Electric Hand Whisk

The electric hand whisk I had as a wedding present in 1982 lasted 31 years.

The one I replaced it with last summer (2013) has lasted not six months!

Just making a cake and one of the whisks broke, sending cake mix all over

the place.

Disgraceful isn't it?!  I don't suppose I'll be able to get replacement whiskers

for it either.  That was the only reason I had to replace the 31 year old one,

'cos I lost one of the whiskers.

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

Electric Hand Whisk

nothing is made to last these days Fishy....I buy the cheaper versions now as I know they won't last so no point in spending out loads is there?

mind you, my friend gave me her mothers Kenwood chef, I'd always wanted one...we put the cheesy mix stuff in, turned it on, great load of smoke and a bang.....end of story!!!!!! ah well, at least I had a go on one eh?

Photobucket

Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

Oh dear, that reminds me of a car we sold many years ago to one of our friends.  He wanted a

cheap first car and our cars are never good for much when we sell them but it was safe, cheap and

it went.  Until the day our friend bought it that is.  It had never failed to start all the time we'd had it

but as soon as he went to drive it away, it wouldn't start!

Eventually it did and a few days later our not-very-careful-driver friend crashed it into a hedge.

Our friend wasn't hurt luckily but we never sold him any more cars!

We did give away our third-hand fridge years ago to another friend, when we bought a fridge-freezer

and that carried on going and was about sixth-hand when it finally packed up.  I don't know how

much it cost originally but it couldn't have been a great deal and it was passed to someone else

so many times.  It used to do a little jig about in the kitchen so we had to wedge it into a small gap!

Our kitchen was such fun, what with that fridge jigging about and our first toaster which used to

shoot the toast out so high it often touched the ceiling!

As you say Captain, nothing seems built to last now.

Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

I shudder to think how long we've had our whisk and it still works.  Mind you, it doesn't get much use now for some reason.

Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

I'm going to search really hard for the lost whisker off the old whisk.

I did search pretty hard before and can only hope it didn't accidentally

fall in the bin.

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

I bought a whisk from argos 2 years ago and took out the extra 3 year insurance for 4.99 always worth it with small items I returned it last year and just got a new one and the insurance is still valid.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
No sig can't be bothered.
Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

Our whisk is probably that old too Fishy, maybe even a few years older .... I think we may even have a spare whisker blade Smiley Surprised ............ I wonder if its the same?
I'll dig it out tomorrow & check the make Smiley Happy

" I do love knitting patterns.”
-- Dumbledore, The Half-Blood Prince (2005)
Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

MOH got me a new food mixer late last year a Bosch, does the trick so far, I gave my 2nd hand one to our DIL as she did not have one it must have been well over 30yrs old... still working perfectly.

My hand mixer was not an expensive one my MIL gave us new, I use it for blending soup etc, maybe 6-8 yrs old still fine.

My Zanussi washing machine was at least  21yrs old plus, when it went out of the house to a charity who pass it on to someone who needs one, worked perfectly, should have kept it, as MOH brought his nice new white one about 1-2 yrs old.... lucky if it lasted a month.  Another new Zanussi was hastily purchased.

I am not so lucky with hoovers or microwaves.... they seem to give up the ghost on a regular basis.bored-smiley.gif

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

I seem to be quite lucky with electrical things.

I remember my M I L asking what I'd like for my birthday. I said a hairdryer because mine was old and would probably pack in soon.  That was about 15 or 20 years ago and I'm STILL using the old one!!

My built in electric oven and calor gas hob were still going strong and in perfect condition when we left them in the old house which was demolished.  They were getting on for 30 yrs old.

I can't really think of anything that didn't last.  Perhaps electric kettles but I think that's because of the hard water.  Woman Happy

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

When we got married in 1989 mother in law gave us her old fridge and freezer.

It was painted brown and we had no idea how long MIL had had them for.

Still going strong years later, when we moved and we gave them to a friend of ours.

Our friend still has them and they are still working fine.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

It is a real shame these days it is truly a 'throw away society', created by the manufacturers they either say it will cost about the same to repair as it would be to buy new, or your item is obsolete and therefore you have no option to buy new. 

I forgot to mention I had one fridgefreezer for about 16yrs and 2 house moves later it went out still working.

I have since had another 3 fridgefreezers in the space of 13-14 yrs, they sure don't make them to last.

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

I remember buying a moulinex hand mixer and little blender in the 80s for 14.99 (which was quite a lot then!) They only gave up the ghost a couple of years age.. was so sad to see them go!

now, i just have a sainsburys basics hand mixer.. does the job, and a moulinex mini processor.

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

I just checked mine ............ its a Philips Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

Replacement whiskers?  Easy.  It's amongst the tins of cat food in the supermarket!  Cat LOL

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

smilie head in hands.gif.........There's always one........

Smiley Very Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

Catknitter, mine is a phillips also, my old, 32 years old one, minus one whisker.

It's white with a brown top, blue switch and a blue stripe round it with "phillips" written

just above the blue band.  It's got a number 3 on the side, under the switch - don't know

what that signifies.

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

Yes .... I know it needs a good clean Smiley Embarassed I had to dig it out from the back of the cupboard Smiley Tongue

2014-02-17 16.01.08.jpg

The whisk bits are a fraction over 7" long ...... do they look the same?

2014-02-17 16.03.05.jpg

Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

Hi Catknitter, thanks for looking for me.

My whiskers are the same except that they have two little bits on the stem

for when you insert them into the whisk.  They are about seven and a half inches long.

My mixer, though about the same age, is a slightly different shape, it looks to

be not quite so deep from top to bottom.  Looks as if yours might be very slightly

older, as I say, mine was a wedding present in 1982.

I'm very grateful to you though for taking the trouble to have a look.

Fishy  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

I bought a Dualit hand held a couple of years ago & find it brilliant - it can even do dough with its dough-hook; recommend it

I also have a Breville stick whisk which is a replacement for an old one, & that is brilliant too.  It has a balloon whisk attachment as well as the blade (for soups etc)

I don't have a big mixer - just an ancient processor, & I suspect that its attachments are blunt as anything now.  The bowls are going opaque too - it's on a short fuse unless replacements are available!!  I bet as soon as I am motivated to source some, the motor will go phut .. ..

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

Electric Hand Whisk

It would have been an amazing coincidence if it had been the same Smiley Surprised

Yes mine will be a little older, I moved in with Hubby in early 1980 & it was already a kitchen fixture, it originally had a stand which is long gone but I still have the mixing bowl Smiley LOL  

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent