Community Newcomer
Accepted Solution
Am I obliged to combine postage on very low value items.

I listed two items of clothing which were won by someone who is now basically insisting I combine postage costs. They did not ask me about combining the costs whilst the listings were active for 10 days. I feel that the two items which come to £8.90 including postage and packing is good value, as I have politely explained to the buyer, plus I only have small parcel enevelopes to send individual items in rather than combining items. Am I being unreasonable? Surely they should have asked me about postage whilst the listing was active, rather than just assuming I would combine postage, which would have prevented this problem. Anyway they now want me to cancel the sale which is fine but will I be penalised by ebay for this? Your views would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kirsty

Accepted Solution
Community Member
Answered
in reply to lushkirsty

Hello Kirsty,

It is totally up to you as a seller to offer or not offer, a combined postage , it is not madatory to do so.  Yes,  they should have asked before bidding,  that is correct.

Message the buyer again that you need to post these separately because of the size of packaging involved,  and a combine packaging is not something that is offered on your listings.

Ask them if they wish,  you can send cancellation requests,  citing buyer requests to cancel,  that way there is no defect on your account

Other Answers: 3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to lushkirsty
While you do not have to combine postage, in many cases two items cost no more than one, so overcharging is not a good way to expect good fb. It is up to you but for the sake of a small amount of money you will lose 2 sales.

To cancel PROPERLY you must go to MORE ACTIONS and send the buyer TWO requests to cancel, once they accept you get your selling fee refunded. (At least that is the theory, I have heard it said that ebay does not always expect the buyer to agree, and just cancels.)

Community Member
Answered
in reply to lushkirsty

Yours items are pretty small, it would cost £2.95 to send two of them together.

Personally, I'd just combine postage and send the buyer a new invoice.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to lushkirsty

It isn't a question of whether £8.90 is good value. It's whether the p&p cost could be reduced by sending them together.

If so, I can't believe that you would rather cancel both sales than put yourself out just this little bit to provide customer service.

Is it perhaps that you had hoped to make a bit of extra profit from the two p&p charges?