Refund

Hi, is it possible to refund a refund, bought an item no problem both left possitive feedback, and then the seller refunded me in error. I just do not know how to send the money back to him. Thanks

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Refund

Sorted this refund saga, managed to refund through PayPal. This seller refunded myself and other buyers, and said they were mistakes? anyway sorted now. Thanks for all your help guys. Berwynone

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Refund

papso22
Experienced Mentor

You will need to do that outside of ebay, if you both have Paypal accounts, that's the easiest way, other than that, cheque or bank transfer.

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Just send the seller the amount via a cheque or bank transfer,  or if you have a PayPal account you cans end the a Friends and Family payment.  Whichever suits you both best.

If  PayPal is used,  email addresses need to be exchanged.  Make it very, very clear in your eBay messages,  as eBay do read these,  the reason for these exchanges.   Make it clear it's not to be used for an off eBay sale.

Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Thank you!

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Thanks for the replies, still having problems with this refund. Tried to refund through PayPal have the sellers email put that in and his profile came up, then they asked for the name of his bank in the dropdown, asked the seller for the name of his bank and he refused, not got a clue what to do if he will not co-operate with me.

Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Ask the seller to create an eBay listing for the same price and then buy it. The seller can mark it dispatched but never send anything to you. They will lose a % of the payment on eBay fees but they should be grateful you are willing to repay them at all, a lot of buyers would go quiet now. 

Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

After I posted this it occurred to me that eBay may have forced a refund here. If it is the Oral-B item, eBay appear to have removed the listing and the seller has no items for sale any more. Maybe they got their account suspended. 

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Well spotted on that, yes it is that item I also noticed there are no other listing, only because I asked him to list another and I would buy that, and that would refund his money. Now he is sending me sarcastic messages, It just dosn't feel quite right, because he will not send any details. Could it be a scam? i really don't know. Never had a problems like this in over 20yrs on Ebay. Thanks for the replies.

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Difficult to say what the scam would be, it depends how this all came about. If the seller just messaged you out of the blue on eBay messaging then I wouldn't worry and just stop replying to them as you have tried to refund and can't.

If you got any contact outside of eBay about it such as via email, I would just make sure it is genuine before clicking any links etc. 

The seller may just be salty if they got suspended by eBay and are just being sarcastic as they know they can't re-list any item and the account is gone anyway. They shouldn't be surprised if that's what has happened as they were probably drop shipping off a private account rather than being correctly registered as a business. 

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Hi, Thanks everyone for your help, will update if there is anything to update. as it stands he has gone very quiet since my last very polite message yesterday LOL. Thank you.

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Hi, Just received a message from this seller, giving me details of another account, the details were sent via a photo in the message. Not his account different name this must be against Ebay rules. This situation just feels wrong. its not I don't want to refund him, I just don't want to refund to a bank that has got nothing to do with the seller, I think I would be leaving myself wide open to whatever?

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Any thoughts on my last post?

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

I have loads of questions ha so didn't really want to commit beyond what I said as I could be making wrong assumptions about the seller. 

How are they messaging you? Via eBay? Did they reach out and say they refunded in error, or is this communication only happening because you contacted them about it?

Does the eBay order definitely show the order was refunded and funds are back with you?

Did eBay send you a message to your inbox about the refund? Does it state the reason the order was refunded?

Im guessing it is under a £5 order but as the listing disappeared I can't see the value. If the seller was polite and wasn't being evasive then I would 100% refund them outside eBay or through another eBay order if possible. If they were taking TP on messages then I may change my mind but it depends how they come across, at the end of the day they do have your contact details so maybe not worth unnecessary beef. You could always ring eBay in the morning and ask their advice, maybe they will tell you more if it isn't clear from the order how this refund has occurred.

Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Hi, The seller message through Ebay, said it was refunded by error. I did not contact them for a refund, the item I purchased is fine and left poss feedback. Did receive a message from Ebay refunded £22.89, no reason.  Seller will not give me his bank details for the dropdown on PayPal to refund him, so that seems strange, although he has given another persons bank details today, for a bank transfer. he is being evasive and sarcastic, in a couple of the messages. how do I contact Ebay for advice, they must be able to view these messages. thanks for the reply.

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

It has been a while since I rang eBay but the way I did it is I go to the help ? Icon on the eBay app and type in contact eBay. It will direct you to the chat bot. I type in customer representative or speak to eBay agent and it gives the option for a call back, eBay normally ring me within 1 minute. I normally wait until 9am to do it, hopefully it hasn't changed since the last time I had to get in touch with them.

I would just want to be satisfied from eBay that this seller is ok ie the account wasn't compromised, they weren't suspended etc before I send the money back. eBay won't want to get involved with the refund but maybe will tell you what their account status is. If the agent isn't helpful, ask for another call back and speak to someone else. 

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Can imagine a scenario where someone gets their account hacked, the hacker refunds all their customers and then messages with new account details for an off site return of the money... who knows at this point, hopefully eBay will be helpful and warn you if the account is now suspect. 

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

I wasn't going to refund that account, I think I would be leaving myself wide open. Just don't understand why he wont give his info yet he will give another persons details, Just feels wrong but I may be doing the seller an injustice. Thanks for the reply, let you know what happens when it does.

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Sorted this refund saga, managed to refund through PayPal. This seller refunded myself and other buyers, and said they were mistakes? anyway sorted now. Thanks for all your help guys. Berwynone

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

Hi, Refunded this seller with the details he sent me, through PayPal on Thursday at 11.35, I have the confirmation from PayPal and the money has been taken out of my account. Received a messaage from the seller today not received, with totally different details of the account. I have all the messages saved with the details he sent me twice. Is there any way I can block these messages, I am just sick of him? 

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

Refund

You can block them by adding them to your blocked buyers list. If you can't find it just go to eBay help section and type it in and it will show you how. 

Did you ever ring eBay and ask whether the seller had a suspended or a hacked account? 

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent