Highlighted
Community Newcomer
Accepted Solution

High resolution net photos ?

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I dont have time to take a pic so copy one from the net but nearly every time it doesn't meet the ebay resolution standard even though the pic properties say different, am I doing something wrong?

Community Member

Re: High resolution net photos ?

in reply to senna0_12

yes you are doing something wrong.

you cannot just help yourself to someone elses picture from the 'net'

most pictures you see on the 'net' belong to someone, they have the copyright, you are 'stealing' when you help yourself to their picture,

you have to take your own photographs of your item, or use ebays 'catalogue' of pictures

Community Member

in reply to senna0_12

i think the maximum size for a photo on ebay, is 7mb. so they can be too big, however, they can also be too small, so it could be thats the reason, as photos you find in searches on bing etc, are really small in size.

i agree though, useing other peoples photos is a copyright issue for a start, but apart from anything else, buyers like to see proper photos of what they are buying, especially on secondhand items. on new items, stock photos are probably fine.

Community Newcomer

in reply to *knight-rider*

They are always too small despite being ample size on the net, maybe something happens during the tansition I have tried the url method which ebay modifies when uploaded but they are never the right file format.I guess they dont have a problem with net pics seeing as they provide this facility. I will search for ebays catalogue.

Community Member

in reply to senna0_12

If you are on widows, use Paint and resize them .

select resize, select pixels and resize them to 1000 or more pixels.

If you dont want eBay to adjust them (tamper) when they are uploaded then use a format such as PNG or BMP and eBays compression engine wont touch them.

Community Member

in reply to senna0_12

senna0_12 wrote:

They are always too small despite being ample size on the net, maybe something happens during the tansition I have tried the url method which ebay modifies when uploaded but they are never the right file format.I guess they dont have a problem with net pics seeing as they provide this facility. I will search for ebays catalogue.

They provide the facility so you can access your own stored pictures on the "net", not steal other peoples.

Its easy to change the resolution on any basic picture editor.

Community Member

in reply to senna0_12

ebays catalogue are not 'net' pictures,

they are yours and other ebay users pictures, when you use ebay you lose the copyright to your pictures and ebay can store them in the catalogue for other members to use, it is not the same as stealing other peoples photos!

Community Member

in reply to senna0_12

Hi, are they your own photos or somebody else's?

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/photo_tutorial.html

"Don't copy pictures from another seller, website, retailer, manufacturer or anyone else without their permission".

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/image-text.html

When creating listings, members should write their own description and take their own photos.