Highlighted
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Buyer address problem - consequences of cancellation?

This one looks just a little bit odd and the response to request for confirmation is ambiguous. If I cancel with this reason can they still leave feedback?

Community Newcomer

Re: Buyer address problem - consequences of cancellation?

in reply to sellsoldstough

Yes, they can still leave you feedback.

I am currently on the other side of a conflict like that. and I am totally ready to leave the feedback when I can in 7 days.

Community Member

in reply to mbarki67

Right, thank you for the swift reply. Saved me ringing CS. Going to have to play this one with maximum diplomacy!

Community Newcomer

Good luck... Mine declared me persona non grata for asking them to add a flat number only... 
The Flat number IS and always was displayed on PayPal...  I am astonished.. First time since I joined eBay in 2003 this has been an issue. I hope her life gets better. But negative feedback... she is getting... My very first one... I hope I can find the button :-)

Community Member

in reply to mbarki67

Good luck. Some people are a bit too suspicious and maybe I read the forum too much so get a skewed view.

I sorted this one out in the end. From his profile I know the buyer breaks cars and doesn't use capital letters and the vague address could only mean the large building housing a large posh technology firm. I couldn't see him being employed there given his inability to communicate clearly.

So I rang the firm and the well-spoken lady answering (presumably the receptionist) explained that the guy rents a room from she and her husband and they do take parcels for him!

Community Newcomer

Well, that is the major difference from my seller and you.... You go out of your way to check and sort it out.through communication.. Mine, not so much. Thank you for being the right kind :-)

Community Member

in reply to mbarki67

We all get a bit paranoid from reading this forum.

Leaving negative feedback has to be the last resort. It is a shame for you to have to resort to that for the first time because, in a way, it is difficult to do it without raising doubts in those who sell to you. The first place an experienced seller will look is 'feedback left for others' if he feels in the slightest doubtful about a buyer or he's sending a very expensive item for example.

If you really cannot get sense out of your seller I'd say it might be more productive, and less damaging to you, to complain to Ebay about the seller. They are dead against sellers who cause any problems at all for their buyers. Negative feedback doesn't really do that much damage to a seller because it slips down the page quickly enough and people are more concerned about whether the price and quality are right because they are fully protected by the Ebay money back guarantee one way or another so seller feedback is often overlooked.

Community Newcomer

I have already had 3 different eBay Support team members read all the communication and they all say that I have done all that I could to make it right. 2 of them called my communication polite and fair.
I think the bit that is getting them is that she claims that eBay told her to Cancel and since all of her communication has stopped. All  eBay Support says they did not tell her to..  So I think she has bugged them by lying too.  Bit unwise when she knows they can read all the messages I think.. and totally not needed. I added my flat to the address for her even if eBay Support said that they had no issue.. I would have understood if there had been a good bit of time between the purchase and the note to add the Flat number, you know. could have been someone detouring the item. though a bigger change would have been needed. But the addition of the flat number was at the time of purchase.  So I must admit to be puzzled to how I became so scary.

Community Member

in reply to mbarki67

On the other side of the coin, the seller is told only to post to the address that appears on the PayPal payment. This will be the address that was shown to you on the ebay checkout page. It is not the address that is on your actual PayPal account. Buyers can use any address they want when they go through checkout, so hence your PayPal address is irrelevant.

The only bit of protection that sellers get is if they post to the address on the PayPal payment transaction. It is a moot point whether or not adding a flat number would invalidate that protection......but it may well do so. That would be extremely costly to the seller if the buyer subsequently did a chargeback against the payment. Not only would they lose the item and the payment but also they would pay a hefty admin charge too.

I do not doubt for a second that eBay told the seller to cancel the sale because you asked them to alter the address slightly.

I am also dubious of the fact that customer support would discuss phone calls with another member. They are very good at agreeing with a caller and saying pretty much anything to appease them.

Community Member

in reply to mbarki67

Hopefully your complaint will be entered into some sort of automated part of Ebay because if you're just speaking to CS on the phone or via live chat and not using some sort of 'report button', if there is such a thing, for your case, it may be just another 'recorded conversation' which is unlikely ever to be read (as that can't be done by a machine - or probably not, who knows these days!)

That's why negative feedback isn't as effective as it used to be. Ebay no longer counts it as a defect against a seller the way they used to. The only way you can cause damage to a seller's account now is to open a case and, having receievd no satisfaction after so many days, close it and get your refund. The seller then gets a defect which is damaging if they have more than a very small number within one year - I think it's 2 max and then they throw you off but can't remember without looking it up. If the transaction has been cancelled, there may be no way to do this now but if you didn't accept the cancellation then it shouldn't have been possible for the seller to cancel.

Community Newcomer

in reply to grimgors_mum

In this case my PayPal is and always have been with the flat number.

I edited the eBay one to buy her re-listed item but was blocked from doing so.. so I adjusted all I could for her and prior to that I even said that I was happy for her to send it with no address number.... I could take a book and sit on the steps waiting for UPS with my Passport to prove who I was & sign for it.. clearly should have been enough... I would also have been happy to pick it up at the Local UPS office if that had been better..  So I have no idea what else I could have done to please her.

Community Newcomer

I did not accept the Cancellation. It is not a monetary matter though. She has fully refunded me

And now I feel bad... It appears that I de-toured your post

Community Member

in reply to mbarki67

Not sure how that works. If she refunded you without cancelling at least she won't get her selling fee back (about 10% of price + shipping) as Ebay would more or less automatically read that as a sale gone though successfully. She would get her Paypal fees (about 3.4%)  back less 20p. She's a bit paranoid. Probably reads too many scam stories. It's rare for the address in Ebay order details to be different from the one in Paypal though. Don't recall that ever happening to me.

Don't worry about diverting a thread. We just love to chat here as it gives us a chance to stop ourselves working!

Community Member

in reply to mbarki67

@mbarki67 wrote:

In this case my PayPal is and always have been with the flat number.

I edited the eBay one to buy her re-listed item but was blocked from doing so.. so I adjusted all I could for her and prior to that I even said that I was happy for her to send it with no address number.... I could take a book and sit on the steps waiting for UPS with my Passport to prove who I was & sign for it.. clearly should have been enough... I would also have been happy to pick it up at the Local UPS office if that had been better..  So I have no idea what else I could have done to please her.

Your PayPal address is irrelevant. The seller does not get to see it. They merely see the address that you confirmed on the ebay checkout page.

When a seller fights a claim form item not received or a chargeback the only proof which is accepted is the proof of delivery or proof of of postage (depending on the claim). The address must match exactly to the one ebay put on the payment transaction in PayPal. 

Community Newcomer

in reply to grimgors_mum

Yes, I see the point of that. I have my own reasons to not have the Flat number on as I was selling before buying on eBay.

Even when I said I would deal with it withUPS when the tracking arrived that I could share any information including phone number with them... that she could send it unedited.. She was not willing.. Item was never sent.. Cancelled and refunded. 

Community Member

in reply to mbarki67

Which is exactly what most of us on here would have told the seller to do. Although that advice may well have been affected by what the item in question was. So if it was a cheap, run of the mill, boring item then many sellers would actually have risked it. On the other hand if it was a mobile phone, or another expensive item then the seller did the wisest thing by cancelling and refunding.

I suggest you edit your address for future purposes. Incidentally, unless you are a registered business seller, then the buyer never gets to see your address on here. However if they opened a returns are against you then your incomplete address would be printed on the return label supplied by eBay. The tracking relating to that label only has to show as attempted delivery for the buyer to get a refund. eBay will also force the refund if the parcel,is returned to the buyer because it was undeliverable for any reason.

Community Newcomer

in reply to grimgors_mum

My address was edited for her convenience about an hour before she cancelled and she was advised that I had edited it by message.
I also said to go ahead and send it to the Address that is unedited a good hour before the cancellation too.  

Note that I did not at all know that she would get a fee for this kind of change.. I do not think that the seller should be charged for this sort of issue.

I like that you are posting as the other side :-)

I may have missed something important that would impair the level of my feedback (in 6 more days)..  If I am going to leave bad feedback. at least I want to be right.. That is why there has been 2/3 Chats with eBay team... (2 Chats, but 3 people as I got passed to a different team in one of them)
I am a little surprised and disappointed that you say they tell you what you like to hear and will side with the person they are talking to.. I would sure like to know if I am in the wrong outright, or has not done enough to passify a sitution or my wording appears to be challenging, sarcastic or otherwise not really be helping. I will keep that in mind for future conversations if any.. This is my first situation I have needed to talk to them about.

So ... if you were the seller... And after several messages with screenshots of PayPal address (Only because she quoted that as being linked to a guarentee), and me saying I would be happy for it to be sent totally unedited.. that I was willing to sit on the steps with my Passport to wait for UPS to sign for it. Or pick it up at the UPS office down the road. Would you really have cancelled it?

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to grimgors_mum

@grimgors_mum wrote:

Which is exactly what most of us on here would have told the seller to do. Although that advice may well have been affected by what the item in question was. So if it was a cheap, run of the mill, boring item then many sellers would actually have risked it. On the other hand if it was a mobile phone, or another expensive item then the seller did the wisest thing by cancelling and refunding.

I suggest you edit your address for future purposes. Incidentally, unless you are a registered business seller, then the buyer never gets to see your address on here. However if they opened a returns are against you then your incomplete address would be printed on the return label supplied by eBay. The tracking relating to that label only has to show as attempted delivery for the buyer to get a refund. eBay will also force the refund if the parcel,is returned to the buyer because it was undeliverable for any reason.

You lost me somewhere either in this post or one of your previous ones. Are you sure you're not mixing up buyer and seller? Or is it just my head?

Community Member

in reply to grimgors_mum

@grimgors_mum wrote:

Your PayPal address is irrelevant. The seller does not get to see it.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but what are you on about?

Community Newcomer

12:56:51 UTC Leslie
I understand. Be assured that if your PayPal address is correct, the seller should be able to see this from their end as well and send the item as this is protected by PayPal.

This is from the Chat transcript from one of the Chats... I can not tell you how though... lol.. I have not had any issues before now.. Only ever returned 1 item because it looked totally different in colour. but I did not leave bad feedback because it was not at all her fault. I tried to take a picture to show the differences and it was just not possible to get that item to look different from the photo in the listing. So I returned it at my cost. I bought a different one though that is the right colour from the same seller :-)