What are you reading at the moment?

Tell us about the book which you're enjoying.  Why is it so enjoyable?  We all like different things so your impression of a book is helpful. 

I added many of the books, which were recommended on the previous thread, to my reading list, based on the poster's comments.

I've been having a crime-fest.  The most recent are ...

Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis - I don't really like Brit-cop books - too depressing - and this was no exception.  (What is it with British cops?)  However, apart from some mistakes which should never have got past a decent editor, it was very readable with a good, if meandery, storyline.

The HIdden Man by David Ellis - This author has been likened to John Grisham crossed with Harlen Coben.  Being a fan of both, I poo-pooed this idea.  That was, until I read the book.  How wrong I was!  It is a gripping, fast read and deserves the comparison.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 1 of 169
See Most Recent
168 REPLIES 168

Finished the first in the Ele series and have started the second, good story line/idea am put off by the teenage romance running through it though, had already bought the third so might as well read it when I finish this one then I have 'Angels' Blood: The Guild Hunter Series' by Nalini Singh lined up next.

Photobucket
Message 81 of 169
See Most Recent

Don't bother, Pinkie.  I bought the other 3 ELE 'books' and after the second they went downhill rapidly; too little plot and too much teen-romance/angst.  I think the authors are trying to latch on to the success of the Twilight series..  I have just read, 'Night Marchers', a free e-book offered by the same authors.  It was very poor.  Some teenage girls may like it but I don't think teenage me would have done.

I bought quite a few collections from the Book People at about £1 per book.

I've just started the first book of another teen series.  'The Set-up' is the first of the 'Medusa' series by Sophie McKenzie.  So far, so good.  I have found that teen books which get into print are usually very good.

Message 82 of 169
See Most Recent

max clifford biography.    i will let you know !!

Message 83 of 169
See Most Recent

Jo Nesbo - The Snowman

Enjoying this book so far, not heard of Nesbo till recently (shame on me) definitely going to be reading more from this author that's for sure.

Message 84 of 169
See Most Recent

I think I read a Nesbo book - Harry Hole?  I enjoyed it but haven't sought anotherl

I would recommend Sophhie McKenzie's books to anyone hoping to get a teenager into reading a good book.  The Medusa series is a step up from the Famous Five with the up-to-date excitement of Antony  Horowitz's Alex Cross adventures.

In a grandmotherly fashion I'm enjoying them.

Message 85 of 169
See Most Recent

Yep the main character is Harry Hole, bit of an odd name for a Swedish detective though 😄

Message 86 of 169
See Most Recent

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Message 87 of 169
See Most Recent

Nearly finished Angels Blood by Nalini Singh it's about ...well Angels... and vampires, strange mixture, lots of sex and violence.

Photobucket
Message 88 of 169
See Most Recent

gosh sounds a laugh a minute.    got some morbid book about an anorexic / bulimic girl to read tonight at work,   nice light boxing day fare !

Message 89 of 169
See Most Recent

got the latest alex ferguson autobiog to read this week,  got five nights at work on the trot sun mon tues wed thur so that wil see that one off and no doubt something else as well

Message 90 of 169
See Most Recent

Received Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall for Christmas........not started it yet. Anyone read it and enjoyed it?

Message 91 of 169
See Most Recent

Gee Whiz, Ryalto, what job do you have that enables you to read two books a week at work?

I've just discovered Charlaine Harris's, Sookie Stackhouse series.  Bar waitress meets vampires in the deep south, one vampire in particular.  I'm very impressed.  This is a murder mystery, but ... I usually skip sex scenes in books but the few bits in this first book are very readable and sensual without being crude.

Message 92 of 169
See Most Recent

I was reading Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World, but then someone bought it off me when I was only at page 135. Fortunately the ending is predictable. 

Message 93 of 169
See Most Recent

the much hyped alex ferguson autobiography

Message 94 of 169
See Most Recent

I think I must be going backwards in age because I am now reading a juvenile book.  It is gripping.

Holes by Louis Sachar has been made into a film which impressed me.  When I found it on offer from a book seller I bought it and its companion volumes.

I can say nothing better than the Times reviewer. ...

'This is a story of friendship with the cleverest of plot twists and descriptions so vivid  ... A total must-read.'

Message 95 of 169
See Most Recent

I've just started "Lullaby" by Ace Atkins, who has taken over the Spenser series from the late Robert B. Parker.  Good so far, and very like Parker's style.

Message 96 of 169
See Most Recent

Collection of Saki's short stories - perfect for bathtime reading!

Message 97 of 169
See Most Recent

@ok-mrs-bee wrote:

I think I must be going backwards in age because I am now reading a juvenile book.  It is gripping.

Holes by Louis Sachar has been made into a film which impressed me.  When I found it on offer from a book seller I bought it and its companion volumes.

I can say nothing better than the Times reviewer. ...

'This is a story of friendship with the cleverest of plot twists and descriptions so vivid  ... A total must-read.'

Would you belive it!  Just as I finished reading Holes the film reappeared on TV.  Both the book and film are brilliant.

I'm currently reading Nick Harkaway's Angelmaker.  It's a bit of a slog but quite engrossing.  I love his writing style but have to pay close attention to his flash backs.  I've read 300 pages and the plot is beginning to become clear.  It's not a quick read but it is a very rewarding one.

Message 98 of 169
See Most Recent

a 1914 book about the great war written for boys and girls,   quite interesting with the advantage of hindsight !

Message 99 of 169
See Most Recent

I began reading Leszek Kolakowski's Main Currents of Marxism, 3 volumes. I got to page 28 of volume one and, oh dear, I'm not surprised the Berlin Wall came down, the only surprise is that it didn't collapse under its own dialectic introspection.   

Message 100 of 169
See Most Recent