Community Member

What reason to give to cancel transaction

Hi,

I sold an item, buyer paid but Paypal cancelled the payment as unsafe and the transaction's become unpaid. I've also noticed that eBay has already taken the FVF for this transaction. I'm thinking of cancel the transaction to get my FVF back, but what reason should I pick among those available? Obviously, there's no reason such as 'Paypal cancelled the payment' available.

Thanks,

Community Member

Re: What reason to give to cancel transaction

in reply to bonetwothree

Been in this situation a couple of times.

The first thing you need to do is see if the option to open an unpaid item case is still open.  If you check the order details it should show you if the transaction is eligible or ineligible for an unpaid item case.  It depends on how Paypal treated the payment.  If they reversed it, ebay will read this as a refund and you won't be able to open a case.  If Paypal blocked the payment, you should be able to open a case still.

Assuming the payment was reversed and opening an unpaid item case is not an option, the first thing you need to do is contact Paypal.  They will look at the transaction and provide you with a statement you can supply to ebay confirming that they/the buyer reversed the transaction and not you.  The next step is to contact ebay CS.

Now, the first time I did this they opened an unpaid item case on my behalf.  The second time, they cancelled the transaction on the spot - no waiting for the buyer to agree or for ten days before the case expired.

If you don't want to go down this route, the only option you'll have is to select that the buyer agreed to cancel.  However, you'll then have to rely on them to agree or wait ten days for the request to time out, and if they decline the request you won't get your FVF back.  Do not, under any circumstances, select the option that you are out of stock as this will leave you with a defect.

Community Member

in reply to bonetwothree

bonetwothree wrote:

Hi,

I sold an item, buyer paid but Paypal cancelled the payment as unsafe and the transaction's become unpaid.

@bonetwothree

The transation is considered to be unpaid, so just go through the unpaid item dispute process to get an eBay final value fee credit.

Read all about it and open one here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to *vyolla*

Thanks both for replying.

The buyer paid, Paypal reviewed the payment and deemed it unsafe so they cancelled it. I hesitate to use the UI dispute yet because the buyer did pay. I think I'll contact the buyer first and see if I'm clearer of the situation.

Community Member

in reply to bonetwothree

@bonetwothree

If you can open an unpaid item dispute, it's considered that the buyer didn't pay.