Remove very annoying 2 step verification process

How do I get rid of this supremely annoying thing? It's only been there a morning and I'm already sick of having to fetch my mobile phone to get the code. I am not surgically and unhealthily attached to my phone, it is not with me constantly and except for when it rings or buzzes with a text I never look at it. I don't want to have to find it to put in a random code  to access my ebay account when I've already put in a password which was working perfectly well on it's own. Why can't people leave things alone? Anyway, how do I turn it off or better still remove it? 

Message 1 of 209
See Most Recent
208 REPLIES 208

1 July: I uninstalled the mobile app which was requiring verification codes for every login yesterday. Today I have been able to log straight in to a/c using eBay on mobile browser. I reinstalled app to phone - and it's back to repeating verifications. Uninstalled app yet again!!

Message 41 of 209
See Most Recent

14 mouse clicks and 9 keystrokes to login to ebay now....yep not going to do this much longer...ebay please just add an opt out " i understand the risks" blah blah check box for this, if you can;t or won't your going to lose users sellers/buyers alike in droves, even my bank isn't such a BA to login to....

Message 42 of 209
See Most Recent

Done this twice but still getting 2 step when I log in again.   Nothing I do seems to remove this annoying feature which I do not remember adding to my sign in.  Been ebaying more than 20 years, Getting fed up with this.

Message 43 of 209
See Most Recent

Blooming Heck!!!!!!!!!!  just has to do the Ebay two step to post this.  We should find a dance and call it "The Ebay Two Step"  Could be a new line dance.

Message 44 of 209
See Most Recent

Tried this several times.  The Disable 2 does not appear.

Spoken to Ebay and they say it cannot be disabled.

I am now being asked to verify EVERY time I check my ebay, several times a day.

The only thing I can see is remove mobilenumber.  

Message 45 of 209
See Most Recent

I just can't be bothered with it. I won't be buying much on ebay any more - not when Amazon just keeps me logged in. It's a stupid idea and I feel sorry for the sellers on here.

Message 46 of 209
See Most Recent

I even had to get a code to leave this post! Ridiculous...

Message 47 of 209
See Most Recent

You can stay logged in but this means you can't delete ebays cookies. If you run Ccleaner for example, you can allow exceptions so it doesn't delete them. I've noticed this doesn't always work if you log in from a different location.  However, this also means you can't do a 'clean slate' wipe which is a security concern I believe, I would rather the 2-step thing was optional really.

Message 48 of 209
See Most Recent

Why even bother replying with that waste of a comment

Message 49 of 209
See Most Recent

thank you this has worked on mine

Message 50 of 209
See Most Recent

Ebay won't change things to suit the small minority that don't have their mobile handy.

I go many hours without using my phone, its always within reach. 

That may be fine in your case, but it's not very helpful to the (significant number of) people who live in a dead area for a mobile signal.  Whilst a landline can be used to recieve the code, that may well be inconvenient if the landline 'phone isn't in the room they are acessing ebay from (or if another member of the household is using it). 

It seems that the 'email' option is being denied to a great many of us, but that route is also very insecure unless the email is encrypted, and even then it would only be less insecure.

The way ebay have implemented this is a shambles, and going to do very little to improve any security aspects because they are using insecure routes to communicate codes (this coming on top of allowing people to sign in with social media accounts, which is a major security flaw in itself).

Message 51 of 209
See Most Recent

I agree, it's pathetic. I'm not a 12 year old with my mobile surgically attached. I use my phone as a phone, i.e to talk to people when necessary when I'm mobile. It's a blinkin pain having to click silly pictures and get hold of my phone to read a text message. I want this offered as an option. I've been an EBay user/seller for many years (well over 10) and never had a "problem" with security before. What with the high EBay fees and now this, I don't think I will bother visiting much here any more - I'll stick with Amazon.

Message 52 of 209
See Most Recent

Told on "chat" with Ebay that the "back end" would sort disabling 2 step for me in 48 hours and send me an email to confirm.  72 hours later, no email so went through process of disabling yet again only to find it enabled at next login.  Had another "chat" and was passed from one "expert" to another.  Gave up after 30 minutes of "chat.  Only writing this to vent my frustration.  Going to risk a phone chat with a person tomorrow>

Message 53 of 209
See Most Recent

Do you get charged for receiving these texts,?

there is a star by the text option and a footnote saying you may be charged for the text option of receiving the security code .

Message 54 of 209
See Most Recent

Hello Tubbycat2013,

I believe that the footnote only applies to a charge being made if you are
not in your "usual" country; i.e. abroad. I've yet to see any of my
Vodaphone credit being siphoned off anyway.

BB.

<>
Virus-free.
www.avast.com
<>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Message 55 of 209
See Most Recent

Thank you so much, it was driving me up the wall having to enter a text code every single time I sign in and your solution worked.

Message 56 of 209
See Most Recent

Thanks a lot.  Yes it does work.

orchardtow

Message 57 of 209
See Most Recent

Yes you can turn it off.  I just did it following the replies on here.

Message 58 of 209
See Most Recent

The solution by shoquerus worked for one session, then next day back again, I followed the procedure again and even though it was off I still had to recieve a text to log in. I got fed up and contacted live chat.

This was the response.

"we would like to inform you that eBay has launched a new security feature to strengthen the security of our members' account which is called Multi Factor Authentication in which you are verified via code all the time you login or try to make nay changes in your account."

I asked why there was an option to turn off 2 factor verification if it could not be turned off, I got this response:

"Your 2FA is turned off now and still you are being asked to verify due to Multi Factor Authentication feature."

I asked if Multi Factor Authentication could be turned off and got this response:

"As of now it doesn't have option to turn it off however, we are receiving many requests to add the feature to turn it off so you may see it soon as I am going to add your request as well."

So in summary, regardless of whether you turn off 2 factor verification, you will still have to recieve a text because of multi factor verification. If like me you want neither, I suggest contacting support so they add your name to the request for turning it off, it should be optional after all.

Message 59 of 209
See Most Recent

I found a crude hack to bypass it (which is probably a legal problem for eBay as a payment handler).

After being asked whether you want an SMS or Email code, just reload the same page and 'log in' again (presumably with saved passords, so it's just two clicks). Magically, now doesn't need your 2Step code!

Message 60 of 209
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: