Weird but fascinating books?

I have just read Slime Dynamics by Ben Woodward that I was given last christmas

as a joke present and it was really fascinating and I would recommend it to everyone.

My question is can anyone suggest any other non-fiction books in a similar vein?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Flatland is good.  It is fictionalised philosophy

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

I already have that on my to read list after downloading the gutenburg dvd

It looks fascinating, i have also been looking for the film at a decent price

but no luck so far

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Me too. It's a very short film but very expensive.  I did find the sequel someone wrote (a book) called Flatterland.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Yes,  "Flatterland", by Ian Stewart,  is a brilliant modernisation of Abbot's 19th-century book.

It has a female heroine, Victoria "(Vikki") Line.  She's a young, trendy, 2-D gal.  She still keeps, for strictly sentimental reasons, her childhood toys such as "My Little Polygon".  But after placacating her grumpy Square dad "Grosvener",  by bringing  him a rectangle of lager, she goes off to surf  the "Interline", and eventually discovers a new multi-dimensional Universe.

"Flatterland" is quite a long book.  It has lot of witty detail, and scientific ideas.  Yet, somehow it lacks the charm of Abbot's sparse original.  Thus while I've re-read Abbot many times, and can keep doing so,  I never feel like re-reading "Flatterland".

A much better book  is A K Dewdney's "The Planiverse".  This is a vivid account of a living, functional 2-D Universe, with - most importantly - marvellous illustrations which bring it to life.

For anyone interested in 2-D, I thoroughly recommend "The Planiverse".

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent