Community Member

Mobile Item Description Summary Problem

According to eBay we should be able to insert line breaks into the Mobile Description Summary as mentioned here

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/customizeyoursummary.html

So far I've had no success as the text still appears unformatted after inserting <br /> 's

Has anyone managed to insert line breaks in the summary. If so, can you tell me the item number and also let me know how you managed it?

Andrew

Community Member

Re: Mobile Item Description Summary Problem

in reply to hamcor

@hamcor

I don't think there is any formatting at this point. My experience is that the marked code is run together as a paragraph. When I tested with bullet lists, in most cases eBay would put missing periods at the end of the bullet items, but sometimes missed one that was a spec and didn't look like a sentence.

If you will view source of your listing to see eBay's source, you will see that they take your mobile summary and assign it to an og:description meta tag at the top to be shared with other selling venues, google shopping, mobile devices, facebook, and the like. When I look at my test listing, I see that line breaks do appear in eBay's meta tag, but not in the mobile summary. So eBay may be converting to non-HTML line breaks that are in the mobile summary but  that don't translate visually.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222476530853

eBay Live 2007 Community Hall of Fame Award
Free eBay Tools for Listing compliance.
Community Member

in reply to shipscript

Thanks for your reply @shipscript

I have experimented with a few different options and none work. eBay even advised me to try <p> (which not only didn't work, but shouldn't be used between <span> tags.

I'll just give up on it for now and put it down to another bit of eBay that doesn't work, and I won't hold my breath while waiting for it to be fixed.

Community Member

in reply to hamcor

@hamcor

Indeed, the P tag is a very poor choice that can cause the summary to disappear entirely.  When wysiwyg (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) edited, the browser will rearrange the tags, resulting in an isolation of eBay tags away from the content. The same holds true for other block level tags like UL and LI.  While allowed by eBay, they are not tolerated within the span tag by wysiwyg browser editors, such as eBay's description editor. Smiley Sad

Listings that are hand-coded and never wysiwyg edited would likely get away with using block-level codes inside the span tags.  

Nonetheless, I'm of the opinion that in order to get the mobile summary to work for non coders (and it is indeed a very important feature that sellers should use to advantage), the mobile summary should be treated as a paragraph.

My advice, if the rest of the description is lengthy and contains bullet points, and is to be wysiwyg edited, is to place an outlined abstract summary at the top of the listing, like any other article that contains an abstract. It works well with most designer templates. 

These are examples that outline the summary, making it easy to locate when wysiwyg edting. In both cases, an outer component is styled to create the box effect, while the summary text is plain text within eBay's span tags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222445346372

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382002987823

Even though the summaries are short, they do prevent eBay from selecting nonsense text from the terms sections.

Community Member

in reply to hamcor

What happens if you use <br> not <br />

Community Member

in reply to oilpure
Same results, I tested the variants in my mobile summary test listing.
Community Newcomer

in reply to shipscript
same tests and same results here...

tested various options, but the only way to put some space in between text is with many (ugly) &nbsp;