Community Member

Items with non UK plugs allowed?

Hi

Am I allowed to sell an electrical item which has a 2prong plug?

Its used and I am not a business seller.

Thanks

Community Member

Re: Items with non UK plugs allowed?

in reply to stuedoo

I don't see why not, as long as as you make it crystal clear that an adaptor will be needed to use it in the UK, putting that in the title, item specifics and anywhere else you can.  Also make sure you have a clear photo of the plug. 

Community Member

in reply to stuedoo

I have bought shavers in the past (from a B&M shop) that came with a 2 pin plug and I had to buy an adaptor to use it.

Lots of things I have bought recently come with a ''one plug fits all'' arrangement and you put on the connector that applies to your country.

As long as you describe it accuratelyand mention an adaptor will be needed I don't see a problem.

Though others may disagree?       Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to stuedoo

I bought an IRIS book scanner new, it came with a European two prong plug, I tried to have a grumble about it and was told  "Tough, buy an adaptor."

I suppose if your item is fit to use in the UK i.e. it works on 240 volts there should be no problem however if it's a continental or US only voltage youmight have grief.

Community Member

in reply to stuedoo

Apart from certain items like shavers and electric toothbrushes intended for use with the two pin sockets found in bathrooms, it is illegal for a business seller to supply goods using not less than 200v, fitted with a two pin plug unless also supplied with a suitable adaptor.

Once fitted the adaptor must only be removable with the use of a tool.

However that does not apply to goods sold by a private person

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is futile to teach a caveman to play Scrabble, the only word they know is 'eerrrk' and they can't spell it.
Community Member

in reply to bankhaunter

I have bought over the last twelve months a new tablet and phone.both only came with a two pin plug and i just use my adaptor..

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Community Member

in reply to cookiecookuk

12.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, no person shall supply, offer for supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply any appliance unless that appliance is correctly fitted with a standard plug which–

(a)complies with the requirements of regulation 8 above; and

(b)is fitted with a fuse link which conforms to BS 1362 and is rated in accordance with the appliance manufacturer’s instructions, provided that in the absence of such instructions the fuse link may be rated in accordance with Table 2 of BS 1363.

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not prohibit any person from supplying, offering to supply, agreeing to supply, exposing for supply or possessing for supply any appliance which does not comply with the requirements of that paragraph but which–

(a)is correctly fitted with a non–UK plug which complies with the safety provisions of IEC 884–1; and

(b)is fitted with a conversion plug which complies with the requirements of paragraph (3) below and which encloses the fitted non–UK plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/made

BS 1363 refers to the standard three pin plug.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is futile to teach a caveman to play Scrabble, the only word they know is 'eerrrk' and they can't spell it.