless. Many a time I have had someone ask me for 50 of this or 100 of that.
In the early days I trusted people and, as I explain to people now, that is why I have some obscure items in quantities of 100+ with little chance of selling in the next 10 years.

In future, if you make people pay for the items first, as grimgors_mum says, follow ebay rules to the letter or you will end up with defects and possibly stopped from selling.

Lastly, BLOCK the ebay buyer. Even if they did want to buy when you list, sounds like they could be a PIA!!
Community Member

in reply to 1800alison

follow the advice already given,

and as you are making the items with the sole intention of selling them

you also need to

Upgrade to a Business Account

Community Newcomer

in reply to 1800alison
Thanks, you're right, been messed about too long now, will just list the items and hope they sell. Will block the buyer as I think they could give me grief!
Community Member

in reply to 1800alison
The upgrading to a business account is very important, otherwise you are handing bitters a whole raft of rights they get if you don't register properly.

It's also eBay rules.
Community Newcomer

in reply to 1800alison
Thanks for the advice. This was the first (and last!) time someone asked me to make a garment for them. I won't be doing any more as the four I've sold took a long time to sell.