Highlighted
Community Newcomer

Invalid Return Request But Ebay Support The Buyer

On Sunday 08/04/18 a buyer opened a return request for a mobile phone purchased from me.It was claimed that the phone was defective because it would not recognise the sim card.I asked the buyer what network sim card he was using and was told EE.The phone in question was clearly described in the listing title and again in the description as being "locked" to the Vodafone network.When I pointed this out the buyer apologised for overlooking this.I also agreed to accept the return for a refund but the buyer would have to pay the return postage.I also pointed out to the buyer that it would be cheaper to purchase the network unlock code from an Ebay seller for £2.15 than to pay the return postage cost.I also offered my assistance in unlocking the phone if the buyer purchased the code.I then accepted the return on the opened case but did not send a return label.

On the morning of Monday 09/04/18 I rang Ebay's customer services and informed them that I had accepted the return but did not agree with the buyers claim that the phone was defective.The Ebay representative agreed with me and informed me that a message would be sent to the buyer indicating that he could return the phone but must pay the postage cost.I was told that if i did not receive the phone back that I should contact Ebay again in 8 or 9 days time.

On the evening of 16/04/18 I received a message from Ebay informing me that a return label had now been sent to the buyer and giving until 08/05/18 for the return of the phone.The next day I rang Ebay and asked what as going on that they had done this after telling me something completely different eight days before?I was given a load of excuses but I was informed that the buyer now had a further three week to return the phone at my expense?

It is now over a week since I agreed to the original return but I have not received the phone and the buyer has not responded to my message of yesterday asking when the phone will be returned?

Is this really the way that Ebay treats honest sellers by supporting buyers who open a case for a reason that Ebay agreed was "invalid" ?Meanwhile they don't really care as they are holding the payment.PS.I have a positive feedback score of 4416,        

Community Member

Re: Invalid Return Request But Ebay Support The Buyer

[ Edited ]
in reply to interfone

Ebay reps will tell you what they think you want to hear to get you off the phone. If the buyer opened a case for item not as described, which it sounds like he did, ebay will automatically have sent him a return label at your cost if he escalates it, which it also sounds like he did.  No human gets involved to see whatever notes might, or might not, have been made against the case.

When you get the phone back and refund, report the buyer for misuse of the MBG and appeal, you may get the return postage costs refunded by ebay.

Community Newcomer

in reply to papso22
Ebay initially agreed that the buyers complaint was "invalid"?The buyer has not escalated the case or even after eight days returned the phone for a refund.But you are correct in that no human at Ebay has read the past notes on the case before sending a return label and increasing the return time by three weeks.
Community Member

in reply to interfone

The buyer must have escalated for a label to be issued, otherwise cases just time out.

Community Newcomer

in reply to papso22
According to Ebay,as of this morning,the buyer has not escalated the case or printed the return label just sent,Also I have not received the phone back or had any response to my message concerning the buyers future intentions in this matter.