Wood Repair Advice and Suggestions Please.

Just starting a new project - full restoration of an early Bartlett in very poor condition.  One of the repairs I'm pondering over is the hole in the rear of the horse - the damage is actually over the three blocks where they all come together.  The top plate of the box is sloped upwards and it quite thin and on end grain - please refer to photos.  Perhaps a block could be added to the rear box block to support new wood on the top lid and side??

It is a lovely old horse and has early rosettes 2 round on the bridle and a square one on the chest with what appears to be red satin ribbon.  He also needs 2 front hooves and ear extensions and a few muscle blocks.  The stand has been quite infested at some stage with wood borer which we see little of in our area.

Would appreciate suggestions how to tackle this restoration and wood work to make the horse sound.

abbotts bartlett ns.jpgabbotts bartlett rear.jpg

abbotts bartlet rosettes.jpg

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, Stevensons Brothers Rocking Horse manufacturer of Bethersden Kent are world leaders in bespoke rocking horses. I lived in the village some years ago and they are very friendly. I am sure they would give you some advice and maybe some material to help in your restoration. I may well be that is is one of their horses but they would know by telling you to look for certain things and I believe a unique number somewhere. Best of luck.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Wow! That is quite a challenge. Good luck with it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Don't want to sound rude.... (but)

If you need to ask advice on an ebay forum are you really upto the job?

It would be a shame if any restoration you did actually devalued the item.

Just asking because I would hate for you to make a mess of what could be a nice item.

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

@mr-expresso wrote:

Don't want to sound rude.... (but)

If you need to ask advice on an ebay forum are you really upto the job?

It would be a shame if any restoration you did actually devalued the item.

Just asking because I would hate for you to make a mess of what could be a nice item.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

I would imagine you would have to take it all to bits and start again?

There are plenty of hints on google I expect, and books on restoration. Good luck with it anyway, it should come up a treat. Just dont rush at it, take your time and reap the benefits.

Photobucket

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

There used to be a rocking-horse restoration group here...it might be worth looking Woman Happy

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

My advice would be to make sure you have a pooper scooper at hand to scoop up the Rocking Horse Sh!t...

Then sell it on ebay .. I am told it is rare....Smiley Wink

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

oh very good!clapping smiley.gif

Photobucket

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent