on 18-04-2017 4:32 PM
I sold an AMD CPU with a very nice aftermarket heatsink and cooler for £77 on the 9th April. I received no payment or communication from the buyer. After a few days I messaged the buyer asking if they still wanted it. I received a reply the following day saying that they 'bid on the wrong type' so they no longer wanted it (they obviously didn't read the description which had all the details they needed to make an informed decision) so I cancelled the order and relisted it on the 13th.
It sold again on the 16th, this time for £106 which is close to the retail value (although that would come with an inferior stock cooler, not the better one mine has). It's now two days since the sale and I've not received payment or any communication from the buyer. I know we've just had a long bank holiday, but you shouldn't bid on something when you know you're not going to be around to pay for it straight away, and even if you're away, it only takes a minute to send an email to explain things - we all have email on our phones and no-one goes away without their phone.
It's frustrating because I'm self-employed and April is a terrible month for me, so I've been selling things on eBay to help pay my bills. I first listed this CPU on the 4th April and it looks like I'll have to relist it AGAIN, but obviously I need to give the buyer some time to respond. The holidays are over now, so there's no excuse not to reply. I'll give them till Thursday to pay (or contact me) and then relist it, but even if the next buyer pays straight away, that's cutting it perilously close to when my bills are due. It's the not knowing that I find most frustrating.
What's odd is that I've never had a non-paying buyer before and now I have two in the space of 8 days. Admittedly it's only been a couple of days, but I'm not optimistic. Do you think it's possible they're trying to manipulate the market by 'buying' similar products to their own but not paying for them? Imagine if Currys only sold TVs from Samsung and Sony and someone from Sony comes in and 'reserves' all the Samsung TVs. If another customer comes in looking for a TV, the only ones available to them will be Sony's. Once Sony's TVs have all sold, the man from Sony then cancels his order for the Samsungs. I'm sure that's what's going on here. Obviously I've checked to see if my non-payers are selling similar items, but they're not. In fact, the first one has never sold anything and the second one has only sold one item (another computer component) so I think these are their 'buyer' accounts. Incidentally, that one single 'as a seller' feedback the second buyer has was not positive. Apparently the component didn't work and he never replied to emails.
I think it would be reasonable to contact the buyer (he's already been sent an invoice) and ask if he still wants it. If he says he doesn't, or he simply doesn't reply within 48 hours, I will cancel the order again and relist it, but what are the potential consequences? If I cancel the order, does the buyer have to agree to it? If he does, then he could draw this out for weeks and I really can't afford to wait that long! Could he leave negative feedback? Can I get a strike against him for wasting my time? I know as the seller I can't give negative feedback, so I won't leave him any, but this kind of behaviour should not be allowed without consequences.
You probably think I'm overreacting here, but I believe that once you commit to buy something, you should pay straight away or at least contact the seller and tell them there will be a delay in payment. Admittedly my emotions are affected by urgency but that doesn't mean something fishy isn’t going on here.
on 18-04-2017 4:47 PM
You really need to Open an Unpaid Item Case, if the Buyer does not Pay within 4 Days, you can close it yourself and get your Fees Refunded. Then you can Re-list. Neither of you can leave Feedback. The Buyer gets a Strike on their Account, most Sellers have Blocks Set in place which prevents Buyers with 2 Strikes in 12 Months making any Bids.
By Cancelling you could end up with a Defect on your Account if it is without Buyer Agreement, you would not get a Refund on your Fees either. Have you checked your Seller Account to see what charges you have clocked up already this month?
on 20-04-2017 3:26 PM
I just got my invoice for this month and it doesn't appear as if I have any fees to pay on the first time it was listed, so all is good there.
I still haven't received any word from the buyer. How do I go about opening an Unpaid Item case? Is it under 'Resolve a problem' and then 'I sold an item and haven't received payment yet'?
on 20-04-2017 3:40 PM
This is the link to the Unpaid Item Process.
You can open a dispute 48 hours after the sale, and you can close it after another 4 full days without payment.
You can then relist of you could do a Second Chance Offer, which means offering the item to the underbidder. They may or may not want to buy it.
On completion of a NPB case your buyer will get a non payment strike on his account. If he has more than one it will affect his buying power because most sellers set their selling preferences to block bidders with 2 strikes or more within a 12 month period.
You should set your selling preferences to block people like this, and you should also place any non payers on your Blocked Bidders list here