Community Newcomer

Buyer made offer and was accepted, now says they can't pay

Hi all,

Over the weekend I listed an item (on another account) which recieved an offer from a buyer. We exchanged offers a couple of times and settled on a number, which I accepted. A day goes by and no payment, and then I see a message that says that they can't afford to pay because they overspent at the weekend Smiley Mad Surely they don't have a leg to stand on here, and they need to pay for the item? What should I do?

Kind regards

Community Member

Re: Buyer made offer and was accepted, now says they can't pay

in reply to cagee14

48 hours after you accepted the offer open a  non payment case to get your final value fees refunded and give them a non payment strike

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

Community Member

in reply to cagee14

You can't force them to pay so you really have no alternative than to cancel the sale.

You have 2 choices, open an unpaid item case 2 days after the listing ended and close 4 days later, you get a refund of your final selling fee and the non payer gets a strike on their account.  Best option.

Or send them a cancellation request now, buyer change of mind.

Either way add them to your blocked bidder list to stop them doing it to you again.

Merry Everything & A Happy Always Smiley Happy
Community Member

in reply to angelah1847

Normally I would go with the option to send them a cancellation request.

However just lately it seems that buyers totally ignore this and you then have to wait for it to time out before getting your selling fees back - which is somewhat annoying as you are also not supposed to relist it in this time either.

With a buyer like the OP has who happily negotiates a price and then changes their mind, I would be more inclined to go the UPI route personally.

ps Angelah, how long do cancellation requests usually take to time out - is it 10 days or have I just made that up? Cheers Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to double_o_heaven

double_o_heaven wrote:

ps Angelah, how long do cancellation requests usually take to time out - is it 10 days or have I just made that up? Cheers Smiley Happy

That is a good question.

Until recently I thought and advised in posts on here that if a buyer didn't accept a cancellation request then the seller could close it themselves after 10 days to get their fees back.  However approx 2 weeks ago I had a buyer change of mind request so I cancelled the order using the 'buyer asked to cancel the order' as the reason, the fees were refunded immediately and I got a message saying 'all done'.  So maybe it has changed unsure.gif

buyer cancel.png

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to angelah1847

I too have had that the last few times, but I now have one that I requested be cancelled (at buyers request) 9 days ago and nothing happened - and it is still sitting in my unpaid items list...  I will see if I can do anything with it in the next couple of days.

Annoyingly it was for a £100 item - so I did relist it and it sold almost straight away - and was paid for this time.  But in theory the original "non buyer" could change his mind yet again and still pay for it...  

Will try to remember to let you know what happens - if and when I can do something with it! Smiley Happy

Community Member

Mmmmm.....interesting think4.gif

Please do, would be useful to know Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to cagee14

In addition to the advice already given by the previous responders, there is a third option you may wish to consider in order to try to resolve the matter amicably.  What you could do, if you would be prepared to do so,  would be to send the non-paying buyer an e-mail to say that you understand the fact that they're in a bit of an awkward situation financially at the moment, but that if they can pay in full for the item by a certain date then you would consider waiting a bit longer for payment.  I know it's somewhat frustrating, and to be honest you shouldn't really have to do this just to get the money you're owed from the sale of the item, but if you were to send the buyer such a message and he/she could see that you were willing to try to help him/her out of an awkward situation so that he/she could actually pay for the item then you still might be able to get the buyer to pay up, albeit somewhat later than you should have been paid by.  Having said that, though, if the buyer just starts making excuses as to why he/she couldn't agree to those terms, or flatly refused to pay, then I'd just advise you to open an Unpaid Item Dispute and close it within four days from the date and time that you opened it in order to get your Final Value Fees back again.

Community Member

in reply to m25jet

Or an installment plan

Community Member

in reply to england.despargia.jarquix

england.despargia.jarquix wrote:

Or an installment plan

No.

No protection for the buyer at all for that - ebay / paypal isn't set up to handle things that way.

Community Member

in reply to england.despargia.jarquix

england.despargia.jarquix wrote:

Or an installment plan

Come off it!  It's not as if somebody's purchased - and is subsequently struggling to pay for - a brand new motor or something!  This is eBay - a site used by many sellers to sell off their unwanted items!  In addition to the points already raised that the buyer wouldn't have any protection, as well as the fact that neither eBay nor PayPal has been set up to handle payments in this manner, can you imaging the ensuing chaos if eBay were to try their hand at such a scheme?  Suppose the buyer only partially paid the price by the time that the cut-off date came around for opening an Unpaid Item Dispute?  How would things stand then?  If such a scheme were introduced it'd also be necessary to have some kind of Debt Recovery Service run by eBay in case the buyer defaulted on the payments - can you imagine how farcical that would become given eBay's track record of reaching sensible decisions regarding who's in the right and who's in the wrong with regards to a transaction?  I shudder to think what would happen should eBay ever attempt to implement such a scheme and actually decided to put it into practice...

Community Member

in reply to m25jet

Pleeeease don't give them ideas!!

They might cotton onto this and think "oh, well you will need a holding account until all the money is paid up so we would administer that - for a small fee of course, plus all the interest we would make ... before we randomly decide to refund it all to the buyer just as the seller sends the item out" Smiley Very Happy

Community Member

double_o_heaven wrote:

Pleeeease don't give them ideas!!

They might cotton onto this and think "oh, well you will need a holding account until all the money is paid up so we would administer that - for a small fee of course, plus all the interest we would make ... before we randomly decide to refund it all to the buyer just as the seller sends the item out" Smiley Very Happy

If eBay were to implement such an idea I think they'd lose a lot of customers, both buyers and sellers, so it really wouldn't be in their best interests to do so.  Heaven knows they've done some daft things in the past but even eBay aren't that stupid...or are they?

Community Member

in reply to m25jet
I don't think that buyers get the choice to decline cancellations any more

The seller just gets the option to cancel and it goes through without any input from the buyer
Community Member

in reply to myriad*seller

From similar Posts over the last few weeks, I too got the impression that there is now no Option for Buyers to decline a Cancellation. Very unfair when an Out Of Stock Seller, claims they are Cancelling the Transaction because the Buyer Changed their mind when they didn't!

Community Member

in reply to myriad*seller

myriad*seller wrote:
I don't think that buyers get the choice to decline cancellations any more

The seller just gets the option to cancel and it goes through without any input from the buyer

Well mine hasn't "gone through" anywhere yet... Smiley Sad

Community Member

Waiting with baited breath DOH Smiley Happy  Do let us know what happens, the whole Cancellation scenario, seems very random at the moment Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to willslock

Hovering over the little envelope next to my cancelled item it says the following.

"You have approved cancellation of this order - awaiting buyer to confirm refund"

As he never paid, this could take some time...

Its been 11 days since "purchase" now but actually probably only about 8 since I cancelled it so further updates will follow in due course Smiley Happy

Community Member

Ah so Ebay are still checking that Buyers have Received their Refund then. Even though yours did not Pay @double_o_heaven Smiley Happy  Novel Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to willslock

It finally timed out today - I got the usual "you cancelled from xxxx and we already notified them - you have already refunded the buyer for this order (erm nope!) so you're all set... blah blah"

Well at least I get some fees back to set against what is now next months invoice...  and it looks like they do at least stil time out after the 10 days if they dont do it straight away.

Next one will be getting an UPI though!!