Highlighted
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Is anybody happy with the Global Shipping Program?

As title. I haven't signed up but wondered if it might be worth doing as I mainly sell to UK. Can you choose which items you sell on it and which you wouldn't?

Thanks

Steve

Community Member

Re: Is anybody happy with the Global Shipping Program?

in reply to colerainemodelshopthemodelshop

There are divided opinions on this subject but broadly speaking, there are buyers out there who are prepared to pay a premium to get their hands on items that might not otherwise be available to them and there are buyers who will refuse to have anything to do with the program on the grounds of cost.  There are sellers who are happy to be shipping only to the UK hub and happy knowing that once there, the responsibility for loss or damage in international transit rests with Pitney Bowes and there are sellers who have had problems and vowed never to touch the program again.

Not all items are eligible - check the dimensions and weight limits as well as the eligible categories.

Not all eligible items can be shipped to all eligible countries due to local import regulations.

If you enrol into the program and your items are eligible then they will automatically be included.

Combined postage is not an option and sellers are blocked from invoicing.

eBay protect sellers from bad feedback and ratings for the costs and extended delivery times associated with the program.

I suggest that you use the 'help & contact' tab and put "global shipping program" into the topic bar and review the various help sheets before making a decision.

I bid, I win, I pay - you deliver
Community Member

in reply to norseway53

!Combined postage is not an option"

The buyer can obtain combined postage by placing the items in the basket before proceeding to checkout.

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/private/global-shipping-programme

At this time, seller-specified combined postage discounts aren’t supported by the Global Shipping Programme. However, a combined postage discount for the international leg of the delivery will automatically be applied during checkout when the buyer places all items in their shopping basket prior to making a purchase.

Community Member

I'm in it, don't get the volume of overseas mail as I used to. But i like the way they handle buyers who say they have NOT RECEIVED when tracking goes to the door and is signed for. Also you get good feedback, if they complain you get their feedback rescinded.

Community Member

in reply to wyntersemporium

I live in Thailand so if I buy on ebay it is always a international order

As a buyer I can say that without question I would never use the GSP, It is a total rip off with ebay charging more than double the postage costs and also adding customs charges at checkout

Community Member

in reply to music_tees_online

wrote:

I live in Thailand so if I buy on ebay it is always a international order

As a buyer I can say that without question I would never use the GSP, It is a total rip off with ebay charging more than double the postage costs and also adding customs charges at checkout

Just to add a while ago I was looking at buyting 5 T Shirts from the same seller who used the GSP,  the postage was 20.00 each, I was expecting a postage discount from the GSP but there wasn't one so 5 T Shirts would have cost me 100.00 postage,  RM Iternational Signed For would have been around 25.00 for the 5 Tees in the same package

Needless to say I didn't buy so the seller lost out on a decent sale amount as the Tees were 60.00 each

Community Member

in reply to norseway53

wrote:

Combined postage is not an option and sellers are blocked from invoicing.

A recent example: six books sent to the USA combined shipping using GSP - cost to buyer £20.29.

If I had sent these individually by International Tracked and signed, the total cost would have been £78.23.

As pipmr says, the buyer needs to understand how to use the basket to achieve the full benefits of combined shipping - especially when many experienced sellers still believe this cannot be done.

Community Member

in reply to lots-of-dots-and-words

Just looked at a pair of Trainers,  the seller uses GSP, over 26.00 postage to me here in Thailand with a last expected delivery date of Feb 28

International signed for would be under half that cost and would arrive to me in around 10 days

I'm struggling to see the benefit as a buyer of using the GSP

As a seller I certainly wouldn't use it, it kills sales

Community Member

wrote:

When GSP is used appropriately a buyer can save significantly on postage costs - as I demonstrated in post number 7.

I check all of my listings and only offer GSP when is is cheaper for the buyer - if it is cheaper for me to send direct then, of course, I send direct.

I remember somebody recently on these boards moaning about "rip-off GSP" - he was buying several postcards and paying spearate GSP costs on each card. Both the seller and the buyer were at fault in that case.

The same rule applies for buyer and sellers - if GSP is more expensive than sending direct DON'T USE IT.

When GSP is used correctly it can save the buyer a fortune and boost sales for the seller.

Community Member

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I'll bother. Ta
Community Member

wrote:

wrote:

When GSP is used appropriately a buyer can save significantly on postage costs - as I demonstrated in post number 7.

I check all of my listings and only offer GSP when is is cheaper for the buyer - if it is cheaper for me to send direct then, of course, I send direct.

I remember somebody recently on these boards moaning about "rip-off GSP" - he was buying several postcards and paying spearate GSP costs on each card. Both the seller and the buyer were at fault in that case.

The same rule applies for buyer and sellers - if GSP is more expensive than sending direct DON'T USE IT.

When GSP is used correctly it can save the buyer a fortune and boost sales for the seller.

I;m sorry but I look at a lot of listings that use the GSP and I have yet to see any that would be cheaper to use the GSP than International signed for, even multiple purchases

The GSP is charging double the costs in most instances and more worringly their charges are not even consistent I have seen charges from 20 00, 26.00 and 29.00 to send a pair of trainers,  as they roughly are all the same weight why such a vast difference in postage price?

I'm not sure how charging the buyer double the actual postage cost is beneficial to either the buyer or the seller?

Anyway you have your view but it's not and never will be beneificial to myself or my buyers

Community Member

wrote:

I;m sorry but I look at a lot of listings that use the GSP and I have yet to see any that would be cheaper to use the GSP than International signed for, even multiple purchases

The GSP is charging double the costs in most instances and more worringly their charges are not even consistent I have seen charges from 20 00, 26.00 and 29.00 to send a pair of trainers,  as they roughly are all the same weight why such a vast difference in postage price?

I'm not sure how charging the buyer double the actual postage cost is beneficial to either the buyer or the seller?

Anyway you have your view but it's not and never will be beneificial to myself or my buyers

If a seller does not know how to use GSP effectively it is very likely that the GSP cost will be higher than sending direct. Many sellers are not aware that if they don't fill the weight and dimensions field in the advanced listing form, the GSP price will be much higher than it shoulkd be.

A seller should check the listing before it goes live to ensure which is the cheaper option - if GSP is more expensive then it should not be used.

I do not sell trainers but if you check my listings, every single one has been checked and GSP is only offered when it is cheaper than International Tracked and Signed.

Sadly GSP has gained a reputation for being a "rip-off" because so many sellers (and buyers) don't know how to use it properly.

When GSP is used correctly it saves the buyer money and boosts sales for the seller.

Community Member

wrote:

wrote:

If a seller does not know how to use GSP effectively it is very likely that the GSP cost will be higher than sending direct. Many sellers are not aware that if they don't fill the weight and dimensions field in the advanced listing form, the GSP price will be much higher than it shoulkd be.

A seller should check the listing before it goes live to ensure which is the cheaper option - if GSP is more expensive then it should not be used.

I do not sell trainers but if you check my listings, every single one has been checked and GSP is only offered when it is cheaper than International Tracked and Signed.

Sadly GSP has gained a reputation for being a "rip-off" because so many sellers (and buyers) don't know how to use it properly.

When GSP is used correctly it saves the buyer money and boosts sales for the seller.

After checking the GSP postage prices for some of your items I can tell you that I certainly wouldn't pay that

Many sellers are not aware that if they don't fill the weight and dimensions field in the advanced listing form, the GSP price will be much higher than it shoulkd be.

Well that's easily solved,  ebay should not let the seller submit the listing until they are filled inif they are using the GSP

If the sellers are not filling these attributes in how on earth are ebay calculating the postage costs? It seems to me that they are guessing most of them, as shown by my examples above of different postage prices of the same items

Customs charges,  just looked at a listing that is charging 23.00 customs charges for a 30.00 item, and also 26.74 postage,  a complete rip off

Meanwhile one of your 100.00 items is showing a 11.16 customs charges

How on earth can the GSP is charging customs charges of 23.00 for a 30.00 item and 11.16 for a 100.00 item?

I can tell you now that if I received both of these items via normal mail with the customs slip filled in with the correct amount I would be charged more for your item than the cheaper item,  it is basic maths, ebay obviously feel differently 

Community Member

After checking the GSP postage prices for some of your items I can tell you that I certainly wouldn't pay that

If I have a GSP price on a book, I will have already checked that it is cheaper than if I sent it direct by International Tracked and Signed. It sounds like you think that all postal charges are excessive.

How on earth are ebay calculating the postage costs? Other posters on these boards have said that these are estimated from nominal figure for other items in the same category - but I agree, these are going to be higher than they should be.

How on earth can the GSP is charging customs charges of 23.00 for a 30.00 item and 11.16 for a 100.00 item? Different categories of goods attract different duty rates - it is not calculated just on the selling price. Some countries try to discourage the importation of particular goods by charging high duty rates. eBay do not profit from customs duty, they collect it for HMRC. A buyer benefits from knowing the import duty before purchase - I have seen many posts on these boards from buyers complaing that they have received huge demands for import duty which they were not expecting or warned about. With GSP, this situation won't arise.

Community Member

[ Edited ]

wrote:

If I have a GSP price on a book, I will have already checked that it is cheaper than if I sent it direct by International Tracked and Signed. It sounds like you think that all postal charges are excessive.

How on earth are ebay calculating the postage costs? Other posters on these boards have said that these are estimated from nominal figure for other items in the same category - but I agree, these are going to be higher than they should be.

How on earth can the GSP is charging customs charges of 23.00 for a 30.00 item and 11.16 for a 100.00 item? Different categories of goods attract diffeHow rent duty rates - it is not calculated just on the selling price. Some countries try to discourage the importationHow of particular goods by charging high duty rates. eBay do not profit from customs duty, they collect it for HMRC. A buyer benefits from knowing the import duty before purchase - I have seen many posts on these boards from buyers complaing that they have received huge demands for import duty which they were not expecting or warned about. With GSP, this situation won't arise.

How on earth can the GSP is charging customs charges of 23.00 for a 30.00 item and 11.16 for a 100.00 item? Different categories of goods attract diffeHow rent duty rates - it is not calculated just on the selling price. Some countries try to discourage the importationHow of particular goods by charging high duty rates. eBay do not profit from customs duty, they collect it for HMRC. A buyer benefits from knowing the import duty before purchase - I have seen many posts on these boards from buyers complaing that they have received huge demands for import duty which they were not expecting or warned about. With GSP, this situation won't arise.

I can tell you now that the vast majority of country's don't care what is inside the package, most are not even opened before they issue customs charges, customs simply don't have the time to open every single package, they go on the declared value

I have seen many posts on these boards from buyers complaing that they have received huge demands for import duty which they were not expecting or warned about. With GSP, this situation won't arise.

Buyers are advised that there may be additional charges before they buy 

I have had high value items, mainly clothing delivered to me here with no charges  no way am I going to pay ebay's made up charges,  I will take my chances

Good luck if it works for you,  you do seem to be in a minority of sellers who think it does,  I sell from Thailand so each and every one of my orders is a international order,  if I used the GSP I would be out of business with days

FYI I have been sending worldwide from Thailand everyday for the last 12 years, in that time I have sent arounf 100,000 packages, in that time not one of my buyers has received customs charges not one yet ebay charge them on every GSP order?

If it is used correctly or not It's a rip off for the vast majority of buyers and nothing you say will change my mind on that,  do you really think that ebay are using the GSP out of the goodness of their heart? No they use it to make money, the money they are making comes from buyers paying more than they should for postage

Community Member

My last word on this to show what a scam the GSP is

4 months ago I bought a pair of trainers from a UK seller, the cost was 75.00, the seller put the full amount of 75.00 on the customs slip

I was charged 1030 Baht import duty by Thai Customs which works out to 23.70

The pair of trainers I have just looked at on ebay are 29.50 and ebay are telling me I must pay 23.00 import duty

Basic maths tells you they are overcharging on the customs duties as I was charged the same amount on something that cost 45.00 more and is the same item, Trainers

Community Member

I'm with Music Tees, I would not touch it with a barge pole! 

Community Member

If you want Customs & Excise to get the most amount possible then you would use a third party to complete the paperwork in a by-the-book way which makes certain duty is collected.

If you want Postage costs to be the most amount possible you would use a third party known for utilising the highest cost tracking services available and with a profit motive for themselves.

If you want to be lowest in a sorted by price search then you will compete with the Chinese, domestic sellers and non GSP sellers with similar goods.