Community Member
Accepted Solution

Royal Mail Delivered Parcel to WRONG country

Hello everyone,

I sent a parcel via Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed For to Germany. However the parcel's tracking displays that the parcel has been delivered to Belgium. There is no signature. The parcel doesn't appear to be being rerouted to Germany. The address on both the parcel and the receipt I obtained from the post office display the correct (German) address.

I contacted Royal Mail via the online chat service. However the first RM CS employee I spoke to wasn't aware that Germany and Belgium were separate locations. Which wasn't the best of starts. They told me that my parcel has been lost, and that I should file a claim. However I am unable to file a claim, as 20 days haven't passed. The RM CS representative then ended the chat, before I was able to tell them this. I spoke to a second member of RM CS, and they were unable to tell me whether my parcel was lost. They repeated that I should file a complaint, as RM tracking displays my parcel has been delivered to Belgium, the wrong country.

My question is, has anyone else experienced a similar issue to this before? My parcel displays that it has been delivered to the wrong country– as of yesterday. My parcel isn't being rerouted to Germany. I have contacted Royal Mail via email, and via Twitter. I have also sent an email to the Belgium equivalent of Royal Mail (Bpost), however I'm not sure whether that email is still in use. I'm not sure what to do next? Does anyone know whether Royal Mail has a freephone service I can phone?

Kind regards,

J

Community Member

Re: Royal Mail Delivered Parcel to WRONG country

in reply to rootingforplants

Parcels do go astray but mail has a long history of being redirected to the correct destination which is why you have to wait out the 20 days before you can claim.  Until the parcel is on its way again, no RM employee is going to be able to give you tracking information - they are reliant on input from the mail services in the countries the parcel passes through.

We cannot post phone numbers on these boards, sorry.

I bid, I win, I pay - you deliver
Community Member

in reply to norseway53

norseway53 wrote:

Parcels do go astray but mail has a long history of being redirected to the correct destination which is why you have to wait out the 20 days before you can claim.  Until the parcel is on its way again, no RM employee is going to be able to give you tracking information - they are reliant on input from the mail services in the countries the parcel passes through.

We cannot post phone numbers on these boards, sorry.

Thank you for the response. I'm aware that parcels do occasionally go astray– I've had this happen on occasion before. However the parcel's tracking number displays that the parcel has been delivered. The parcel doesn't appear to be being rerouted. As far as RM are concerned it's been delivered, and lost as it's been sent to the wrong country. I hope that makes sense? I was hoping someone else might have experienced a similar problem.

Community Member

Do you mean that it has been delivered to an address in Belgium or that it has reached a hub in Belgium?  Not bing funny here but there is a difference.  If it has reached a hub, presumably the wrong hub, then it will be sorted and redirected to Germany.  If it has gone to a private address somewhere then it is probably lost.

I bid, I win, I pay - you deliver
Community Member

in reply to norseway53

norseway53 wrote:

Do you mean that it has been delivered to an address in Belgium or that it has reached a hub in Belgium?  Not bing funny here but there is a difference.  If it has reached a hub, presumably the wrong hub, then it will be sorted and redirected to Germany.  If it has gone to a private address somewhere then it is probably lost.

Yes, I am aware of the difference. This is what I'm attempting to find out. RM CS told me that the parcel had been delivered. However they weren't able to tell me whether the item was still at the Belgium depot, or whether it was indeed delivered to a Belgium address. The tracking details don't show a signature. However it does display that the parcel has been delivered.

When I've had a parcel rerouted before, the tracking displays that the parcel has reached the incorrect destination. However this parcel displays that it has been delivered.

Community Member

I had an experience similar to yours less than a year ago, although in my case the parcel was supposed to go to Italy and somehow ended up in Poland.  I went straight down to the Post Office and obtained the necessary form to submit an official complaint with the Royal Mail, who subsequently sent me an e-mail apologising for the error and informing me that the parcel would probably be sent back to the UK, in which case it would be redirected.  To cut a long story short, after about two weeks the missing parcel arrived back in the UK at Heathrow Airport, from where it was redirected to Italy and the buyer eventually got the item.  However, in the meantime I had to supply the buyer with a replacment item whilst I was trying to track down the missing parcel, so at the end of the day the buyer ended up getting two items for the price of one!  The only consolation that I was able to take away from that experience was that the buyer was very complimentary in his final e-mail to me about the way that I had handled the matter, as he said that he felt I'd been very helpful, and despite the problematic transaction he even left me positive feedback!

Community Member

in reply to m25jet

m25jet wrote:

I had an experience similar to yours less than a year ago, although in my case the parcel was supposed to go to Italy and somehow ended up in Poland.  I went straight down to the Post Office and obtained the necessary form to submit an official complaint with the Royal Mail, who subsequently sent me an e-mail apologising for the error and informing me that the parcel would probably be sent back to the UK, in which case it would be redirected.  To cut a long story short, after about two weeks the missing parcel arrived back in the UK at Heathrow Airport, from where it was redirected to Italy and the buyer eventually got the item.  However, in the meantime I had to supply the buyer with a replacment item whilst I was trying to track down the missing parcel, so at the end of the day the buyer ended up getting two items for the price of one!  The only consolation that I was able to take away from that experience was that the buyer was very complimentary in his final e-mail to me about the way that I had handled the matter, as he said that he felt I'd been very helpful, and despite the problematic transaction he even left me positive feedback!

Thank you for the response. This is encouraging to hear. I'll visit my local post office tomorrow morning, and fill out the relevant form– I think it's a P58. It's a shame to hear that you had to send a replacement item. I'm glad to hear you received a positive resolution in the end though. Hopefully I'll be able to resolve my issue in a similar manner. Have a lovely evening!

Community Member

I've just thought of something that may well help you to avoid getting a defect on your selling account if you haven't already done what I'm about to explain here.  Basically, whenever I post sold items out I always keep tabs on the progress of the item through the postal system so as to make sure that nothing's gone wrong.  As a result of this I was able to spot very quickly that something had gone wrong and that the item had somehow ended up in Poland instead of Italy.  Although I felt somewhat worried about the potential for a complaint, what I did to try and minimise the risk of an Item Not Received case being opened against me was to click on the list of options at the side of the item and select "Contact Buyer".  I then explained to the buyer that the item appeared to have been misdirected whilst in transit, but that I was going to do my absolute best to ensure that he actually got the item that he'd paid for.  As a result of the fact that I kept the buyer regularly updated as to the progress of my investigations into where the parcel had gone, plus the fact that I offered him a replacement item when it started to look as though it was going to take too long to get the original item back again, the situation was dealt with amicably and the buyer never actually opened a case against me via eBay's Resolution centre.  If you take the initiative and own up to the buyer that something's gone wrong then this will give you a better chance of giving the buyer the impression that you're doing your best to help him/her out with this matter, and that way there's less chance that he/she may get annoyed over what might otherwise end up looking as though you've just taken the money for an item he/she never received.  Not all buyers are awkward - some can be very understanding if you can actually ensure that you get them on your side before they feel compelled to open a dispute against you, and if they can see that you're doing your best to sort the matter out for them without them having even having had to open a case against you to get the matter resolved then it removes their incentive to open a case in the first place.

Good luck with resolving this matter satisfactorily with the buyer - hopefully the buyer will be understanding and the transaction won't end badly for you.

Community Newcomer

Do you have a tracking number? The big problem here is that it was 'delivered'. I don't think it's coming back to you (hopefully I'm wrong). You should track the number in all 3 country's sites (GB, BE,DE). It's possible that the item was delieverd to the right person but appears as wrong country on uk tracking for unkown reasons.

Community Member

in reply to m25jet

m25jet wrote:

I've just thought of something that may well help you to avoid getting a defect on your selling account if you haven't already done what I'm about to explain here.  Basically, whenever I post sold items out I always keep tabs on the progress of the item through the postal system so as to make sure that nothing's gone wrong.  As a result of this I was able to spot very quickly that something had gone wrong and that the item had somehow ended up in Poland instead of Italy.  Although I felt somewhat worried about the potential for a complaint, what I did to try and minimise the risk of an Item Not Received case being opened against me was to click on the list of options at the side of the item and select "Contact Buyer".  I then explained to the buyer that the item appeared to have been misdirected whilst in transit, but that I was going to do my absolute best to ensure that he actually got the item that he'd paid for.  As a result of the fact that I kept the buyer regularly updated as to the progress of my investigations into where the parcel had gone, plus the fact that I offered him a replacement item when it started to look as though it was going to take too long to get the original item back again, the situation was dealt with amicably and the buyer never actually opened a case against me via eBay's Resolution centre.  If you take the initiative and own up to the buyer that something's gone wrong then this will give you a better chance of giving the buyer the impression that you're doing your best to help him/her out with this matter, and that way there's less chance that he/she may get annoyed over what might otherwise end up looking as though you've just taken the money for an item he/she never received.  Not all buyers are awkward - some can be very understanding if you can actually ensure that you get them on your side before they feel compelled to open a dispute against you, and if they can see that you're doing your best to sort the matter out for them without them having even having had to open a case against you to get the matter resolved then it removes their incentive to open a case in the first place.

Good luck with resolving this matter satisfactorily with the buyer - hopefully the buyer will be understanding and the transaction won't end badly for you.

Thank you for the advice. I've remained in regular contact with my buyer, and I think they understand the problem isn't a fault of my own. Fingers crossed I can resolve this for the buyer. Thank you again for the help.

Community Member

in reply to adenozin81

adenozin81 wrote:

Do you have a tracking number? The big problem here is that it was 'delivered'. I don't think it's coming back to you (hopefully I'm wrong). You should track the number in all 3 country's sites (GB, BE,DE). It's possible that the item was delieverd to the right person but appears as wrong country on uk tracking for unkown reasons.

Yes, I have a tracking number. I'm really confused as to why the tracking displays the item has been delivered. I've contacted Royal Mail, and they've told me that the parcel should still be at the Belgium sorting office. But they can't confirm this. Which is rather worrying. I've asked RM to contact the Belgium sorting office, but they refused to. Unfortunately the tracking information on the GB and BE website are the same. And there's no information on the German website, as it hasn't passed through their tracking system. It's really worrying.