Highlighted
Community Newcomer
Accepted Solution

Am I being scammed?

I bought a "brand new, unlocked" samsung S8 on BIN. I paid immediately via paypal.

The seller contacts me with an apology stating the information was incorrect and actually the phone was network locked and issues refund immediately. He offers me the phone for a reduced price if I still wanted it. We negotiated; I let the transaction stand if he would unlock the network and he appeared to action this (uploading photos of emails confirming an unlocking request to said number)
I receive the mobile (minus the ejection pin that he forgets to place in the box-he says he will forward this on).
He also says that it can take upto 10days to unlock the network and this is evident in the confirmation email from the network.

However, one of his emails; 
"Sorry to be a pain again but because i am a new seller to ebay/paypal it is saying i might have to wait up to 21 days for payment.
could you send the payment via bank transfer or friends and family via paypal ? i understand the risk the holds but i assure you i will get the phone sent out to you today"

I politely tell him this is against ebay rules and there is no reason why the funds are not available.

I am feeling a tad naive - am I being scammed?

Community Member

Re: Am I being scammed?

in reply to lrhrvn
If you have a refund run a mile and buy from someone else, there is no buyer protection for bank transfer payments ect....
Community Newcomer

in reply to martinlufc88
no i paid via paypal
Community Member

in reply to lrhrvn

As he's a new seller his funds will be subject to a 21 day hold, which he will have been told about. This applies to all new sellers.

No way should you pay by bank transfer as you will have NO buyer protection. You have to pay via Paypal to be fully protected under the ebay MBG.

My gut feeling is you should walk away from this sale. Ask your seller to cancel  the transaction.

Community Member

in reply to lrhrvn

@lrhrvn wrote:

I bought a "brand new, unlocked" samsung S8 on BIN. I paid immediately via paypal.

The seller contacts me with an apology stating the information was incorrect and actually the phone was network locked and issues refund immediately. 

So if he has refunded you, you can walk away. Your seller will no doubt have given himself a defect on his account, which, as a new seller will impact on his account a great deal.

None of this is your concern. Walk away.

Community Newcomer

in reply to elephantsdonotdance

Ok, your advice is appreciated.

My next question is;

I have the phone and can return it. If he then claims its not in the condition he sent it to me how do I stand? Can he then claim 'damages/compensation' for loss of value or anything along those lines? It isnt btw but it is now a worry of mine.

Community Newcomer

No we negotiated on the unlocking and I re-paid by paypal.
Community Member

in reply to lrhrvn
im a bit confused, so do you have the phone? did you buy through ebay and pay through paypal the normal way? or did you pay through paypal friends and family, if friends and family there is No buyer protection, so no you cannot return it.
Community Newcomer

in reply to martinlufc88
I have the phone and paid by paypal after the initial refund
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to lrhrvn

@lrhrvn wrote:

Ok, your advice is appreciated.

My next question is;

I have the phone and can return it. If he then claims its not in the condition he sent it to me how do I stand? Can he then claim 'damages/compensation' for loss of value or anything along those lines? It isnt btw but it is now a worry of mine.

If you have the phone and you paid by Paypal then you have 30 days to return it if it is ''Not as Described''.

If your only concern is that the phone does not get unblocked then do not let it go beyond 30 days after the last estimated delivery date before you open a case.

The MBG will get your money back so read up on it if you are not familiar. (there is a link  on every listing)

The 21 day hold is something they should know about as a new or ad hoc seller.

Community Newcomer

in reply to daggorx
THANK YOU! Smiley Happy
Community Member

in reply to lrhrvn

@lrhrvn wrote:

The seller contacts me with an apology stating the information was incorrect and actually the phone was network locked and issues refund immediately. He offers me the phone for a reduced price if I still wanted it. We negotiated; I let the transaction stand if he would unlock the network and he appeared to action this (uploading photos of emails confirming an unlocking request to said number)
I receive the mobile (minus the ejection pin that he forgets to place in the box-he says he will forward this on).
He also says that it can take upto 10days to unlock the network and this is evident in the confirmation email from the network.

However, one of his emails; 
"Sorry to be a pain again but because i am a new seller to ebay/paypal it is saying i might have to wait up to 21 days for payment.
could you send the payment via bank transfer or friends and family via paypal ? i understand the risk the holds but i assure you i will get the phone sent out to you today"

I politely tell him this is against ebay rules and there is no reason why the funds are not available.

I am feeling a tad naive - am I being scammed?

Unless he simply sent you a sumf money, unlinked to the case, the transaction is over. If you buy a different phne in those circumstances, it is an off-eBay transactionfor which you don't have eBay protection.  You would still have Paypal protection if yur payment was by Paypal and "for goods", but not if (and I do not want to insult your intelligence) if it was a gift or "friends and family" payment. You  are not related, and I doubt if  he is  your friend.

He is indeed a pain.No matter whether it is an eBay transaction or not, he isn't entitled to delay  shipment because of the Paypal hold. If the change requested was to some totally safe payment method, such as cash for an item easily checked and verified (which a network linked smart phone is not), you  would have to make sure your currently outstanding Paypal payment is safely received. But bank transfer is totally unsafe.

Mobile phones are a very high risk category on eBay. I mean very very.  I wouldn;t buy one except from a long established seller whose feedback checks out - and I mean checks out in every  way. Score, comments, removal of comments, paranoid replies, feedb ack for buying rather than selling, feedback good on cheap items but bad on occasional expensive ones, negs constant or on a downward slope, A bit of trouible? How much an hour does your usual employmen tbring you. This could be more.

You might be well out of this one if you  can.There are any number of phones like this on eBay. Was his price particularly low? That is not good when other signs for suspicion show up. It is bad.

Community Member

in reply to lrhrvn

I read it that the OP paid for the phone via Paypal, then the seller told him about all the changes to the original description and in doing so, refunded the OP.

The seller and the OP then came to a mutual agreement to buy the phone again, and somehow the OP has paid for the phone again via Paypal and has now received the phone.

If this is the case how did you pay for the phone the second time, OP? We know you paid via Paypal but did you use "Friends and Family" or "Payment for Goods and Services"? or "Gift" ?

Community Member

in reply to lrhrvn

on top of the advise given, i have to say that buyers could avoid all this, by going into town a buying from a shop, because then, your face to face with someone to deal with it if anything happens. the biggest issue people have on this site, with things like mobile phones, games consol`, t.v` etc, is enforcing any warrenty issues down the line, because their almost impossible to enforce!

Community Newcomer

in reply to lrhrvn
t was via paypal-i wouldn't entertain other means of payment. My concern was as elephantsdontdance has deciphered.

The seller has now sent me the unlocking codes and phone is now open to any network.
Community Member

in reply to lrhrvn

Good news! So you now don't need to do anything about the transaction if you don't want to. Then the seller only needs to wait for his money to be released. Tell him to load the tracking or to ring Paypal to confirm that the item has been delivered. That way, the payment gets released sooner than scheduled.

Community Member

in reply to onetwothree.123
We still have not established how the OP paid for the phone. We know he paid Paypal but OP hasn't said which option they used.
OP may not have any PP protection.
Community Member

I think they must have used for goods or there wouldn't be a hold. The seller probably thought the hold was an eBay thing only.

Community Newcomer

[ Edited ]
in reply to lrhrvn

I paid the second transaction via the eBay basket and PayPal, not through the friends and family section, bank transfer or any other. 

Community Member

in reply to lrhrvn

Did the seller relist the phone for you then?  That's the only way I can think of that means you can then pay through the basket.