Selling on Ebay via Amazon

Hi, I recently bought an item from what I thought was a genuine private seller who has basically ordered the item from Amazon on my behalf and had it posted directly to me (at a small profit to himself obviously!).  This is annoying for me personally as I have chosen not to use Amazon for various reasons but is it an infringement of Ebay policy?  Is it OK to sell something you don't have, I can't find a definite answer about this on the guidelines...  As a seperate issue, the same buyer is now hassling me about the (honest) feedback I have left.  Presumably this is also something I should be reporting him for?  Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

brewterbm

Amazon offer eBayers a fulfilment service.

Large volume sellers, who list on both sites, are more and more commonly using it.

What you're assuming has happened - probably hasn't.

A fulfilment service is where the seller sends their stock to an Amazon warehouse and then it's picked and dispatched by Amazon when it sells on either site.

It works out cheaper for high volume sellers to do that than employ people and pay for storage.

As part of Amazon's fulfilment the item is put in Amazon packaging.

Now, there are sellers who do what you're thinking your seller did, but your seller isn't one of them - it just wouldn't make economic sense for them to do that. The times it does make economic sense are when people abuse prime to get free postage then list on eBay at significantly higher prices than on eBay.

Please google eBay fulfilment by Amazon and read about it as it'll help reassure you about what is more likely given your seller's history.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any eBay seller using Amazon fulfilment - eBay even allow their seller dashboard to integrate for efficiency. 

It is against the rules to list an item on eBay then buy it from Amazon after it sells on here - but I honestly don't think that is what has happened in this case.

Given that, I think you should reconsider your feedback, that seller also sells on Amazon so it's clear what version is applicable here.

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

If your eBay seller has listed an item they don't have and have then ordered it from an Amazon seller to be sent to you that's not permitted. eBay are clamping down on dropshipping. 

It's also against the GDPR to pass your personal info onto a third party who you;'e not in transaction with, without your permission.

Was there any paperwork from the Amazon seller in your package?

@brewsterbm wrote:

what I thought was a genuine private seller

They are a registered business seller, what made you think they were a private seller?

They probably sell on amazon aswell as ebay and use amazon's fullfilment centre to complete sales.

Thay have broken no rules and can probably get the negative feedback removed.

Also did you not read their feedback before buying?  There are at least 2 other negative feedback comments mentioning amazon.

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

They had feedback of over 100,000, and you thought they were a private seller??

Apart from being annoyed, is there a problem with the item, or are you happy to keep it?

If you want to return it, as a business seller they're required to accept returns by law, but you would probably have to pay the return postage. Do NOT be talked into returning it to Amazon. Your contract was with the eBay seller, and it must be returned to them. Even if the seller doesn't like it!

If you want, you can use this link to report the seller for using Amazon (which is a retailer, not a wholesaler) to fulfil your order: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

On the subject of your feedback, all I would say is that feedback isn't just for leaving negs. If you're going to leave negative feedback when you're unhappy, please play fair and also also thank sellers for good service with positive feedback.

Ask a question