Community Newcomer

Adding Tracking - Predictive Courier

Does anyone know of a way to turn off the predictive courier when entering tracking? Tracking numbers we use for 2 couriers bring up the wrong courier automatically.

Community Member

Re: Adding Tracking - Predictive Courier

in reply to lbsbmonline

There is one way to manually override the predictive courier feature when entering the tracking number.  Rather than entering the number correctly, deliberately enter one or two characters that shouldn't be there, making sure that it's something that'll stick out like a sore thumb.  With the erroneous characters included the predictive text shouldn't recognise the format of the tracking number, so you can enter the name of the courier manually in the second box, then all you need to do is delete the duff characters that don't belong in the tracking number.  In order to make it easier, don't use letters or numbers for the duff characters - use something like the minus sign, a full stop, or an asterisk.  That way it'll be obvious which ones are the dummy characters that you need to delete once you've manually entered the name of the courier.  Once you've deleted the dummy characters click on "Add" and the tracking number should upload as normal.  If you don't want to have to do it that way then the only other option would be to just type in the tracking number regardless and then manually type over whichever name the predictive text throws up so as to correct the name of the courier company before you submit the tracking details.

With regards to whether or not there is a function that you can use to deactivate the predictive text used on the courier part of the tracking details, as far as I'm aware there is no option on eBay that would allow a user to do this.  It would be good if such a feature did exist, but given the fact that it would be a useful improvement to the site I'm not expecting eBay to implement it at any point in the future.

Community Member

in reply to lbsbmonline

lbsbmonline wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to turn off the predictive courier when entering tracking? Tracking numbers we use for 2 couriers bring up the wrong courier automatically.

Just delete it & put in your own courier.

To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Community Newcomer

in reply to tony4cats

? That's the only obvious thing you can do.

If it doesn't work effectivelely it's best it's not there at all.

Community Member

in reply to lbsbmonline

I find it very useful for Hermes ones, and used to find it good for RM ones too.  I had my barcode scanner set to append a tab to it, so it appears automatically.

I do find that UPS ones appear as something else though, so I have to overtype those.  It doesn't upset me anything like as much as the bigger ebay faults though!