How to request missing parts for a large product, that take a long time to deliver?
Summary: beermattuk iniciou uma discussão sobre como solicitar peças faltantes para um produto de grande porte, que demoram para ser entregues. Várias respostas foram fornecidas por **peaseblossom**, red_magpie, e outros participantes, mas detalhes específicos sobre as sugestões ou soluções oferecidas não estão presentes na discussão registrada.
I ordered a large heavy product off ebay, all is good except one small bracket which is defective.
Obviously neither me or the seller want to return this massive expensive item just for the sake of 1 small cheap bracket. It's quite unique tho - not something i can just buy off the shelf at a hardware store. I contacted the seller, and they agreed to send me a replacement bracket.
Problem is the replacement comes from China, and I need to allow 1 4 days for delivery.... which takes me outside my 30 day guarantee. So what do i do if the part never arrives?
I tried opening a case but my only option is a "Return", which I don't want to do, i just want open a case to freeze my 30 day guarantee to allow the seller the extra time to send the missing part.
beermattuk
OP5 months agoThanks again for your help everyone.
The replacement part has arrived now 🙂
The seller is quite insistent on me not cancelling the case for some reason, instead just letting it age out. Eg "And remember don't close the return case by yourself, it will be close by eBay, just ignore it. Don't close it by yourself."
I don't understand what difference it'd make, but i suppose there's no harm in leaving it to age out so i'll just do that.
It got the job done in the end, but if anyone from ebay follows these threads - the process is really unintuitive and could do with rewording/restructuring for when people have this issue, which i imagine is not uncommon.
papso22
Mentor5 months agoPerhaps they are worried you will escalate it by mistake.
beermattuk
OP6 months agoThanks again. I'm still a bit uneasy with the way it's all worded, and really think ebay should improve this process, but it seems to be doing the trick.... i think.
It's still asking me to physically return it, but if i've understood you all correctly, i just leave it sitting like that for now, and i notice there is a "cancel return" button in the bottom corner so i'm guessing i can just press that when the replacement part arrives.
jckl1957
·6 months agoYou can cancel it at any time.
So, if the replacement part arrives and you are happy with it, close the case.
However, it does say the seller has sent you a label and you have to return it by 27th April.
So, if you have no part and no label by 26th you will have to decide whether to wait for the part or to ask Ebay to step in and push the seller to provide a label.
Otherwise, the case will close in favour of the seller and you will have an item which doesn't work, no replacement part and you won't be able to open another case or reopen this one.
beermattuk
OP6 months agoStill no good answers. I can't believe ebay doesn't have a solution for this, i'm sure i'm not the only person this has happened to.
Nobody should have to return a large expensive item for the sake of one small inexpensive part that takes a while to deliver when the seller is happy to oblige.
jckl1957
·6 months agoThe suggestion is not that you return it but that you start a return case.
Then, if the part you are waiting for does not turn up, you won't be outside the period allowed by the Money Back Guarantee.
Hopefully, the replacement part is already on its way.
So, if you open a return and the part arrives, neither you nor the seller need to do anything further. You can close the case or it will time out. Tell the seller this is what you are doing.
However, if the part does not arrive, you can go back to the case and ask Ebay to step in. Once the case in open, you have 21 days to ask for Ebay's help.
If you don't open a return case, and the part doesn't arrive, then Ebay will not help.
beermattuk
OP6 months agoIt makes sense when you say it like that, but when i try to go through the process on ebay's website, everything sounds wrong. Sounds very final like i'm actually opening a one-way request for a refund, telling me about postage labels and what card the refund will be credited to etc, which isn't what i'm after and doesn't feel right.
Is this what you mean (screenshot), am I in the right place?
papso22
Mentor6 months agoIt's right.
You just don't print a label or escalate unless you have to. You are in control.
Assuming the replacement part arrives and is OK, you can close the case.
jckl1957
·6 months agoYes.
You will be opening a case whcich you can close at anytime.
It is a safety net for you.
john1297576
Mentor6 months agoAs jackl@957 says, opening a case is a precaution, and effectively only to be used if let down by seller. I am afraid long postal times waiting for replacement parts, is frequently used to get buyer out of time for ebay to get involved.
Ebay does have a very good money back guarantee, but cannot create variations or exceptions to cater for all possible situations. Once enforced it is all or nothing.
red_magpie
Mentor6 months agoTo get any help from eBay you must open an item not as described case withinn 30 days from the date of delivery.
Although the default is to return for a full refund, you can if you wish and if the seller agrees negotiate a partial refund. However, there is no provision to freeze the guarantee.
If you miss eBay's time limit but the missing part never arrives then depending upon how you paid you might be able to issue a credit or debit card chargeback, which would have a longer time limit of about 120 days. I think you would probably have to claim for a full refund, or none. I don't know whether the item would have to be returned or who would pay for this.
Frankly, unless this is an irreplaceable, one-off item you might to better to use eBay's MBG to get a full refund and return, then order a replacement. This assumes that the return would be within the UK. Ask again if the return has to be to China, this is too complicated to explain unless needed. (The short answer is that in theory the seller should still pay, but this is uncertain.)
**peaseblossom**
Mentor6 months agoIf you start a return before the 30 day deadline you have more time to escalate it to ebay, if that becomes necessary.