Highlighted
Community Newcomer

Impossible to list items correctly

Been trying to list some computer parts for the best part of 3 hours.

Items i am trying to sell are mass producted , specifcations are identical 

Yet when selecting the exact same item from the Ebay catalogue listings 

each and every listing I have found has lists incorrect information.

Then when you think you have listed everything correctly, it adds items

that are not included, or removes important information or shows totally incorrect information.

as i said, the items i am trying to sell are mass producted , the specifications are identical 

its safe to say after trying to list a Motherboard,CPU,GPU and RAM that

ALL catalogue listings are WRONG

and there is no way to edit your listing to make it correct 

even had 2 guys in chat helping me try to list items, soon as you make it go live

it adds crazy stuff, or does not include important stuff  or lists stuff incorrectly 

EBay needs to update its electronic catalogue urgently !

Community Member

Re: Impossible to list items correctly

in reply to eliteforce1uk

Not just the electronics catalogue. The CD and Book catalogues are just as bad and have been for years. Most entries have serious errors which mislead buyers as, when you look at the ebay product page, it shows ebay's wrong title and details instead of the sellers' correct ones.

Community Member

in reply to rainbowtrax

I have never used the catalogues provided partly because of the errors, but also because I want to create my own listings with their own identity. Trouble with the book catalogue, I gather, is that Ebay have bought it from an outside provider so the mistakes are created elsewhere, and I doubt that Ebay could get into the cat to change it.

Community Member

in reply to clearingmyshelves2018

@clearingmyshelves2018wrote:

I have never used the catalogues provided partly because of the errors, but also because I want to create my own listings with their own identity. Trouble with the book catalogue, I gather, is that Ebay have bought it from an outside provider so the mistakes are created elsewhere, and I doubt that Ebay could get into the cat to change it.

Yes, they have bought it in - from the same source as Amazon as all of Amazon's howlers are now replicated here. However, they can edit it. In the same way as Amazon, you can now submit suggested corrections but I don't know if they've corrected anything yet.

Also like Amazon, this useless catalogue will soon be attached to all our listings without any option to remove it (we're halfway there already). I don't mind having catalogue details attached as well as my description but only if they're correct. And, like you, I want to create my own listings so that's the info I want to take prominence - the main reason I sell here rather than Amazon! 

What I don't want is some half-arsed list of utter rubbish displayed above my own description, and my listings attached to an ebay product page that has a **bleep** title, the wrong image, misinformation and, very often lists the wrong format and dumps the listing in the wrong bloody category.

Virtually all of the items I list using the ISBN have an issue with their catalogue entry, most of them have several, many of them fairly vital - like stating an audio book is on CD when it's on cassette tape. That's a very common one.

In the music CD catalogue, there's an ongoing issue whereby they've somehow managed to move thousands of random CD titles to the English Folk LPs (vinyl) category. They all used to be in the CD category but a few months ago they did some mass editing of the CD catalogue and this was the result: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/English/58619/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=

That link is for English Folk Vinyl LP category - everyone from Napalm Death to Frank Sinatra, all on CD.

Community Member

in reply to rainbowtrax

Latest audio book I've looked up in ebay's catalogue. It's an abridged reading on cassette read by Samantha Bond. Ebay are telling buyers it's unabridged, on CD and read by Leslie Philips!!! Should I be thankful that they did manage to get the author and title correct?

Once this product catalogue is eventually forcibly attached to listings, ebay are going to be refunding one hell of a lot of buyers every time their catalogue causes a buyer to have a "bad experience".