Highlighted
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Dubious Ebay Seller

Hi I've been reporting to eBay for the last 2 years a seller constant relisting  different items on the same listing number 

It has got so bad that the seller is showing positive feedback for unrelated items.  The feedback left is for a previous product 

some of the item listing numbers  have had at least 10 or more changes,  and despite only a selling 2 or 3 are show between 300 and 3000+ items sold.  

In essence the quantity sold is fake and the reviews are fake as they're unrelated to the current item being sold  

Ebay are saying there isnt a policy that prevents sellers doing what ever they like. 

Heres an example 

Original item listed in 2012  has had at least 15 product changes on the listing showing its sold over 3000 yet is nearer a couple of hundred.  In the listing it says new for 2018   

Anyone come across these dubious practices before?  

Community Member

Re: Dubious Ebay Seller

in reply to em.karaoke

Forgot to add  that obviously a buyer is making an informed decision on their purchase so looks at the popularity of the item sold and makes an informed purchase by looking at the feedback

except they havent sold as many as they think and the err feedback isnt for that item.  surely ebay have a policy against this 

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke
Y'know I'm not sure there is a policy against this. I know you can totally alter a listing you started under a £1 fvf special offer, to a tally different item so you Kerri that special offer... At least I've seen ppl say they can and they do this.
Community Member

in reply to gindygoo

This seller has items £100 + and because the listings are changed always remains at the top organically 

The feedback obviously is fake and buyers are thinking its for the item they're buying when its not.   

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke

So as it stands if there isn't a policy

the way to sell thousands of products on ebay is Cheat and lie

to keep your original listing item number  with all the positive feedback from customers.  List  a totally different item 

con the customer into thinking the feedback is for the item they're buying 

That can't be right.   I've done some research on the business park where we are and without telling anyone about this. 

I have asked what makes them choose an item 

1  the sellers product feedback on the item  

2  quantity sold thinking its a popular selling item so they'll buy it 

3. The sellers feed back ratings 

I could do it but I wouldnt sleep at night 

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke

Ok had a reply from eBay it is allowed under their policies 

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke

Well , it takes a thief ,to know a thief

I work for N.A.S.A
but
Its not rocket science
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to em.karaoke

em.karaoke wrote:

Ok had a reply from eBay it is allowed under their policies 

Ebay customer services are renowned for telling you what they think you want to hear in order to get you off the phone. It is probably true that Ebay haven't yet written a rule against this practice but that probably just means that no-one in a position of authority has heard of your reports.

You might get more success reporting this to some consumer media or other, of a 'watchdog' nature.

Community Member

in reply to sellsoldstough

I take pride in my ebay account,  my loyalty is always 100% with my customers its not all about the money its supplying a service or product you're passionate about.  Lets hope ebay change the policy.  I buy a lot of stuff on ebay I will certainly do more research to see if the feedback and quantity sold are genuine for that item grin

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke

Can't say i see what is wrong here ...

Community Member

in reply to kate.bill

so its ok to have feedback on the listing for a previous product before you changed it so it decieves the buyer.  and the quantity sold is also not true ?     do you do this too ?  just curious 

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke

Seller was not dubious after all, just some idiot nit picking. 

Community Member

in reply to wyntersemporium

if you call fake reviews nit picking then whos the idiot  grinning

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke

So lets say the seller has listed some really cheap item for 99p and free postage, for arguments sake, we'll say its a phone case

Hes then got 10,000 of these sold, with 100% positive feedback, a couple of neutrals for quality, and 1 neg because it wasn't received

He's then completely overhauled the listing, title, description and all, to change it into a pair of knock off trainers, for £79.99, where his customers think they're buying the genuine goods because all the feedback is completely positive in relation to this item.., however, they turn out to be fakes. 

This is against eBays policy no? Obviously apart from the bit about selling fakes, but its ok to chop and change listings like this?

Community Member

in reply to post-and-alpacaging

I think the difficulty comes in policing it. It probably can't easily be done digitally without penalising sellers who make legitimate use of editing / revising listings.

It's one more good reason why Ebay should listen to those who pay for its service.

Some of us are willing to report things like this - so detection would cost Ebay very little.

All Ebay needs to do is employ a very few extra staff whom they could specially train to analyse reports, working through them quickly to decide what is important. Especially, as here, loopholes which pose a threat to the standards of service offered to buyers.

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke

Does feedback detail the items sold or annoyingly hide it?

Can totally see where you are coming from when checking a seller of a dodgy high value item with a lot of feedback but all private so you could not check if all the positives were for high value or..phone covers.

Then there are those that can buy an ebay account of good standing.....to scam cut and run.

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke
On the desktop version there is an option to "view feedback" which pulls up the feedback for only that listing so you don't have to sift through the full feedback profile to find it
Community Member

post-and-alpacaging wrote:
On the desktop version there is an option to "view feedback" which pulls up the feedback for only that listing so you don't have to sift through the full feedback profile to find it

I think that is not quite what OP is talking about.

The dodgy seller is keeping the same item number on a GTC listing but by revising the listing at intervals and completely changing what is for sale on that listing (the loophole in Ebay policy) his listing is showing thousands of sales which are not of the item currently listed.

The bots don't know the listing has changed; they're only programmed to see the number of sales. Buyers can't know that the high number of sales aren't exclusively for the item they're looking at so they are being deceived into thinking it is more popular (aka desirable) than it is in reality.

Seller is also getting an unmerited boost in 'best match' thus pushing more scrupulous sellers down the page.

For any human to detect this he must watch the seller very carefully, noting how the item number stays the same over a period of months or years (who notes item numbers?) so the scam easily passes under any radar.

Community Member

in reply to em.karaoke
I am aware of that sellsoldtough, I was responding to the comment above mine - you can click on "view feedback" just for that particular item and it will show all the feedback ever given for that item number.
Community Member

The obvious thing for eBay to do is only automatically flag fixed price listings that have sold lots of something, then suddenly had the price hiked up (and in stock, rather than price hiked up on something out of stock so no one buys it) - wouldn't have thought that would be a particular large number of listings for someone to have a quick check on.