Rupert Bear - why is everything so expensive?

Canada is my home, but I had an English mother. As a child in the 1950s and 60s, I had several Rupert Bear books (no idea which ones), and when I acquired a teddy bear (one of those made from stratchy fabric), I named him Rupert.

Alas, all traces of Rupert (the bear and the books) are gone from my life now, though I remember him fondly. I thought I might try to buy an old Rupert book on the internet someday.

Yikes, I can't believe how much those old books go for. Why is that? I don't want to buy a collector's item... I would just like a momento of my childhood.

Can anyone enlighten me?

best wishes from Canada

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Are these any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Vintage-RUPERT-THE-BEAR-Board-Books-paperback-story-book-/290995368965?p...

Wherever i wander i follow our team,
the famous Sunderland, a love supreme.
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Why yes, those books would do just fine! I'll have to write and ask if the seller would post them to Canada.

I don't think Rupert is that well known in Canada and so I realize I'll likely have to buy a book from Britain.. the postage costs will hurt! My son, knowing I had a bear named Rupert, told me that he knew a Brit who had also had a bear named Rupert, and asked me about this seemingly odd coincidence... I guess I never introduced him to my favourite bear. Pity.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Good luck.Man Indifferent

Wherever i wander i follow our team,
the famous Sunderland, a love supreme.
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Why not get a CD or download Rupert the Bear Film..

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

my teddy was called Rupert too! I too had the books to read, and I know the annuals are very expensive.

My sister lives in Canada and says that people often stop her and ask what bear pin is that in her coat! I sent her a Rupert the bear pin which was sold for a charity.

Do you remember Noddy and Big Ears by any chance?

Photobucket

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

The Rupert the Bear annuals were always collectable, high quality Colour printing and unbelievable graphics, way above the standard needed just for a Kids book. 

Good index for Rupert books including annuals

http://www.rupertannuals.com/informationsource/rupert/rupertcontents1970-79.php#rupert1970

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Captainbovine, I do not remember any of the characters in the Rupert stories... I guess it was just too long ago... all I remember is that I loved the books.

And yes, Al**bear, it looks like it is the annuals that fetch the big bucks. I think I probably had at least one annual, because I vaguely recall the term "annual". I think that I'll just try to buy one of the non-annuals.. they seem to go for a reasonable amount of money.

Sorry, tommy.irene, but Cds and downloaded movies just would not cut it... such things were not part of my childhood!

Anyway, thanks to all who took the time to reply, and to all those who share my love of this little bear.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Plenty cheap annuals on UK eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/rupert-annuals

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

I am probably totally wrong, but do I remember that Paul McCartney now owns Rupert the Bear?  I have a vague memory of thinking that his mum must have read it to him as a child so when it came available he bought it.  Am I having a serious senior moment here???

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG6sDR99W1M

Photobucket

your on the right track

paul and rupert

Petal
Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

I loved getting the Rupert Bear annuals for Xmas... in the '50's. Loved his yellow check trousers and red jumper! Smiley LOL

I had the full collection of Beatrix Potter books my parents had given me between '53 -58 but sadly they were ruined in a flood two years ago. Woman Sad 

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent