Community Member

Packaging gone mad

IMG_4655 - Copy.JPG

I know Amazon have been slated for their use of excessive packaging, but now an eBay seller has beaten anything I have ever seen before.

The item I ordered is in its original box which measures 20 x 10 x 7 inches.

It was packed with all this scrap cardboard and, not forgetting, a nice layer of shredded paper in a box measuring 30 x 18 x 14.5 inches.

One way of getting rid of their rubbish, I suppose. Not impressed.

Community Member

Re: Packaging gone mad

in reply to rell6534

This is Seller Central. Many of us on here would love to have all that cardboard delivered to us as a bonus with an order instead of having to go out and trawl the alleyways on recycling night. You might get more sympathy on Buyer Central.

Community Member

in reply to rell6534

From what I can see on your photo it's all recycled packaging. You can use it again and again. Win win I would say.

Community Member

in reply to rell6534

Just shows how much faith the seller had in the courier used.

Community Member

in reply to rell6534

Looks like cardboard heaven to me....................I would be buying off that seller just for the packing

.................................................................................

Retired
Community Member

in reply to rell6534

It would cost me over £5.00 to purchase all that packaging.

Who is your seller - I need more packaging!

Community Member

in reply to rell6534

How would you have reacted if the item arrived poorly packed and damaged?

Community Member

in reply to rell6534

All flat packed too for easy storageSmiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to rell6534

Looks like the aftermath of my Christmas prezzie last year.

All I found was an After Eight mint   Smiley Sad

Though I did reuse the packaging  Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to soppysofty

It would cost me over £5.00 to purchase all that packaging.

Make friends with the staff in your local LIDL, you have as much as you want.

.................................................................................

Retired
Community Member

in reply to rell6534

sellers cant win, not enough packaging or too much packaging!

Community Member

in reply to jh-middlesex
I did once get an espresso cup and saucer delivered to me in a box that size full of packing peanuts.

Not that they did any good as it had slipped to the bottom anyway.

I did think that was a little overpacked, but the seller said they'd run out of small boxes! Smiley Very Happy
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to myriad*seller

I recently had a small non delicate item arrive in an over sized box with the contents of the sellers cross cut shredder as a packing, thought to myself that is one way of getting rid of your shredded paper.......................Man Indifferent

Retired
Community Member

in reply to myriad*seller

myriad*seller wrote:
I did once get an espresso cup and saucer delivered to me in a box that size full of packing peanuts.

My idea of heaven.Woman Very Happy

Community Member

in reply to lemon-p
It reminded me of a bran dip, like we used to get at summer fayres when I was a child!
Community Member

in reply to sellsoldstough

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

I will try and answer all the points in one go.

I’m sorry I posted on the wrong board, I wasn’t after sympathy, I certainly wouldn’t come here if I was, neither was it my intention to criticise sellers or set buyers against sellers.

The cardboard may have looked alright in the photo, but really it wasn’t. It was all off-cuts and some of it wasn’t very clean.

Whether any of you would have been too excited to receive it let alone pay £5 for it, I don’t know.

I do save and re-use most of the packaging I receive. I make and re-size boxes up and down for double boxing items etc., but none of that was fit for recycling except at the cardboard tip.

As for the item being well packed; it may have had a lot of cardboard in there but the item itself was right at the bottom of the big box on a bit of shredded paper and the pieces of cardboard had just been chucked on top of it.

If the outer box had been lined properly with the cardboard and with the item in the middle it probably wouldn’t have looked so bad.

I guess I was just a bit disappointed after paying £50 to receive the item packed in that way.

Anyway worse things happen at sea and I’ve moved on now.

Kudos to those who lightened the mood.

Community Member

in reply to ingrandadsshed1961

All nicely flat-packed - perfect for hiding behind the couch until needed!  Some of my packaging is my bedroom!  I am surprised buyers and sellers don't have nightmares about packaging!  I even found some I forgot about behind the Welsh dresser - uncovered when we had to replace our 20 year old carpet.  The underfelt offcuts was great protection for the fragile bits I sold.

Community Member

in reply to rell6534

Hi you just have to look on the bright side.  I once received a glass item wrapped in used packaging - the seller had re-used their fish supper wrapping - even had a couple of squished chips attached.  There was some sauce but couldn't make out if it was brown or ketchup.  But it was all recycled - my fragile glass item arrived in fine fettle and the chips went into the food bucket and the wrapping into the paper recycling.

I am always amazed at some sellers - but that's what makes it interesting on here.  One parcel was like 'Pass the Parcel' we had at our parties when we were kids - but I was disappointed the seller hadn't put some sweeties between the layers like my folks did - there was always a riotous scramble to grab them.

Community Member

in reply to rell6534

In general, I would say that looks like a bit of overkill, but knowing how badly all couriers treat the packages in their care, if more packaging protects the item from getting to you damaged, then OK!

Community Member

in reply to kyanyama

kyanyama:

That's I great idea - the problem is our dog did a "number one" on our carpet when he was a puppy. I don't think we will be able to use it for packing without spraying some fabreeze in the box before sealing it.     Smiley Embarassed