Highlighted
Community Newcomer
Accepted Solution

Buer never at home to take delivery

I wonder if anyone else has come across this problem?

My buyer purchased an item with free shipping. I used Hermes as cheaper. They have attempted delivery 3 times, but buyer is  never at home as he works during the day.  He told me this by email after 2nd attempt. I asked him if he could re arrange delivery when he will be at home. His reply was 'Nope'!  He was expecting it to be delivered by RM and he would collect from his local sorting office. Parcel is now on it's way back to me. He hasn't asked for a refund and I think he's expecting me to re send by RM, but if I do that I won't make any profit at all on item.   

Any advice on where I stand would be very welcome.

Community Member

Re: Buer never at home to take delivery

[ Edited ]
in reply to get6666

Did the postage section on the listing state that shipping was by Royal Mail?  If so, that's how you should have shipped.  Many buyers won't buy from sellers who use couriers, for the reason you describe - they can't be home to accept delivery.

Community Member

in reply to get6666

@get6666wrote:

I think he's expecting me to re send by RM, but if I do that I won't make any profit at all on item.   

Which delivery company did you specify on the listing?  I've just looked at the jacket you sold on the 11th and the postage clearly states RM.  If it was this item, or if you stated RM on whichever listing it was, then it should be RM.  The buyer may not have bought the item if he had known it was going to be delivered by Hermes.

You have to do as you have stated in the listing, and set your postage costs accordingly.
..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Community Member

in reply to get6666

Your Listings have RM Shipping, that is what you should use. I would be very hacked off if you sent an Item to me using Hermes. A lot of Buyers do not like Hermes, they only buy from Sellers who use RM. Your Buyer is quite right how he can rely on collecting his Item from the Sorting Office at his convenience. When you get the Item back you will have to fully Refund your Buyer.

Community Member

in reply to get6666
If you advertised RM then you need to resend it via RM. Otherwise you'll have to cancel the sale refund the full amount including original postage (oops you have free p&p) if any stipulated. This'll allow to buyer give you a neg, which you'd also fully deserve imo.

You cannot ask the buyer pay more for a service they've already paid for.

Do the right thing, resend it via the postal method you've advertised ~ and suck up the loss, unfortunately. If you deal with the customer with humility and apologise you might avoid any neg they're considering!
Community Member

in reply to get6666

@get6666wrote:

My buyer purchased an item with free shipping. I used Hermes as cheaper. They have attempted delivery 3 times, but buyer is  never at home as he works during the day.  He told me this by email after 2nd attempt. I asked him if he could re arrange delivery when he will be at home. His reply was 'Nope'!  He was expecting it to be delivered by RM and he would collect from his local sorting office. Parcel is now on it's way back to me. He hasn't asked for a refund and I think he's expecting me to re send by RM, but if I do that I won't make any profit at all on item.   

Any advice on where I stand would be very welcome.

I would be furious if a seller did that as I avoid buying from sellers who use couriers for that very reason.  No wonder your buyer said that he wouldn't rearrange delivery.  You have an unhappy buyer and need to be very apologetic and offer to resend it at your expense using RM or refund them if that is their preference.  Don't be surprised if they mark you down in feedback.

Community Member

in reply to get6666

I will merely repeat what everyone else has said. You cannot change the delivery method just because you found out Royal Mail was more expensive. The time to research all that is before you list the item.

I totally agree with the buyer. 

Community Newcomer

Re: Buyer never at home to take delivery

in reply to get6666

Thanks for all the replies, but I am actually enquiring on behalf of someone else, who didn't stipulate RM as the carrier and has previously sent all their  items by Hermes, without a problem. The main annoyance is the buyer allowed 3 delivery attempts, knowing they would fail and would not entertain trying to re arrange a weekend delivery.

Community Member

in reply to get6666

I don't think it is that easy to Re-arrange Courier Deliveries, that is why they are cheaper than RM. They normally leave the Item in a Bin, Shed, Outhouse or with a Neighbour, a lot of the Items then seem to disappear?

Community Member

in reply to get6666

Then your friend is stuffed. The buyer can claim for item not received and they will get a full refund. Your friend may well have to pay for the courier to return the item to them.

Community Member

in reply to get6666

He was expecting it to be delivered by RM

What exactly did your friend put on their listing for the buyer to expect delivery by Royal Mail?

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to get6666

@get6666wrote:

Thanks for all the replies, but I am actually enquiring on behalf of someone else, who didn't stipulate RM as the carrier and has previously sent all their  items by Hermes, without a problem. The main annoyance is the buyer allowed 3 delivery attempts, knowing they would fail and would not entertain trying to re arrange a weekend delivery.

So why post in the first person, as if this had happened to you...? You've wasted everyone's valuable time by doing that.  Just tell the 'someone else' to post here themselves, so they can be provided with accurate advice.

Also, it is not possible to rearrange courier deliveries, for any day, let alone the weekend. That's why they're cheaper than Royal Mail.

Community Newcomer

in reply to rusticrye

Silly me thinking 'oh that's a good idea,  I'll post a question on the discussion board (naively thinking fellow ebayers might be happy to help and/or experienced the same problem), so it seemed  unnecessary to go into extra explanation that it was on behalf of someone else, as I didn't expect MY listings/sales to be scrutinised.  A problem is a problem, whether it's mine or someones else's, so it's not true I've wasted other's time. The seller has done everything as he should, but could still be penalised and/or forced to pay the postage again (it was freepost) so I thought I would ask on his behalf.  The item sold is lightweight, but bulky and Hermes are much cheaper than RM and the seller has sold at least 10 without a problem.  The buyer didn't look at the listing properly and is being deliberately awkward. 

Just trying to help someone else, but I wish I'd never bothered now!

Community Member

in reply to get6666

Happy to help but there is not really a solution.

The problem is that the buyer is not at home and has no arrangement to receive parcels, perhaps anticipating that the package would come via R Mail and he could then collect it. Not a good option for many people, with sorting offices closing. 

However it was sent via Hermes which would have been fine had he been at home, or suggested it could be delivered to a neighbour if he was out.

In this case you hope that Hermes will return it and the buyer can be refunded (and blocked) or the item re-sent by RM. Sorry but there is going to be some loss here.

As has been shown by the replies you have received, some people have a dislike of low cost courier services like Hermes, although there are great many others who are happy to use them.

There is a problem if a listing states Royal Mail delivery and then another service is used, however, having tried to list on our non business site for selling off personal items, I can see no option to choose our own courier. The only options were RM or Shutl so I can see that the seller may have just ticked the RM box in order to get the item listed.

All I can say is better luck next time.

Community Member

in reply to canvas_demon

@canvas_demonwrote:

Happy to help but there is not really a solution.

The problem is that the buyer is not at home and has no arrangement to receive parcels, perhaps anticipating that the package would come via R Mail and he could then collect it. Not a good option for many people, with sorting offices closing. 

However it was sent via Hermes which would have been fine had he been at home, or suggested it could be delivered to a neighbour if he was out.

In this case you hope that Hermes will return it and the buyer can be refunded (and blocked) or the item re-sent by RM. Sorry but there is going to be some loss here.

As has been shown by the replies you have received, some people have a dislike of low cost courier services like Hermes, although there are great many others who are happy to use them.

There is a problem if a listing states Royal Mail delivery and then another service is used, however, having tried to list on our non business site for selling off personal items, I can see no option to choose our own courier. The only options were RM or Shutl so I can see that the seller may have just ticked the RM box in order to get the item listed.

All I can say is better luck next time.

When I go to set up a listing on my personal account I am able to choose from several options including Collect+, Hermes, Yodel and DPD in addition to  RM and Shutl.  I'm not sure why you are unable to do that.