Big softy or what?

A few years ago we rented a place down at Weymouth and watched the trawlers pull alongside with ther catches.  One thing that has always been close to my heart are crabs and lobsters.  The one thing I've always wanted to do is to buy a live, undamaged crab, take a few photographs of him and then that night slip him back into deep water well away from all the crab creels and lobster pots, there to live out his days in total FREEDOM.  Obviously he'd have to fight for his survival - crabs are very territorial and will viciously see off any other crab trying to get into the same creel, but at least he would be given a sporting chance to extend his life by another couple of years.  I was in the sout of France once where a seafood restaurant had these lobsters in an aquarium, and they were so beautiful, deep blue in colour,  they only turn red when you cook them, that I had to leave.  I was so upset, because I knew where they'd end up.  Big man as I was, as I looked into their eyes, mine clouded over.  Yes, I cried.  Go on, laugh at me - I don't care.

Message 1 of 38
See Most Recent
37 REPLIES 37

Big softy or what?

Ah! That's so sweet!

**********Sam**********
Message 2 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

Lobsters and Crabs are Fascinating Creatures!!!. I find it amazing theres a whole seperate life going on in the big Oceans. All the animals getting together,,mating having friendships,going aroundin shoals. Bit like our lives but just DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!. Awwww.

blue beach.jpg

Message 3 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

It's not all lovie dovie out there of course, but man is the only creature that will deliberately kill for PLEASURE.  A lion will kill to eat, but once it has killed, local animals are no longer afraid of ot, for they know it will not kill again until it needs to.

Message 4 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

@5129frederick wrote:

It's not all lovie dovie out there of course, but man is the only creature that will deliberately kill for PLEASURE.  A lion will kill to eat, but once it has killed, local animals are no longer afraid of ot, for they know it will not kill again until it needs to.

Really!

Have you never seen a cat play with a mouse then just kill it when bored and go off to hunt another?

http://www.cracked.com/article_16762_the-6-biggest-**bleep**s-in-animal-kingdom_p2.html

Message 5 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

Yes, of course!  I was momentarily forgetting all those puddytats! Smiley LOL  Good point Creeky.  "I hate those mices to pieces"  Jinx.  Although they usually come unstuck, once in a blue moon they get the better of the situation.  A classic situation I witnessed was a cat that caught a mouse, deposited it in the middle of the road to give chase from the side only for it's plans to be thwarted as a line of heavy traffic trundled by.  I've never actually heard a cat growl in rage, but this thing was!  It's tail was lashing faster than a dog's  I laughed my head off.   

Message 6 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

Would you have felt the same if it had a rat in its claws? & yet the cat does not consider if it's victim is a sweet little mouse or a cute bunny but of all it's victims the rat is the most intelligent , brave & courageous especially in defence of its young. Only humans feel remorse!

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

Fair do's.

By the way, I read the linked site you put up.  Interesting but for the TOTALLY UNNECESSARY F WORDS.  It added absolutely nothing to the contents.  I can't for any reason see the point of it.  I liken it to a cheap comedian, keep having to use the "F" word for special effect.  I ended up just brousing through it.  They could have made them interesting articles, but I reckon they are the ones who are "CRACKED".  I can't see anybody being over impressed reading them.  Do people really use this type of language conversationally?  I'm glad I don't.  

Message 8 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

Sorry , which link are you talking about. Please. I am a little confused I have never or would have used an expletive.

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

I think it's the one at #5.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

Thanks CD.
I think you have me mixed up with someone else, I didn't post a link , I can't even post a smilie wish I could.lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 11 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

Don't worry, he's just confused.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 12 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

@5129frederick wrote:
.  A classic situation I witnessed was a cat that caught a mouse, deposited it in the middle of the road to give chase from the side only for it's plans to be thwarted as a line of heavy traffic trundled by.  I've never actually heard a cat growl in rage, but this thing was!  It's tail was lashing faster than a dog's  I laughed my head off.   

Much better had it been squashed flat by the line of heavy traffic. Evil, sly, and totally unpredictable creatures. With an angry dog, all you have to be careful of are a set of teeth but with a moggie, a razor sharp mouthful of fangs, plus four sets of claws.

*prepares to be stoned by the FH&G mob*

Mister EMB

Message 13 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

@5129frederick wrote:

A few years ago we rented a place down at Weymouth and watched the trawlers pull alongside with ther catches.  One thing that has always been close to my heart are crabs and lobsters.  The one thing I've always wanted to do is to buy a live, undamaged crab, take a few photographs of him and then that night slip him back into deep water well away from all the crab creels and lobster pots, there to live out his days in total FREEDOM.  Obviously he'd have to fight for his survival - crabs are very territorial and will viciously see off any other crab trying to get into the same creel, but at least he would be given a sporting chance to extend his life by another couple of years.  I was in the sout of France once where a seafood restaurant had these lobsters in an aquarium, and they were so beautiful, deep blue in colour,  they only turn red when you cook them, that I had to leave.  I was so upset, because I knew where they'd end up.  Big man as I was, as I looked into their eyes, mine clouded over.  Yes, I cried.  Go on, laugh at me - I don't care.

Yes big softy.

But don't worry there will soon be a time when all God's creatures will be able to share this planet without fear and without struggle to survive.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Big softy or what?

Tell that to a salad leaf, or are they not a living breathing thing lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

But don't worry there will soon be a time when all God's creatures will be able to share this planet without fear and without struggle to survive.

Herbivores need predators to stop their numbers increasing more than the food supply can support or they starve and the predators are limited by the number of predated herbivores, too few and they starve.

Evidence of what happens if the balance is affected by outside influences can be seen by the increase in the human population due man's ability to overcome his natural limits.

So it is simply not possible to have a world without either predators, disease or starvation.

Big softy or what?

Good post,  accurate& factual!

**********Sam**********
Message 17 of 38
See Most Recent

Big softy or what?

@bankhaunter wrote:

Herbivores need predators to stop their numbers increasing more than the food supply can support or they starve and the predators are limited by the number of predated herbivores, too few and they starve.

Evidence of what happens if the balance is affected by outside influences can be seen by the increase in the human population due man's ability to overcome his natural limits.

So it is simply not possible to have a world without either predators, disease or starvation.

If it was the case, that we don't have a future under God's direction then I would agree with you whole heartedly bank, but I know different. There will be a time when those instincts of need to be a predator to survive will be replaced with an instinct to live in harmony with each other, man and animal, with an ubundance of food for all. Starving, hunger and desease will be a thing completely wiped out to the point that we will not even be able to bring them to mind.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Big softy or what?

@saasher2012 wrote:

Good post,  accurate& factual!

Not quite saasher you may very well beleive it, but there are many who don't.

Big softy or what?

Presumably then the number of animals will be reduced, none will procreate and carnivores will have their teeth and digestive organs completely changed so that they can survive on a vegetarian diet.

That will of course also apply to fish and birds.