Community Member

Buyer saying item is faulty

It's a small pizza oven one you just plug in and have sitting on counter. I made sure it was in perfect working order before sending and spent ALOT of money on packaging to make sure it was adequately packaged. They're now saying a week after delivery that it is not heating up and they have tried to change the fuse but to no avail. I've asked them to send pictures which I am still waiting on. What is the best course of action to take from here? Note the changing of the fuse which I'm not too happy about as they have tampered with the product. I'm an honest seller with not a single negative feedback. Any advice appreciated.
Community Member

Re: Buyer saying item is faulty

[ Edited ]
in reply to joxlee1

Just agree to the return.  If it's faulty then you'll have to refund it and pay for the return postage.  It's completely possible that it has an intermittent fault or was damaged in delivery - your testing before delivery does not prove that it worked after delivery, and you're responsible for it until it gets to them.

If, when you get it back, you find that it does work, then just re-sell it.  You could legally ask the buyer to pay for its return if no fault is found, but ebay don't have a machanism to allow this to happen - if the buyer says it's faulty then the seller pays for its return.  You are not allowed to deduct outward delivery costs when refunding, faulty or not.  Legally, a private seller possibly could deduct it, but ebay wouldn't allow this anyway.

Changing a fuse is not tampering, and is what I'd suggest to anyone with a similar issue.

Alternatively, you can save the return postage cost and just accept their word and refund it.

Unfortunately there isn't a way out that doesn't involve some amount of cost, and you will never know whether this is an honest complaint or not.  From what I've seen, most buyers are decent, honest people and there are very few who tell lies to get refunds.  I'd hope that they get picked up by ebay and booted off if doing this repeatedly, but we don't get any sight of whether this actually happens.

Community Member

in reply to joxlee1

You have to accept the return, unfortunately.

Sometimes people just say something is faulty, just to do the return, unfortunately, eBay will always side with the buyer.

If you refuse the return, eBay will refund and tell them to keep the item AND you will receive a defect on your account.  Too many of these and you cannot sell.

Community Member

in reply to rightgrand
As above, you have to accept the return for a full refund as the product could have been damaged in transit

It may have been working when you posted it, but it appears not to work now so the buyer is due a full refund

Go to the dispute, issue the return label and ask the buyer to return the oven.

Once you receive it back, refund in full
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
There's no dispute been raised at the moment, just messages through my eBay. I've sent them a message now asking them to return it for a refund. Does this need to be done through the resolution centre?
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1

No, you can deal with it yourself if you and the buyer prefer to.

Just be careful of what postage they're using.  If it's big or heavy and they post with Royal Mail it will cost big money, and you should be offering to refund the postage cost as well as the amount they paid.

There are much better value alternatives to Royal Mail, and ebay returns are often pretty decent value plus they include tracking.  If the price offered by ebay is high, you can still choose your own if your prefer.

Community Member

in reply to joxlee1

What would a picture of it prove? I'm intrigued.

Community Member

in reply to fastcakes

fastcakes wrote:

I wondered too.  An uncooked pizza and the buyer with a sad face?

Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
Thanks rightgrand so you're saying I should do it through eBay so I don't get ripped off if they use a service that's too expensive?
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
I want to see what condition it's in compared to when I sent it really, to see if there's any visible damage that could have caused this fault.
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1

Take your detective hat off and get your wallet out - welcome to the wonderful world of online selling!

Yes, ebay returns can cost less than many other options, especially for larger items like yours.

You still have the option to just refund and forget it.  It's a cheaper way out if it is faulty.

Community Member

in reply to rightgrand

There's one further option - if you can prove that it was damaged in delivery AND it was actually covered then you may get compensation from them.

If you used Royal Mail, you may as well just forget it - they've become the cowboys of delivery companies in recent years and will frustrate you with as many roadblocks as possible to prevent you getting any money out of them.

Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
It was too heavy for Royal Mail, I used my Hermes
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
No way am I refunding without receiving the item back first.
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
Just received another message, they are asking for a partial refund so they can take it to an electrical shop, can't agree to that. Would rather just have them send it back. What do you lot think?
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1

That is totally your decision. Either give them a Partial Refund. Or accept the Return and fully Refund. The only thing that would worry me is if they don't pack it securely, and it is returned to you with more damage. You would have been better off selling it for Cash on Collection. Buyer comes and inspects the Item and Pays Cash. No chance of any Returns then. Sold as Seen Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
Think I will with things like that in future. I honestly don't know what to do for best. I'm worried it's some sort of scam, and I don't want to get ripped off but if it genuinely doesn't work due to being damaged in transit then I can claim from the courier.
Community Member

in reply to fastcakes

fastcakes wrote:

That was going to be my question..................................Man Indifferent

.................................................................................

Retired
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
A partial refund so they can take it to an electrical shop - really?

LOL they have ceramic elements that can be replaced but would cost more to do that replace the whole thing. Its probably pressed to the bottom of the hot plate and would need it all replacing.

Its about £30 for an electrical shop just to even look at it.

I think you are being played .... just my opinion.

I would make them send it back, and in future if you are going to send items like this change your return policy to include "The buyer assumes all return costs, the seller does NOT assume return costs" then you are abiding by the distance selling laws and do NOT have to pay returns postage costs in the future. Even if eBay tell you to! If you dont have a statement like this in your returns policy then you have to pay it by law.

This way you can pay returns costs if you wish to be nice or refuse if you think its a scam, but thats a risk in itself of negative feedback - but the choice is then yours to make.
Community Member

in reply to joxlee1
They're mailing it on Monday. I think I'm being played too but I want to see for myself and get it back and take a look at it first