Community Member

Buyer Saying Item Damaged GSP

Hello

Buyer purchased a dress with small defect to rear (listed clearly in listing with photos) as it arrived they said it has multiple cuts (which are not on the seam, looks to me like it was done purposely) - buyer has demanded refund via paypal, they did send me a message via ebay saying their assistant told them the package it arrived in was damaged, but they have just opened a refund request saying item was received with cuts and so item is not as described. I have replied, with pictures stating item arrived to GSP, pictures of dress in listing with no cuts (the cuts they said happened are evident in the pictures it wasnt damaged) and even when they stated the item arrived damaged, what do you think the outcome would be? Im nervous i will have to issue a refund, i will i have all the relevant documentation to back me up it arrived to GSP fine, the buyer said it arrived damaged & item being listed fairly with pictures.

i have heard as it was done via GSP they would be liable for this, however would this be true? 

Community Member

Re: Buyer Saying Item Damaged GSP

in reply to ellie-selena

My normal advice stands plus an extra bit =

You need to be extremely careful how you handle this as you could be seriously out of pocket if you try to handle this yourself.

Your buyer needs to open a case for not as described 'damaged in transit' and you respond and you cite that according to Global T&C you, the seller, are not responsible for any loss or damage in transit once it has arrived at the Global hub.

Plus

You should cut & paste their message saying the package arrived damaged - so it's obviously 'damaged in transit'.

Community Member

in reply to ellie-selena

Is it possible that it was cut when someone cut open the packaging?  However it is their word against yours so it is not going to go well I'm afraid.

Community Member

in reply to canvas_demon

I am not sure, but it has been stated when sending via GSP, my responsibility is to get the item to the GPS station, i have emails from ebay stating they received item, so surely the package hadnt been tampered with for the part of the journey I covered, from when it left GPS station it is their liability so surely it shouldnt be down to me?

canvas_demon wrote:

Is it possible that it was cut when someone cut open the packaging?  However it is their word against yours so it is not going to go well I'm afraid.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to ellie-selena

If your Buyer has Opened a Not As Described Case with Ebay, rather than PayPal, you will have to convince Ebay that the Item was Damaged in Transit, otherwise you could lose the Case and have to Pay the Return Postage and fully Refund. 

Community Member

in reply to willslock

willslock wrote:

As above, if your Buyer has Opened a Not As Described Case with Ebay, rather than PayPal, you will have to convince Ebay that the Item was Damaged in Transit, otherwise you could lose the Case and have to Pay the Return Postage and fully Refund. 

What if I have a message from the buyer saying the item packaging was damaged when it arrived?

Community Member

in reply to ellie-selena

That is what you have to prove to Ebay. Copy and Paste the Buyers Message into the Case Notes. If the Case does go against you, make sure you appeal.

Community Member

in reply to willslock

Ok thank you for your advice, they have opened a refund request to which i responded and mentioned my views on the GSP programme and how the item arrived damaged and how it wasnt to do with my listing, I also added photos of the dress condition when listed it, also a picture of the buyer saying packaging was damaged and also a picture of ebay confirming they received parcel. Apparently a case will not properly open till 29/04 to which i can then ask ebay to intervene. Fingers crossed.

willslock wrote:

That is what you have to prove to Ebay. Copy and Paste the Buyers Message into the Case Notes. If the Case does go against you, make sure you appeal.

Community Member

in reply to ellie-selena

Whatever you do Elle do not Escalate the Case to Ebay on the 29th. That could result in you losing your Money, and the Buyer being able to keep the Dress. You have added all the appropriate information into the Case, just leave well alone now and hope your Buyer does not Escalte the Case to Ebay. If they do and you lose, Appeal. If your Buyer doesn't Escalate the Case, do nothing and it will time out in your favour.

Community Member

in reply to willslock

willslock wrote:

Whatever you do Elle do not Escalate the Case to Ebay on the 29th. That could result in you losing your Money, and the Buyer being able to keep the Dress. You have added all the appropriate information into the Case, just leave well alone now and hope your Buyer does not Escalte the Case to Ebay. If they do and you lose, Appeal. If your Buyer doesn't Escalate the Case, do nothing and it will time out in your favour.

what is confusing me as I have read online a refund request is not a case? When i go to my resolution centre it isnt there, I think from the 29th april it could be made in to a case? not quite sure of the difference

Community Member

in reply to ellie-selena

Just a note of warning your Prada Bag you are Selling, needs to be Posted by Special Delivery so you are fully covered for loss or damage. I personally would not Sell it on here, too risky.

I would also take all your Listings down before you go on Holiday. They all seem to be BIN's. Nothing stopping anyone buying your Items while you are away, then leaving you bad Feedback and low Stars for despatch. I am taking my Listings down shortly before I go away. 

Community Member

in reply to willslock

Thank you for your advise, if I sell my prada bag I WILL NOTTTT be selling this via global shipping programme, also i would definitely post it special delivery with cover of up to £500, I havent got round to changing the listing.

I think with all this drama it isnt worth the hassle so think I will take my listings down, dont need the drama, I am a genuine seller, selling genuine products and honest as I can be. so before I go away will take them down and re-list them when I am back.

willslock wrote:

Just a note of warning your Prada Bag you are Selling, needs to be Posted by Special Delivery so you are fully covered for loss or damage. I personally would not Sell it on here, too risky.

I would also take all your Listings down before you go on Holiday. They all seem to be BIN's. Nothing stopping anyone buying your Items while you are away, then leaving you bad Feedback and low Stars for despatch. I am taking my Listings down shortly before I go away. 

Community Member

in reply to willslock

willslock wrote:

suppose i could also change the dispatch time, to 20 days, that way i am being honest and its buyers fault for not reading listing?

Community Member

in reply to ellie-selena

Yes the terminology is confusing. A Request is a Case. Buyer opens a Case, either for Item Not Received, or Item Not As Described/Faulty/Damaged/Missing Parts/Fake etc. The Seller has 7 days to communicate with the Buyer and accept the Return or Not. If the Seller Refuses, and the Case is Escalated after 8 Full Days, Ebay Step In and usually provide the Buyer with a Returns Label, charged to the Seller. Once the Item is Posted back to the Seller, and the Tracking shows Delivered, or Attempted Delivery, Ebay Refund the Buyer from the Sellers PayPal Account. Sellers can Appeal, but usually unsuccessfully.

Community Member

in reply to ellie-selena

Sorry should have said, Read Ebays Money Back Gaurantee, it is on every listing Page. Is more complicated though for the GSP, as you have found out.  Anyway good luck, any more problems just come back here Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to willslock

Yes i feel i stand a chance as i have proof of buyer admitting package was damaged and it arrived at GPS fine, fingers crossed, thanks for your help.

Community Member

in reply to ellie-selena

"What if I have a message from the buyer saying the item packaging was damaged when it arrived?"

Already answered in post #2 .

Community Member

in reply to willslock

willslock wrote:

Sorry should have said, Read Ebays Money Back Gaurantee, it is on every listing Page. Is more complicated though for the GSP, as you have found out.  Anyway good luck, any more problems just come back here Smiley Happy

Spoke with ebay over the weekend, I asked to speak with somebody with regards to GSP, they did transfer me through. He was very blunt and said they can not do anything until the 30th Apri (typical - the day i go on holiday) but he did mention if the buyer hasnt kept the packaging of have any pictures of damage to the packaging then the case will not likely end in my favour, I couldnt believe it - shocking! My money and the likelihood of my refund is in the buyers hands, they received the item a week ago, they have not kept the packaging, nor taken photos! 

Community Member

in reply to ellie-selena

Yes it is shocking but not surprising I'm afraid. Will cost you a lot to get your Dress back, hopefully it isn't damaged, they could be just saying that to get a Refund. You could just Refund and tell the Buyer to keep the Dress, I know not a great idea, but it would save you having to Pay for the Return Postage. Make sure you add this Buyer to your Blocked Bidders List so they cannot Buy from you again. In the meantime don't let it spoil your holiday Smiley Happy

Community Member

in reply to willslock
They have sent photos, the dress is massively damaged, slices everywhere on the dress! Would be no use to me. So ill see how to ebay case goes, I think I will just come to terms with the refund and what will be will be, luckily this is only £25 we are talking.

I will not be shipping GSP again!