Community Member

Item description is different than the item for sale which I just noticed after I payed for the item

Hi

I want to buy an item that's listed as one thing, but the display picture is of another cheaper model.

I have asked the seller 3 times now for clarification. They are based in China so I guess there's a language barrier. I've tried to use extremely simple and clear language, and also send a few pictures with very very basic annotation ie circled the differences between the pictures and added '2' and '3' to explain further.

What protection do I have if I receive the cheaper model that I don't want?

The seller has specified "buyer pays for return postage" which would be prohibitively expensive for me.

Thank you

Mark

Community Member

Re: Item description is different than the item for sale which I just noticed after I payed for the

in reply to hu88y

Assume the item will be the cheaper model, if possible find another seller.  Regarding the money back guarantee, seller pays return cost for a 'not as described' item, in paractice you'd need to ask CS for help with that, it isn't straightforward as the seller would not be able to provide a return label.

****************************************************************************************

A consignment of geriatric shoe manufacturers.
Community Member

Re: Item description is different than the item for sale which I just noticed after I payed for the

[ Edited ]
in reply to hu88y

wrote:

Hi

T

Why does that even matter ? you already know the items description is not clear AND that the seller will not respond.

Why are you even thinking of buying from this seller, then hoping that "protection" will save you if needed...

I would just find another seller that did not raise red flags....

Community Member

in reply to hu88y

wrote:

Hi

I want to buy an item that's listed as one thing, but the display picture is of another cheaper model.

I have asked the seller 3 times now for clarification. They are based in China so I guess there's a language barrier. I've tried to use extremely simple and clear language, and also send a few pictures with very very basic annotation ie circled the differences between the pictures and added '2' and '3' to explain further.

The seller has specified "buyer pays for return postage" which would be prohibitively expensive for me.

Thank you

Mark

I think you would be protected, for in general if there is a conflict between text and pictures, you are entitled to the one that suits you best. Those unanswered messages, which you should mention, won't help him.  But invoking the MBG would be a big waste of time and trouble. Unless it is some unique item which you must have, which is rare from China, you would be better to look  for another seller.

It may  be that it is the best value around, which a sensible person would naturally go for when there are no worrying signs. But it should just increase your caution when there are worrying signs, and in this case there are two, the listing and the unanswered messages. A low price means nothing if you are just sending it on holiday to China and back.

Community Member

in reply to mr._standfast

Thank you all.

Checking the 1st message I sent which the seller did reply to,  he said:

"hello yes it's gt edition.thank you"

That's quite clear isn't it? (the picture is definitely NOT the GT Edition!)

Community Member

in reply to hu88y

1/ you have doubts about the information/ picture /description of an item , sold half a world away , in a country known to be the biggest producer of fake items in the world 

2/ you ask questions , of which you cannot get a clear definitive answer to - or pictures of the ACTUAL item sold 

3/ you "buy" the item ,taking up to 3 weeks to arrive , AND , when it does , its the (wrong) item pictured . or the item you wanted , but ,obviously a fake  and get fobbed off by the same people you couldnt get clear information off originally 

4/ You arrive back on here , in six weeks bemoaning Chinese sellers , fakes , an item you have to send back to China at god knows what price -  and then you ask us what to do , when we told you what to do first off................

Walk away , fast , do not look back - Obi wan says "these are not the items you are looking for" , 

I work for N.A.S.A
but
Its not rocket science
Community Member

in reply to hu88y

I still wouldn’t be confident. I would also be worried that it may be fake. Personally I wouldn’t buy anything electrical or mechanical from China.

If the price is nice and cheap then there’s a reason for that, and it’s not because they have access to genuine items at a bargain price.

If you buy the item from China then you have to pay VAT when it arrives in the country if the item costs £15 or more. On top of that is a courier handling charge for collecting the tax (£8 to £15). In addition you have to pay import duty on items £135 or over.

Now if the item is not as described do not expect the seller to fall over themselves to help you. They may duck and dive, offer partial refunds and generally try and run you out of time for an eBay dispute. If you ignore their pleadings and open a dispute you then have to wait for 8 days to escalate it to eBay. Assuming you win eBay will tell you to return the item to the seller and contact the seller to arrange the cost of return postage. Cue more hassle. The seller may promise to reimburse you (they won’t). What they cannot do is provide a postage paid returns label because they are in China and you are not. 

Now,your only option is to telephone eBay and try to explain the dead end that you have reached. Eventually you may actually get a refund and not be required to return the item. It will not be a quick or painless process.

If you choose to open a PayPal dispute then the buyer is always required to return the item and pay for the return postage. That could be pretty expensive for Tracked postage to China (it must be tracked). You then have the fun of trying to reclaim the VAT and duty paid. The handling charge would be non-refundable.

Also beware of any sellers based in China (as per their feedback page), but claiming the items are dispatched from the uk. The items may well still arrive from China. Even if they do come from within the uk the quality will be the same and completing a dispute will be only slightly easier.

Community Member

in reply to grimgors_mum

Damn I was feeling quite confident before you both commented again! Smiley Happy

I've had really good experiences with Chinese sellers. Never ever had a problem. They're always polite and always go the extra mile as far as customer services goes. I do make a point of always trying to be polite with them, I dont know if that makes a difference. I must've bought literally hundreds of odd items now, plus more frm sites like GearBest, AliExpress, DHGate and more.

I do take on all of your comments very seriously. Thank you so much.

Community Member

in reply to hu88y

There are some good Chinese sellers out there, but there are also some very bad ones.

It really depends on what you are buying and if you have been tempted to buy something because of the price compared to a uk seller.

Loads of well known branded items are made in China at bona fida factories and made to uk Standards. Unfortunately loads of the fake items are also made in China. They may bear the same safety marks and be really hard to distinguish from the genuine product, but they aren’t genuine and may be highly dangerous.

Equally certain genuine products which are made in China are not readily available to buy from the uk.

It’s so hard to offer advice without knowing what sort of item you are talking about,

Community Member

in reply to grimgors_mum

Chinese prices are always cheaper. That's why i choose them over UK sellers if I don't care about getting something quickly. I can usually wait, and lots of far Eastern sellers have European warehouses so most deliver quite quickly now.
The item is a thrustmaster steering wheel for a PS4. Not something I've seen sold from far Eastern sellers before.

Community Member

in reply to hu88y

Then I’d be cautious and do a bit more research if possible. Are you on any gaming forums where other people may have purchased this item. 

That sort of item is certainly among the type of things faked, and sold on eBay.

Just remember when you look at an eBay item that there may well be some reviews of the item. However these are based on the item product code and may well relate to the “same” item purchased from another seller.

Community Member

in reply to grimgors_mum

Thanks

I did do some googling research, but didn't come up with anything. Yes those reviews are pretty useless... I realised they were only for the model not the actual item being sold. The seller has 100% feedback rating over 12 months, but only 28 items sold. Nothing bought.

Community Member

in reply to hu88y

That’s not a lot of items sold. Chinese sellers never seem to use their accounts for buying.

Do they have a lot of items for sale? You can look and see if they have listings for multiple quantities of anything, including the item you are looking at. Then it will tell you next to the number of items available how many of that item they have sold. If there is no feedback relating to the number of items sold then it could mean they are very recent sales and not enough time has passed for feedback.

Accounts can get hacked and someone with apparently good feedback suddenly lists a whole load of items. Often high tech and often at a good price. So if you can see they have suddenly sold numerous items then that is not a particularly good sign.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to grimgors_mum

Hmm here's the history for this item:

£179.99 1 12-Feb-18 11:13:22 GMT    

private listing -- buyers' identities protected

£179.99 1 12-Feb-18 00:38:47 GMT --

£179.99 1 11-Feb-18 15:45:14 GMT --

£179.99 1 11-Feb-18 08:51:24 GMT --

£179.99 1 09-Feb-18 19:48:55 GMT --

And it keeps coming up as "none available"

All of the items he has for sale are only 1 left. I think he just adds them one at a time after they sell.

How do I contact eBay to investigate? I decided to buy but I've changed my mind.

Community Member

in reply to hu88y

Right. So he is showing as a UK private seller.

The item location showing on his listings vary from Rijan China, to Manchester China (interesting) and Manchester UK. He is also selling brand new items using stock photos. So at the least he is illegally trading as a private seller rather than as a business seller. He is clearly dropshipping if he is based in the uk but the items are coming from China. He therefore has no idea what will actually come in the post.

I don’t think it is a hacked account because the Spot GEN3 GPS seems to be an item he sold before he made all his listings private.

I wouldn’t buy from him just because he’s trading illegally. Not forgetting the extra bill you would be getting for VAT/Import duty. That’s £36 vat, plus handling plus Import duty.

Community Member

in reply to hu88y
All the big price items are listed roughly £100 cheaper than they should be. Seems like randomly picked items. They're all 1 only left and when it sells he adds another.

I'm going to get stung here. Can't I stop the sale before he marks it as dispatched? Don't eBay have a mechanism for that?
Community Member

in reply to hu88y
He's corrected the image of the steering wheel now too
Community Member

in reply to hu88y

You can try sending him a message, but don’t hold your breath. If he was correctly registered as a business seller then you would have had the right to cancel.

I trust you have seen the estimated delivery date. It’s currently showing as 13th March to 25th April. That means it is coming by boat in a large container. On eBay you cannot open an item not received dispute until 1 day after the latest estimated delivery date shown on your order details.

I hope it all turns out ok.

If you do have problems then please come back here and start another thread. We can advise you how to go about things to make sure you get your money back.

Community Member

in reply to hu88y
Thank you so much for all of your help. I sent him a message earlier. No message but he has been online and changed the description.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to hu88y

Well he ignored my immediate request to cancel.

Quantity: 1Estimated delivery: Tue. 13 Mar. - Wed. 25 Apr.Paid: £179.99 with PayPal

You sent a payment of £179.99 GBP to Always Quality
Thanks for using PayPal. To see all the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.