Highlighted
Community Newcomer
Accepted Solution

Crazy Buyer No protection for seller whatsoever

Here is a good one for you all , i have been selling now for years without any major issues and recently had a nutcase buyer , i sent the vintage lampshade i sold to him and then received LOADS of emails from him demanding i refund him for the inconvenience of having to clean the lamp shade (Seriously!!!)  i complained to ebay and am still having  threatening emails from him via his own email (not through the ebay system as he obviously knows this is monitored)  as he somehow got hold of my email , he has started sending pictures of various parts of his anatomy (yep) with REALLY weird messages ,even found my facebook page and tried to contact me via that , completely batsh*t crazy , complained again to ebay and they have done NOTHING he is still using ebay and i have a load of horrible feedback which is completely rubbish on my page , you go on the help chat page and i swear they are bots as i complained 3 times and they are use the same stock phrases.

Sellers have NO protection whatsoever.

Community Member

Re: Crazy Buyer No protection for seller whatsoever

in reply to tradesales2018

Erm, dick pics...POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Newcomer

in reply to fastcakes

yep done Smiley Happy

Community Member

Send his emails to your Junk / spam folder, and block there.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Community Member

I had a lot of sympathy for you when I read your post as I've had buyers like this, but then I took a look at the feedback you've left for others.  The feedback for this buyer has been removed, but it's easy to see why.  You cannot leave false positive feedback for buyers calling them a "nasty bit of work" and then expect sympathy from ebay.  I'm not saying that what the buyer is doing is right - if what you're saying is true, they're reprehensible - but you're hardly an innocent victim here.

Ebay have a duty to police their own site, not the entire Internet.  If the buyer paid with Paypal, that's likely how they got their hands on your email address and, unfortunately for you, there's not much that ebay can do to protect you.  Even if they accept that the emails you're receiving are authentic, what do you expect them to do?  Banning the buyer from ebay won't stop them from harassing you.  They have no way of stopping someone from sending you emails or contacting you on facebook, so stop blaming ebay for a situation that if you didn't precipitate, you certainly aggravated.

You've contacted the police.  Now block their emails.  Most email services have either a blacklist or some mechanism that allows you to divert or automatically delete emails from a certain address.  Use it.  If you're using an online service like gmail, you can also report the emails, particularly if they contain inappropriate content, and if they are egregious enough your email provider may contact the buyer's email provider/ISP to make them aware of the abuse.  Document all the messages you've received so far and hand them over to the police, then ignore them.  The best weapon at your disposal is silence - usually cretins like your buyer will get bored when they fail to get a reaction.

For the future I would recommend mentioning in your listings if you have not cleaned the item you're selling.  I sell a lot of antique brass and silver, and when I feel that cleaning would impact the character of the piece I state in the description that it has not been cleaned.  I rarely get complaints from buyers that the items I sell are dirty, and when they do complain I point to the description and that's usually enough to silence them.  Of course, you'll get the occasional loon who expects an antique piece to be in pristine condition - all you can do is deal with them politely and hope that they see sense.  Responding to such creatures with aggression will only invite aggression in return.

Sorry I can't be more sympathetic, but the feedback you've left for some of your buyers is disgusting and I suspect that you issued your share of threats/abuse when the exchange began.

Community Newcomer

What feedback all I ever leave is many thanks??
Community Newcomer

Plus also when a buyer effectively bad mouths you unjustifiably you have no way to warn other sellers that they are a nightmare buyer since they have taken away the ability to leave negative feedback for the buyer, I have a 100% feedback until this fruitloop and have never left bad comments for anyone maybe you should get you facts straight before waffling on
Community Member

"NASTY BUYER LEAVES NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WITHOUT EVEN CONTACT YOU!"

"NASTY BIT OF WORK LEAVES NEG FEEDBACK FOR NO REASON WITHOUT EVEN CONTACTING!!"

Perhaps I'm hallucinating, but that doesn't look like "many thanks" to me.

Community Newcomer

Plus at no time is it ever justified to send someone dick picks
Community Newcomer

Maybe you need to actually get you facts right I had multiple contacts with this nutter not just the one feedback which I left BECAUSE EBAY did f*** all
Community Newcomer

Don't go making judgements without knowing all the facts
Community Newcomer

Maybe you need to actually get you facts right I had multiple contacts with this nutter not just the one feedback which I left BECAUSE EBAY did f*** all
Community Member

You left false positive feedback for multiple buyers.  Fact.  It is against ebay rules.  Fact.  The feedback you left was particularly unpleasant.  Judgement based on facts.

Your repeated replies to my comments also tells me that you have a bit of a temper and don't take criticism well.

I said in my original post that the buyer's behaviour is reprehensible and I'm not making excuses for them.  However, you are not an innocent victim and you are trying to blame ebay for not taking action to prevent something that is outside of their control.

As for not knowing all the facts, when the source is someone who claims to have "never left bad comments for anyone" and then a quick glance at the feedback they have left for others reveals otherwise, the "facts" become even more unclear.

There is no excuse for the buyer's behaviour.  Normally I would say that you can't kick a dog and then expect sympathy when it bites you, but in this case the buyer has crossed the line.  If what you're saying is true, the buyer is deranged.  To send someone offensive images over an ebay dispute is not normal behaviour and you are absolutely right for going to the police.  However, you are wrong for blaming ebay and I think you need to consider whether the buyer's behaviour has escalated as a result of your response to it.

Community Newcomer

I have not left false feedback due multiple buyers you are talking out of your backside anyone else here can check that by looking at my comments, the is always someone who has to pay devil's advocate and try and look clever you cant justify what you said so don't bother as you are obviously full of it
Community Member

@tradesales2018 wrote:
I have not left false feedback due multiple buyers you are talking out of your backside anyone else here can check that by looking at my comments, the is always someone who has to pay devil's advocate and try and look clever you cant justify what you said so don't bother as you are obviously full of it

I don't know what you mean by "false feedback", or how many buyers counts as "multiple", but your feedback left for others includes the following, all for different buyers:

-NASTY BIT OF WORK LEAVES NEG FEEDBACK FOR NO REASON WITHOUT EVEN CONTACTING!!

-NASTY BUYER LEAVES NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WITHOUT EVEN CONTACT YOU!

-This comment has been removed by eBay.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Community Newcomer

I can't be bothered to talk someone who is clearly illogical
Community Member

@tradesales2018 wrote:

in reply to tradesales2018
I can't be bothered to talk someone who is clearly illogical

I love your irony.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Community Member

OP

The above responder you're referring to is not, in your own words, "full of it". He was merely pointing out that, under eBay rules, pos.negs left by sellers are not allowed and, if reported by the buyer(s) concerned, are removed !

"Non Recuso Laborem"

Community Member

@tradesales2018 wrote:

Yes.  Please.  I would love others to go look at the feedback you've left for others.  I haven't trawled through all 34 pages of it, just the first six, but there are three false positives on those first six pages - one removed by ebay, two still on - and I believe that three falls under the definition of "multiple".

I'm not playing devil's advocate at all.  I believe that the buyer contacted you to say that they weren't happy that they had to clean the lampshade, you became irritated (perhaps justifiably) and responded in the same curt and dismissive manner you have shown here.  Unfortunately, you were dealing with someone with an even shorter fuse than you and perhaps a slightly looser grip on reality.  I can completely understand why they would have been annoyed by your response and I'm sure you deserved any rude response that they fired back with.  However, sending you those pictures is not just wrong, it's criminal.

All I am saying is that your hands are not as clean as you portrayed in your original post.  You have left nasty feedback for both buyers and sellers, and the feedback you left this buyer obviously broke ebay's rules or they would not have removed it.  I don't know everything that transpired between you and the buyer, but your feedback along with your conduct on here suggests to me that you are typically rude to anyone who disagrees with you or says something you don't like.

The mark of a good seller, in my book, is not how much positive feedback they get, but how they behave when things go wrong.  When you receive negative or neutral feedback, you attack the person who left it.  I understand.  It's frustrating, particularly if you've done your best, but you need to think about future customers.  Leaving false positive feedback for the buyer is against ebay rules, but more importantly it puts other buyers off.  A polite reply to the feedback either apologising or stating your case will often mitigate the effects of negative/neutral feedback, while attacking the buyer makes you appear irrational and eradicates any sympathy you might otherwise have seen from ebay or many of the members on here.

Community Newcomer

in reply to isaacf6464

seriously dude you must have nothing better to do with your time rather that hassle people lol