Item defeated but wasnt when posted

Sold a kids t-shirt that was in great condition. Buyer emailed me saying there was marks on it. Those marks where not there when the item was posted. What do I do?
View Entire Topic
red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

What do I do?

If a buyer claims it isn't as described eBay will require you to refund them in full. EBay never sees the item and takes the buyer's word against the seller's.

Assuming that it's still within eBay's 30 day time limit to claim you just have to accept the inevitable, and offer a refund on return. The best way to refund a buyer is to ask them to open a case under eBay's money back guarantee, through the resolution centre.

This won't count against your seller performance rating provided you click on the option to refund the buyer on return. If you dispute the case, the only difference it's likely to make is that eBay will additionally place a defect on your account.

EBay will give you the option to purchase and send send the buyer a prepaid return label if you want the item back. When it's returned you can process their refund through the case and will receive a credit for your final value fee and PayPal fee.

Don't try to refund them yourself without following this procedure. If you do, eBay may treat it as a seller-initiated cancellation, for which you would be penalised with a defect on your account and would forfeit any return of fees.

Ask a question