Community Member
Accepted Solution

Scratching My Head - Returned Item

A month ago (to the day) I sold a wooden trinket box.  My wife and I are getting ready to move house, so I put it on dirt cheap (99p) just to get rid of it.  I had a bid just two hours after the auction started and a message from the buyer soon after.  She offered me £5 plus postage if I would end the listing as she "really, really" liked it.  I declined the offer, telling her that as a matter of policy I do not end listings early even if it would mean getting more money.

The box sold at 99p and she paid instantly (about 2 minutes after the end of the auction) and then sent me a message saying how happy she was to have won and how much she was looking forward to receiving the box.  I posted the next day and two days later she left me positive feedback saying how happy she was with her purchase.

Now comes the head scratching moment...

I've just had a knock at the door from the postman, who has handed me the unopened parcel containing the box with a red sticker on the front indicating that it was rejected by the buyer.  I haven't heard anything from her since the day she left the positive feedback and frankly I'm a little baffled.

I know that it's possible she left the feedback by mistake, but given how excited she was to win the auction and how much she gushed about the box, I thought I would have heard from her if she didn't get it.  I've had some strange experiences as a seller on ebay, but this is a first.

Community Member

Re: Scratching My Head - Returned Item

in reply to isaacf6464

Don't over think it, if you have tracking to show refused delivery, you'd win any case, if you don't have tracking, wait until a case is open and refund through the resolution process.

****************************************************************************************

A consignment of geriatric shoe manufacturers.
Community Member

in reply to isaacf6464

Maybe the seller changed her mind after she had won the auction and paid for the box.  If that is indeed the case then it could be that rather than try to make a fuss about something that only cost her 99p she decided to leave you some positive feedback anyway with regards to the box but then refused to accept the item when it arrived so that you'd get it back, thus giving you the opportunity to relist it for sale at some point in the future.  If this guess as to the buyer's actions is accurate then one way to look at it is that it's a far better outcome than if the buyer had opened an Item Not As Described case just to get a refund of 99p and leaving your account with a defect.  Whatever the reason behind the buyer's actions, I agree that it certainly does appear to be a very strange experience.

Community Member

in reply to temperate_porcine

TP, I'm laughing out loud at your new sig. I always look forward to seeing what new words of wisdom you are going to have next Woman LOL

**********************************************************************************************
Please....register as an organ donor
https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-to-donate/register-your-details/
Community Member

in reply to elephantsdodaintydancing

"TP, I'm laughing out loud at your new sig."

Me too - I always find funfairs such solemn occasions!

Community Member

in reply to temperate_porcine

temperate_porcine wrote:

Don't over think it, if you have tracking to show refused delivery, you'd win any case, if you don't have tracking, wait until a case is open and refund through the resolution process.

I send everything tracked and the tracking shows that it was refused, so I'm covered - not that she's asked for a refund or said a single thing about it.

m25jet wrote:

Maybe the seller changed her mind after she had won the auction and paid for the box.  If that is indeed the case then it could be that rather than try to make a fuss about something that only cost her 99p she decided to leave you some positive feedback anyway with regards to the box but then refused to accept the item when it arrived so that you'd get it back, thus giving you the opportunity to relist it for sale at some point in the future.  If this guess as to the buyer's actions is accurate then one way to look at it is that it's a far better outcome than if the buyer had opened an Item Not As Described case just to get a refund of 99p and leaving your account with a defect.  Whatever the reason behind the buyer's actions, I agree that it certainly does appear to be a very strange experience.

It's possible, though she's missed out.  All of the items I have on at 99p are things I'm trying to get rid of ASAP.  Had she opened a case, she would have had her money back and got to keep it.  Now, it's going to the charity shop.

Strange as the experience may be, at least I have back a good posting box and packaging materials.  I was just starting to run short.