Community Newcomer

Buyer accusing of false advertising

i clearly stated in the Item Descrption what was for sale - 1 item (the picture was of two as i had two for sale) i said in big capitals letters please read before purchase, this listings is for one item 1 purchase=1 pack of 2.  the buyer says he only received one and that i falsely advertised.  i copied and pasted the very clear details from the Item Decsription.  the buyer admits he did not read it and that if i do not do as he asks then he will blemish my record (stating exactly what my ratings are) and report me but also that he is waiting to see what my reply is.  i have replied twice and still he is saying i deliberately mislead and that he could buy the item for cheaper elsewhere.   am about to reply that he can buy whatever he likes form whoever he likes, only he chooses to buy what he does, i do not make the postal charges for small parcels - Royal Mail does - so i did not charge him that, that is down to how much they charge to post the item.

i have no idea where i stand with ebay.  as a seller it seems they support buyers at all costs.  where do i stand with someone who admitted he did not read the listing and then blames me for mis-leading?  i am losing patience and offended that someone is saying i have done anything deliberately when they openly admit they did not read it.

Community Member

Re: Buyer accusing of false advertising

in reply to treegreeninc

you falsely advertied,

you should only of had one pair in the picture,

your description said 1 pack of two, socks are described as pairs, so one pack of two means 1 pack of two pairs of socks, not one pack of two socks!

the picture showed two pairs of socks, the buyer expected two pairs of socks.

if he opens a not as described case ebay will make you pay to have them returned and make you refund in full.

Community Member

in reply to treegreeninc

Whether intentional or not, your listing is misleading.  You have 2 options - send the buyer the second pair of socks that they quite reasonably expected or pay for them to return the one pack they have for refund.  Given your attitude to the buyer it seems likely that you wwill receive bad feedback whichever option you choose.

If it was me i would be apologising profusely to the buyer and sending them their other pair of socks.

Community Newcomer

in reply to pixiesen2012

but i did send him 1 pack of two pairs? .  the item description explained exactly what the listing was for.  it said i have two packs of two pairs, this listing is for 1 pack of two - as in two pairs.  it said when one pack of two pairs is sold i will re-list the second pack of two pairs.  if the buyer does not read the item description which explains exactly that the listing is for one pack of two pairs i dont understand how that is the sellers fault? i am just a regular seller not out to mislead or gain anything. 

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to treegreeninc

Why bother with all the misleading description (which he obviously hasn't read anyway) and stuff about re-listing once one pair sells ?

Just put up a photo of one pack of socks and put 2 in the quantity field when listing the item.

Job done, no confusion and no comeback.

Community Newcomer

in reply to listagogo

i dont have an attitude to the buyer, this is the very tired end result from rather odd messages the buyer has sent me.  can someone please explain to me in simple terms as obviously i am not understanding why you are telling me i should be apologising profusely  ? 

if the buyer does not read the Item Decsription which VERY clearly states EXACTLY what is for sale how is that my error?  i am not there when they choose to buy or not buy or read or not read something. 

i also have recently had a buyer who absolutely flew at me when royal mail did not deliver the item and refused that i had had proof of postage,  blamed me for not using a better postal service when they paid £1 TOTAL for the item PLUS postage and left negative feedback without waiting the ten days required by royal mail to check if the item was delivered. 

i understand things happen but i do find this keyboard warrior messages people send very difficult to deal with.  i also have no way of replying to the buyer as the buyer is always right regardless.  ebay are very unsupportive of sellers, hence why i came on here for advice . you know, sometimes things happen, its that simple, there is no need for odd messages with no way of explaining yourself or support.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to treegreeninc

As the buyer has admitted that he did not read the listing he has weakened his argument considerably.  Use this to your advantage.  In your response to the buyer quote the part of the item description that makes it clear what the buyer's getting, emphasising the part where it states "...this listing is for one item..." so that you can prove that you did make reference to that in the listing; however, it would have been better to just show one item only, as opposed to showing two items, so as to avoid any potential for confusion.

With regards to the buyer's threats to damage your feedback and report you to eBay you can also use this to your advantage.  For the moment just say something along the lines of "I am open to the option of settling this matter amicably, but I do not believe that your threats to damage my feedback are conductive to settling this matter amicably", or words to that effect.  Then let that part of the argument go, even if the buyer comes back with more retorts about leaving bad feedback.  If he does then it may well help to strengthen your case, so long as you word your responses in a manner that cannot be seen by eBay to be antagonising the buyer, as you could then also report the buyer to eBay for feedback extortion.

Should the buyer carry out his threat of leaving negative feedback report the buyer using to eBay, referring them to any instances in the buyer's e-mails whereby the buyer states that he will blemish your ratings if you do not do as you're told.  Once you've reported him for this breach of policy any negative comments left for you by this buyer will likely be removed by eBay.  All that remains to do then is to ensure that you've added this buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List so that he cannot purchase anything else from you in the future and do anything like this again.

Community Newcomer

in reply to kidmore_kats

easy to say now! the only photo i had, had both pairs on, i tried to do a listing for multiple but it wouldnt let me - but im not blaming ebay am i for that malfunction?  i couldnt take another photo as i didnt have the items on me.  hence why i clearly put ALL the required info in the description.

Community Member

in reply to treegreeninc

the photo is part of the description,

you should have sent what was in the photo

Community Newcomer

in reply to m25jet

thank you - i had no intention of misleading or antagonising but did feel quite aggrieved at  the tone of the messages form the buyer and felt i wasnt in a position to "apologise profusely".  this makes sense to me as a seller who is genuine and genuinely wishes for  peaceful sales but doesnt feel supported by ebay should things go wrong in someone elses eyes.

Community Member

in reply to treegreeninc

You should have cropped the photo.  Ebay don't expect buyers to read descriptions for clarification as its not that easy on a mobile device using their app.

Community Newcomer

in reply to papso22

really?  i wouldnt bid on somehting i hadnt read what it was all about and i CAN do that on a phone, its a pain but i CAN do it  and i would expect others to do this also.

SURELY the buyer has to have some responsibiliuty SOMEWHERE?  all the onus cant possibly be on the seller to enure a buyer actually reads the post? how can a seller know everything a buyer may or may not do? 

the tone of his messages basically said    i didnt read it, therefore you mislead me and you need to send me what i THOUGHT i was getting or i will blemish your record. 

i dont find that acceptable, i cant mislead someone if THEY havent read it. 

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to treegreeninc

Yes really, and they didn't need to not read the description to be mislead, they just needed to see two packs in the photo.  A seller has to ensure their listing is clear, unambiguous and not open to misinterpretation.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to papso22

papso22 wrote:

Yes really, and they didn't need to not read the description to be mislead, they just needed to see two packs in the photo.  A seller has to ensure their listing is clear, unambiguous and not open to misinterpretation.

Having said that, a buyer ought to use his/her common sense and study the photos and read the item description thoroughly so as to get an accurate idea as to what is being offered before making a decision as to whether or not to purchase the item.  If the buyer had done this then the chances of the transaction ending the way that it has ended in this instance would have been considerably lower.  I don't see why the seller ought to be given the blame for the buyer's failure to do this prior to committing to purchasing the item.

Community Member

in reply to m25jet

BNWT 2 in each pack Karrimor womens Trekking Socks size 4-8 black purple grey

That is the title of the listing and there are two packs in the picture

As the photo is part of the description I would expect to receive both packs.

The title tells you what the product is and it is BNWT so why read the description?

If the description needs to be read it should say so in the title IMO.

Better still mention in the title that it is for only one pack.

Better - Better still have the photo show only one pack.  

As the listing is it was asking for trouble even if a potential buyer did read the description - they could still claim ignorance and make things difficult for the seller.

Community Newcomer

in reply to daggorx

yes but the title only gives you so much space to write in, hence why i put all the instructions very clearly in big capitals letters on the listing. 

i think the buyer had issues from the start. i sent him a message saying i had posted it and he replied with a  odd message saying you will see my feelings on the item when i leave you feedback.  this was before he had recieved it and i was only telling him i had posted it because my phone does not give me  access to the mark as dispatched option.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to treegreeninc

But the title tells the buyer what is for sale and the pictures show the item.

A BNWT item should not need any more explanation so going to the description - especially apparently on the app where it is not as easily accessible as it should be (don't use it personally so no 1st hand knowledge) should not be necessary IMO.

If there is something else to say about the item then putting -PLEASE SEE DESCRIPTION - in the title is advisable.

The colour and sizes can then be stated there if there are not enough characters to accomodate.

Still best policy to only have pictures of what you are actually selling even if you do have a great description in 2'' red letters - saves a lot of misunderstanding.

Maybe they noticed the description after purchase and were not happy to only have bought one and not the two they expected?

Community Newcomer

in reply to daggorx

i have learnt from this and despite many easy transactions, will be adding every single possible clause to each and every listing henceforth.  ebay does not protect sellers in any way.  its not possible to for me to post the numerous odd messages i have had from this buyer but many words and phrases in them are not acceptable.  i came on this forum for some sensible advice as ebay does not make it possible to ask for any solutions. Regardless of what any buyer says to a seller, it appears the only solution given is apologise profusely, give them a full refund purely to not receive negative feedback . the seller has no way of re-course regardless of the manner of messages they recieve - its makes an absolute mockery of the whole feedback system. 

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to treegreeninc

Adding clauses to your listing is not the answer - nobody will read them and they will mean nothing an a dispute becuause Ebay, not you, will decide the outcome and won't even look mat your clauses.

The answer in your case is simple - make the lstings and the pictures non-ambiguous.  Your listing was the cause of the problem, not the buyer and not Ebay.

Community Newcomer

in reply to treegreeninc
The buyer has stated he "can prove an adequate item is cheaper". You can't compare a branded item with an adequate similar item. He basically didn't like what he bought and didn't read the very clear description. He has used ebays non support of sellers to his advantage. Ithe same goes for proof of postage being meaningless yet buyers understandably don't want to pay increased royal mail charges, so they blame the seller. Basically ebay doesn't care who sells, they eArn a fee regardless and if one seller leaves they are replaced by another. The system is pretty flawed