Community Member

Issues with item sold 11 months ago. Advice needed. Thanks.

Hi sellers, in need of advice here.

I sold a tablet in May 2016 and the customer was very happy with it when he received it.

6 months later i received an email from the buyer to say that he was having problems with it and if i could provide him with the original receipt for warranty purposes and he would take it up with the manufacturer (Google). I sent him it via email and didn't hear back from the buyer again until Dec 2016.

A message from him in December said that he had been dealing with the manufacturer and they had sent him numerous replacements to rectify the issue but all seemed to have the same problem (something do with the sound not playing after a while forcing him to reboot the device) That Google were willing to refund the price paid for the tablet but only to the original buyer, me. He asked if i would accept a return and then send it to Google for a refund. I told him that I’d like to help but since it had been so long since the sale and that the tablet he now had was not the one i had sent him, that i couldn't and i suggested that he stick to dealing with the manufacturer for them to send him a working unit.

Today I’ve received another email from the buyer, nearly a year after the original sale, and he states that he is still having the same problems and that Google have again agreed to refund him however the refund would need to be sent to the original buyer. The buyer has said that he will send the item off to Google himself and deal with the return and once the monies have been refunded to me, for me to then transfer it to him (through PayPal, i imagine). He is asking if this is ok with me and if i'm happy to do this. Just to add that he has been very polite in all of his emails with me. I understand that he has more to lose here than me but I would like to know your opinion of this. Would you get involved and help? If so, what precautions would you take to make sure that you’re not on the receiving end of some elaborate scam?

Thanks for reading.

Community Member

Re: Issues with item sold 11 months ago. Advice needed. Thanks.

[ Edited ]
in reply to skyband123

I think this all sounds very odd indeed, if Google won't refund him becasue he is not the original buyer, why on earth would they agree to all those replacements?  I would have thought they would have refused to deal with him at all.

However, if you are only going to refund him when you have the money securely in your account from Google, I can't see where the scam is, or that anyone is at risk other than him, and if he has a dodgy tablet right now, acxtually he has nothing to lose either.

You might want to ring Google customer service to get their take on it before making your decision. 

Community Member

in reply to skyband123

How could you be sure Google would actually refund you? You no longer have the original tablet, and neither does the person who bought it off you.

I realise this is what he has said would happen but how can you be sure? Google sound helpful, in many ways. Pity they can't supply a tablet that actually works.

Community Member

in reply to skyband123
Thanks for your replies. Yes, it is quite odd and I think that unless I call Google there's no way I can verify that I will receive a refund from them and that they are expecting a return. The last thing I want is to get drawn into is especially if I don't receive a refund. On the other hand, I can also appreciate the buyers frustration.
Community Member

in reply to skyband123

Given the fact that you said that the sale took place eleven months ago I'd be inclined to say that it's not worth getting caught up in this matter.  If there was something wrong with the item the buyer had thirty days from the date of payment to open an eBay case, or one hundred and eighty days from the date of payment to open a case via PayPal.  Given that both of these cut-off points have now passed the buyer cannot bring a case against you, and to be honest considering that it's been almost a year since the sale took place I really don't think it's worth getting caught up in something which is no longer your problem.  If you were trading as a business and were offering twelve months guarantee on all products sold then it would be another matter entirely, but otherwise you wouldn't be contractually obliged to have to sort something out for a former customer almost a year after the sale took place.  It may sound harsh, but add this person to your Blocked Bidders List and make sure that you've activated the function to block e-mails from anybody who's on your Blocked Bidders List so as to ensure that this buyer can't keep on pestering you with e-mails relating to a problem that you shouldn't have to deal with.  For all you know if you decide to get involved with this matter you could be unwittingly setting yourself up to get scammed, and you wouldn't have any seller protection with either eBay or PayPal given the length of time that's passed between the date of the sale and the date of your query.  If there really had been a problem with the device then the customer would not have waited eleven months to bring the matter to your attention.  Sounds very fishy to me.

Community Member

in reply to skyband123
Thanks for your detailed reply m25jet. I think you're right, it's just not worth getting caught up in especially since its been nearly a year now. For all I know this could create more problems. I must admit that the buyer has been quite amicable in all of his messages and appears to be genuine, never demanding rather always politely asking, and I do feel bad for not helping him further but I think I must go with my gut instinct here and stay clear. Thanks again.
Community Member

in reply to skyband123
they would have to send back the original item, they have not got it anymore so they can't return it.
Community Member

in reply to skyband123

I would say ignore. It has been 11 months and you gone beyond in terms for what you done for the buyer.