Photo ID

Hi I've been asked to provide photo ID an bank details after 12 yrs .I don't have photo ID or bank online I sent copy of birth certificate but they want black an white only ebay have now restrictions on my account ..any one else had this ...thanks 

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

Photo ID

You're going to need photo ID in future for voting so you might as well get a voter authority ID now:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate

But you will also need to register a bank account with ebay to continue using it.  

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

Hi janebubsconnelly2012, thanks for your post.

This is a normal verification process that all sellers have to go through at some stage. Normally, the accepted ID method is a passport, driving license, or any government issued ID national card. If you don't have any of these documents, you can upload UK birth certificate and proof of address instead of Photo ID. Please note that when uploading documents, you need to upload a clear picture in full (so, the information on it can be read, and no information is cut off the picture). Also, if you decide to upload the birth certificate with proof of address, please note that the proof of address can be any bill with your name on it, and it can't be more than 3 months old.

Alternatively, you can apply for any of the ID documents and upload it once you have it. Once you upload the information requested, and everything is confirmed, any restrictions placed due to the nature of this problem will be removed.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

The first sentence on the page for which you provided the link says...

"Use this service to apply for a ‘Voter Authority Certificate’. You can use it to vote in person in some elections and referendums in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales). You cannot use it as proof of identification for any other reason"

so would eBay also accept a VAC for an account ID when they specifically only mention a passport or a  driving license on their "registering as a seller page"?

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

If you don't provide the ID that eBay require, all your sales funds will be held until you do

This can be for an indefinite period, they won't release any funds until you prove you are not Money Laundering by providing photo ID. 

The ID/Money Laundering checks are a legal requirement from the UK government, not just an eBay rule

Until you prove your ID you won't be able to access any of the funds from your sales and your account will be locked.

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

Have EBay just started this ID process? I have traded for years and totally out of the blue they are witholding payments to my acct until I send ID . No warning - on an account that has been run perfectly 😡

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

@senlacsystems wrote:

Have EBay just started this ID process? I have traded for years and totally out of the blue they are witholding payments to my acct until I send ID . No warning - on an account that has been run perfectly 😡

This sounds like the anti-Money Laundering checks that eBay are legally required to do once a certain amount of money passes through your account

eBay have no choice, anti Money Laundering legislation makes it a legal requirement

The quicker you provide the ID, the faster your funds will be released

If you refuse, they will keep hold of your funds indefinitely. 

It's not personal, it is triggered by the amount of funds that have gone into your account, and is required by UK government. You can look it up, it is called "Know Your Customer" and all financial institutions are required to do these checks. 

Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

So they are not doing this to everyone? My account is pretty idle - does anyone know these (unpublicised) limits on trade before a seller has to suddenly produce ID?
Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

Hi 

It's just happened to me, do we still send items through the post if we haven't been paid, I understand it is a security thing but I'm selling things because I need the money, it says it can take up to 30 day's. Slightly mad 😡😡😡

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

"Prove you are not Money Laundering by providing photo ID. ". How does sending a photo prove the Ebayer is not a crminal? 🤔

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

Thank you for the update,I was not sure it wasn't a scam,so that's a relief.

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

There is no information how and for how long you will store the uploaded photo ID. Under GDPR this has to be specified. Please confirm when is the photo ID deleted as your stated purpose for using it is to verify identiy thus after that you cannot keep it any more. 

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

You need to address your concerns directly to Ebay.

This is a member to member forum.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

Hi yes I have the same problem and I simply don’t have photo I.D. They say they cannot forward my money. This is a new policy even though they insist it is not. Been a member for 12 years and never had this problem. Nothing I can do so will be cancelling my account with eBay. They are Con artists anyway. They will eventually go bust.

dave

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

They do it once a certain amount of funds has passed through your account 

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

It proves the ID of the person using the account is genuine. Then if money laundering is detected, they know who to prosecute. 

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

You can get photo ID for £15 from the Post Office 

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/pass-card 

Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

I had this same thing nearly 16 months ago and as I do not have a drivers licence or passport I had all sorts of problems communicating with ebay over this matter

The work round after you have issued a comlaint is as follows

A black and white picture of your birth certificate taken on digital picture (must include all 4 corners)

A picture of a utility bill that is within the last 3 months ( must include a 4 corners)

You will then need to keep hounding ebay customer support or they will just not notify you if the documents do not meet there exacting standards

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

Photo ID

14,000 items listed as a private seller lol !.

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent