Remove very annoying 2 step verification process

How do I get rid of this supremely annoying thing? It's only been there a morning and I'm already sick of having to fetch my mobile phone to get the code. I am not surgically and unhealthily attached to my phone, it is not with me constantly and except for when it rings or buzzes with a text I never look at it. I don't want to have to find it to put in a random code  to access my ebay account when I've already put in a password which was working perfectly well on it's own. Why can't people leave things alone? Anyway, how do I turn it off or better still remove it? 

Message 1 of 208
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I've managed to turn it off, HURRAAH!! Try this . . . .

Go into Account,  Sign in & security, 2 step verification, click edit.

Now , you have to ENABLE 2 step in order to DISABLE it. Go through the rigmarole of confirming mobile no & confirming email address, this will enable you to SET UP 2 step verification.

Come out of your Account, I just went to My ebay and then go back into Account, Sign in & security, 2 step verification. This time when you click edit, you will see the option to DISABLE 2 step verification, click on this & your home & dry.

Hope it works for you!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 208
See Most Recent
207 REPLIES 207

Anonymous
Not applicable

Loads of complaints on the tech boards. 

ebay saying will text a code, but no codes forthcoming, so unable to get onto eBay

Message 2 of 208
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still use Paypal for making payments but I also am getting a bit tired of this 2stage system as well as the traffic lights, busses and zebra chuffin crossings.

Message 3 of 208
See Most Recent

You can't turn it off or remove it, it is eBays attempt at following the laws and regulations they are obligated to now that they are closely involved with payments. Fine for banks as many don't sign on every day but a pain for everyday browsing or anything else here.

You have 2 options, stop selling or keep your phone handy.

Or if you open another account for buying only with a different email address they are currently not asking for it as buyers only are not signed up to damaged payments. You can then browse or buy at will.

Pardon me for breathing, which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it, Oh God, I'm so depressed
Message 4 of 208
See Most Recent

It asks me if I am using a trusted browser, in which case it doesn't need to text me any more, but I don't know how long that will last! 

Message 5 of 208
See Most Recent

@welshjoskin wrote:

How do I get rid of this supremely annoying thing? It's only been there a morning and I'm already sick of having to fetch my mobile phone to get the code. I am not surgically and unhealthily attached to my phone, it is not with me constantly and except for when it rings or buzzes with a text I never look at it. I don't want to have to find it to put in a random code  to access my ebay account when I've already put in a password which was working perfectly well on it's own. Why can't people leave things alone? Anyway, how do I turn it off or better still remove it? 

Ebay won't change things to suit the small minority that don't have their mobile handy.

I go many hours without using my phone, its always within reach. 

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 6 of 208
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today.

Try to login in to my buying/selling account.

Up comes the message.. We will send you a code by text. 

No text, so try again... Still no text.

So. 

Enter user name, then click on help logging in. 

Enter email address, and get a code via email. 

Enter code and then have to change password. 

Do that and up comes confirmation screen and a click on link to continue. 

So I click on the link and I'm back to sign in page. 

And you've guessed it.. We will send you a text verification number. 

And 5hrs later still no text. 

Message 7 of 208
See Most Recent

Why can't it be made optional then? I managed to disable it to sign into icloud, why can't it be disabled on ebay. As another poster says, I'm fed up of those 'click the buses/trains/boats'  and now this stupid 2 step process on top. You can't just sign in anymore without going through some rigmarole. It's ridiculous. 

Message 8 of 208
See Most Recent

@papso22 wrote:

It asks me if I am using a trusted browser, in which case it doesn't need to text me any more, but I don't know how long that will last! 

I get that using paypal, I rarely need a text. On the other hand it's every ruddy time with Lloyds unless I use the app and enter 3 random letters from a pass phrase.

As for trusted browsers, the amount of messages you get that someone has logged in via an unrecognised browser when it's the same one, I wouldn't hold your breath for it lasting long.

I have a different browser for each account which so far on those they have opted in has meant a code for each but I daren't log out if I don't want to go through the whole thing again.

Pardon me for breathing, which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it, Oh God, I'm so depressed
Message 9 of 208
See Most Recent

Hi,

I've managed to turn it off, HURRAAH!! Try this . . . .

Go into Account,  Sign in & security, 2 step verification, click edit.

Now , you have to ENABLE 2 step in order to DISABLE it. Go through the rigmarole of confirming mobile no & confirming email address, this will enable you to SET UP 2 step verification.

Come out of your Account, I just went to My ebay and then go back into Account, Sign in & security, 2 step verification. This time when you click edit, you will see the option to DISABLE 2 step verification, click on this & your home & dry.

Hope it works for you!

Message 10 of 208
See Most Recent

Don`t forget the stairs and mountains 😉 

Astronomy is looking up
Message 11 of 208
See Most Recent

Can't see a reason why it shouldn't work if you are not signed up for damaged payments, after that it is a legal obligation for eBay to make at least regular checks at the moment by text to a mobile or landline if they take it when signing in.

This id isn't even getting the warnings of check your phone as it is buying only and never signed up for two step or damaged payments.

Message 12 of 208
See Most Recent

👍👍👍THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  This has worked perfectly! Happy days no more bothersome texts!!! 🤩🤩🤩

Message 13 of 208
See Most Recent

I managed to turn it off at home but when signing in on a deifferent PC (work) it wanted 2 step verification again. Is turning off verificationa browser thing or account linked?

Message 14 of 208
See Most Recent

Hi,
My guess is that it’s device related, it is a security measure after all. My laptop is recognised but my phone isn’t & I still have to do 2 step verification for my phone 🤷‍♀️ Damned annoying!
Message 15 of 208
See Most Recent

thank you, youre a genius

Message 16 of 208
See Most Recent

I have just turned it off ?

It was nearly impossible for me to use ebay as a business with workers on the work computer and me sometimes on home computer or mobile. as they always send me the code work cant get a code.

Message 17 of 208
See Most Recent

Thanks to shoquercus for the steps above, I have managed to turn it off on my account this evening.

These pointless intrusions are a real negative to ebay, I've been a member for almost 10 years and spent well into 5 figures through the site in the last 12 months for work but I cannot access personal comms or comms devices at work (a secure site where the phone must stay in the car) so this 2FA would have been the end of us buying through Ebay.

As another poster said above, anything like this should be optional.. I've never had an issue with my eBay account being protected by just a password in a decade, no reason to change anything now.

Message 18 of 208
See Most Recent

it worked, thanx

Message 19 of 208
See Most Recent

Very annoying to have text sent have tried to use the email part but never get a message. So much easier and more user friendly the way it used to be with log in just using a password. Please make it optional if you want extra security. 

Message 20 of 208
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: