Highlighted
Community Newcomer

Sold boat buyer paid failed to collect year ago. Emailed him to say we would be charging storage fee

As per title really.

We told him we were charging storage fee for his property.

Just phoned. ...... a year later..... to say he wants to collect.

Any thought?

cheers

Community Member

Re: Sold boat buyer paid failed to collect year ago. Emailed him to say we would be charging storage

in reply to nixy55

That's good isn't it?  buyer pays storage fee and collects his boat, it's a win.  Buyer refuses to pay storage fee, you give a reasonable deadline and re-sell the boat to recover the fees.

Well that's how it should go but I have a feeling it won't be quite so easy.

****************************************************************************************

A consignment of geriatric shoe manufacturers.
Community Member

Re: Sold boat buyer paid failed to collect year ago. Emailed him to say we would be charging storage

in reply to temperate_porcine

@temperate_porcine wrote:

That's good isn't it?  buyer pays storage fee and collects his boat, it's a win.  Buyer refuses to pay storage fee, you give a reasonable deadline and re-sell the boat to recover the fees.

Well that's how it should go but I have a feeling it won't be quite so easy.

Thats exactly how I would approach it too - after a year he is darned lucky you still have it and have been looking after it for him!

ps I am assuming we are not talking an inflatable dinghy here?!  Smiley Very Happy

Community Member

in reply to nixy55

Should be OK as long as you have not left it out in the rain.......................

Community Member

in reply to nixy55

Why have you allowed this to go on for so long?

Why did you not just cancel the sale months ago and relist to sell to somebody else?

Merry Everything & A Happy Always Smiley Happy
Community Newcomer

in reply to angelah1847

Was not mine to sell. Have to accept property rights??.... it was / is his property.

Community Member

in reply to nixy55

@nixy55 wrote:

Was not mine to sell. Have to accept property rights??.... it was / is his property.

thinking

yes and no.

You could very easily have given them a deadline for collection with the first month after the sale and if they hadn't collected it you could have cancelled the sale and refunded.

I very much doubt you have a legal leg to stand on trying to charge storage fees.  So good luck with that.

Merry Everything & A Happy Always Smiley Happy
Community Newcomer

in reply to angelah1847

But I did not to buy his property.

Community Member

in reply to nixy55

I take it they paid a year ago so you have been looking after their money since then? If so, why didn't you cancel and refund?

Community Newcomer

in reply to elephantsdonotdance

because I did not want to buy his property.

Community Member

in reply to nixy55

@nixy55 wrote:

because I did not want to buy his property.

I always like to help someone, who at least, tries to help themselves, but in this case i wont.

To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone