Community Member

Fees for sending internationally?

I usually just sell within the UK (business seller) but I've been asked to send something to Sri Lanka.  What would be the fees for this - I assume ebay will charge me a FVF on international postage, which would be more than UK postage.  Would that be the only difference?   What about Paypal?   What about customs?   Its a small item that could probably go as a large letter.  Thanks

Community Member

Re: Fees for sending internationally?

[ Edited ]
in reply to lovejan123

Same fee`s apply. Ebay fee`s 10% of final value plus postage, PP normal %  plus 20p . Customs  charge if any, is paid by the buyer not the seller.

Community Member

in reply to nannasshadow10

Thanks - so paypal wouldn't charge me a currency conversion?  That is paid by the buyer?

Community Member

in reply to lovejan123

I would not have thought so. I have just received an item from US and me being the buyer and paying is sterling it was me that had to pay a small currency conversion.

Also I have never been charged when any buyer has paid me in a different currency. I`m sure someone will correct me if I`m wrong.

Community Member

Thanks.  Sounds positive.

Community Member

paypal do make an extra charge for currency conversions . it is not the standard % +20p, it is higher - sometimes quite a lot higher

Community Member

in reply to vintage_once_treasured

Hi,

Papal fees,

3.4% + 20p for UK payments

3.9% + 20p for international payments.

Good luck,

Alan

IT DOES NOT COST THE EARTH TO SAVE THE PLANET.
Community Member

in reply to photobits

photobits wrote:

Hi,

Papal fees,

Good luck,

Alan

Is that for posting to The Vatican City?

Community Member

in reply to fastcakes

fastcakes wrote:

photobits wrote:

Hi,

Papal fees,

Good luck,

Alan

Is that for posting to The Vatican City?

Papal fees.    Smiley LOL

To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Community Member

in reply to lovejan123
Community Member

in reply to lovejan123

Hi if you are selling something minimum whether selling within the UK or overseas is around 15% in fees.  eBay takes 10% unless it's in a specific category that is higher, and PayPal takes 3.4% + 20 per transaction.  Rounded up is around 15%.  I sold something to a guy in Canada just before eBay started charging 10% on the p&p.  The postage alone was £18.50!  The guy needed it as it was a vintage car item but if it was nowadays I just couldn't afford the fees.  So it's UK only now.

Large letter to Aus is the same size as the UK but quite a lot more expensive depending on the weight.  We sent a couple of sticker books for toddler's birthday present and got a shock as it was just over £8 airmail.  Now everything will be going surface which of course you can't do for eBay parcels.

Community Newcomer

in reply to lovejan123

To make a summary this is how things are: postage will obviously be more expensive than sending to UK, but you can increase the shipping costs accordingly in the ebay page (or an invoice, before the buyer pays). 

Besides that, the paypal fees are larger for sure. I only know the german fees, and here if i sell in Germany it's 3.4% (+some small change)  and to Japan for example it's 5.2% (plus the small change)

So that's the difference basically. Someone already commented it's 4.9 to Srilanka.

So you lose 1.5% by selling internationally in this case and the 10% from ebay on the postage difference (you can include this small 10% in the postage, that's how many selelrs do it) (for a small package international postage shouldn't be much bigger than local, I know I bought from UK with very reasonable postage)

You don't need to pay anything for customs, it's the person receiving it.

Community Member

in reply to fastcakes

Hi fastcakes,

I must confess  to a spelling error. Smiley LOL

Alan photobts

IT DOES NOT COST THE EARTH TO SAVE THE PLANET.
Community Member

in reply to photobits

Thanks so much everyone, you've been amazingly helpful.  Appreciate it.