The River programme on BBC2 last night.

Did anyone see the programme about A***** on BBC2 last night.

One of the megasellers who are on here were featured, they are making a fortune on A*****, I was very downcast to see what they are like.

They have a huge operation with an enormous warehouse. The workers were flinging books onto conveyor belts with no regard to what condition they were in. Now I know why they get such terrible feedback.

The programme is worth watching on iPlayer, sad to see the bookshops closing down as they can't make out against the competition

they face now.

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

I watched it!  (Don't usually inhabit this board, but saw the title of this thread as I pottered through the cafe and came in for a read. hi)

I think these sort of programmes are excellent as I'm sure they put a huge number of people off using the site.  hmmmmm  Since seeing one about the way their workers in Swansea are treated in a huge fulfillment centre, I've bought nothing from them.  I will still use their market traders, but only if A...  does not fulfil the order.

Frankly the sooner the monopolies commission gets involved, the better, as far as I can see. 

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

it just about summed it up when that class of school kids had to name what they associated with amazon and almost all said the selling site not the river or the parrot !!

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

I'm not sure as a 10 yr old I had heard of the River Amazon (my schooling was pre-rainforest fretting), but I would have heard of W H Smith, which was the big book seller of the time.  So I don't think the children's response was surprising.

If you asked pre-schoolers about MacDonalds, they'd likely say the fast food outlet rather than the farm.  Most will have been to a MaccyD but few will have met a farmer.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent