Highlighted
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Global Shipping - France being excluded.... are there size/weight/value limits for France GSP?

I am trying to arrange the sale of an item to a person in France. (about 6 kilos and 47x34x22cms). The normal postage charges for couriers are significantly more expensive than eBay Global Shipping postage, hence the buyer's requirement to use Global Shipping Program. I have listed my item and ticked the box for GSP. Initially I had some European countries excluded (eg Italy) but have tried relisting with no postal excliusions at all. In both cases the buyer cannot buy. When I check the list of countries in the drop down list on the Postage tab in the listing it does NOT include France, but Finland etc etc is included. I have double checked my settings and GSP is "Yes".

Strangely one of my other listings (£19.99 and much lighter) is showing France on the drop down list as a permissable postage location.

The buyer is getting the message when he tries to buy/make an offer "

'May not post to France'.

When he tries to enter France on the drop down list of countries , it's the one country that isn't listed.

Any suggestions?

Community Member

Re: Global Shipping - France being excluded.... are there size/weight/value limits for France GSP?

in reply to robwilla

maybe the item is not allowed to be imported into France,

check their restrictions

Community Member

Re: Global Shipping - France being excluded.... are there size/weight/value limits for France GSP?

in reply to pixiesen2012

Thanks Pixie, just wondered where I might find the restrictions?....I'll have another closer look at the eBay GSP blurb...but do you mean the French postal restictions. Its a pair of Skyboxes (no cards) so can't imagine they are restricted unless Rupert Murdoch has his tentacles over the French postal system :-).

I'll try listing below 5 kilos temporarily to see if that is a threshold.

Community Member

in reply to robwilla

Bizarre!...just changed category to Radio Tuners and all seems ok. Strange as I can see other boxes in "Satellite Receiver" category with France ok.

Community Member

in reply to robwilla

well,  you don't actually own  sky boxes,

you only rent them from sky, which means you are not entitled to sell them,

that might be the reason why you can't send them to France!

Community Member

in reply to robwilla

I found this on another website which lists prohibited and restricted imports in France.

• Dual-use goods; i.e., software, computers, machines and machine parts

So you may find that the whole category you listed in will exclude France.

Don’t try and get around any restrictions by listing in the wrong category. They unpack and check items at the GSP hub.....and will destroy anything which shouldn’t be there.

If you post it yourself then French customs will destroy it.

Max weight limit for GSP is 30kg

Community Member

in reply to grimgors_mum

@grimgors_mum wrote:

I found this on another website which lists prohibited and restricted imports in France.

• Dual-use goods; i.e., software, computers, machines and machine parts

So you may find that the whole category you listed in will exclude France.

Oh 'eck.

EU Commission website says "Dual-use items are goods, software and technology that can be used for both civilian and military applications. The EU controls the export, transit and brokering of dual-use items so the EU can contribute to international peace and security and prevent the proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)."

I suppose there is a military use for old Skyboxes "Game of Thrones" comes to mind. 

Community Member

in reply to robwilla

Who knows. I found the info on a courier website. Perhaps they aren’t prepared to take the risk and prefer to just refuse to carry any such items.

If France is excluded on the item, then it isn’t by accident.

Community Member

in reply to robwilla

@robwilla wrote:

I am trying to arrange the sale of an item to a person in France. (about 6 kilos and 47x34x22cms). The normal postage charges for couriers are significantly more expensive than eBay Global Shipping postage, hence the buyer's requirement to use Global Shipping Program. I have listed my item and ticked the box for GSP. Initially I had some European countries excluded (eg Italy) but have tried relisting with no postal excliusions at all. In both cases the buyer cannot buy. When I check the list of countries in the drop down list on the Postage tab in the listing it does NOT include France, but Finland etc etc is included. I have double checked my settings and GSP is "Yes".

Strangely one of my other listings (£19.99 and much lighter) is showing France on the drop down list as a permissable postage location.

The buyer is getting the message when he tries to buy/make an offer "

'May not post to France'.

When he tries to enter France on the drop down list of countries , it's the one country that isn't listed.

Any suggestions?

I have bought skyboxes previously on eBay and had them sent to France without problems.  There aren’t any customs forms to fill in as It’s within the EU.

Hermes can deliver to France, have you tried them?  A parcel your size and weight would cost around £13.

.........................................................................................................................

What you see is not what you always get. Please read the description.
Community Member

in reply to gabby1230

GSP listings are also glitchy...clicking 'sell internationally' doesnt always 'take'. Also do check the categories carefully but without breaking any restrictions.

Sellers should double check the listings they think are listed as GSP do actually show it.  Sometimes clicking/unclicking/reclicking the sell box and redoing the weight and opening 'no exclusions' and resaving the box clears it.

Just had to do this with a vase which showed UK only until i resaved everything again. I suspect the flaw is in the exclusions because even if none are ticked resaving the no exclusions sorts it without changing the category.

Community Member

in reply to medealady

@medealady wrote:

........Sellers should double check the listings they think are listed as GSP do actually show it.  Sometimes clicking/unclicking/reclicking the sell box and redoing the weight and opening 'no exclusions' and resaving the box clears it.........

Many thanks for this observation medealady  I've ticked as a solution, good advice. I think during the process of changing weights, categories, removing restrictions etc I cleared some blockage. As others have mentioned and from my own experience it is perfectly possible to sell Satellite receivers to France using GSP and there are many other listings on eBay doing just this. 

Community Member

in reply to gabby1230

@gabby1230 wrote:
.........Hermes can deliver to France, have you tried them?  A parcel your size and weight would cost around £13......

Thanks Gabby...yes that's true but the problem I had is that the buyer lives up a mountain and only the local postie / "facteur" knows where he is. Deliveries by courier just get returned. I've found from experience that using GSP in France there's a good chance that the state postal system and hence local postie is used. Lets see. What fun.

btw in view of my change of category to "Radio Tuners" I've included immediately visible instructions on how to use the Skybox for radio reception. ("The Archers" on holiday?). :-). Ok I know you can get it on iPlayer but good for us crusties.

For the record GSP postage to the buyer was just over £20 for 6 Kilos rate!! (including my £6.49 at cost for UK postage to GSP centre. I should have really tried to get below 5 kilos as its an important threshold.