Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Terry Pratchett is finally walking arm & arm with DEATH

Very sad, another one gone 😞

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Thank you, Al, that's a poignant post.  He added so much to so many book readers' enjoyment.  He encouraged reading in youngsters and lightened the lives of many oldsters.

My favourite quote is from one of my favourite books, Pyramids.

PLEASE FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE

Where is Terry's place in that queue?

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/stunning-street-art-tribute-to-terry-pratchett-appears-in-east...

Pratchett1.jpg

Pratchett4.jpg

A huge graffiti tribute to late author Terry Pratchett has appeared in east London.

The mural shows artwork for the cult writer's Discworld books Mort and Reaper Man, complete with a massive portrait of the man himself, who died last month at 66 after a battle with Alzheimer's.

Now Pratchett's legacy is set to live on in Brick Lane with reproductions of the original book art by Josh Kirby.

The panels are at the end of Code Street, a turning off the iconic East End shopping hub.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Those are amazing.  Thank you.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Regarding Terry Pratchett, I didn't like him or his books.  They seemed repulsive. 

Whereas I liked the books, and radio and TV shows, by Douglas Adams. They were brilliant. 

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

@malacandran wrote:

Regarding Terry Pratchett, I didn't like him or his books.  They seemed repulsive. 

Whereas I liked the books, and radio and TV shows, by Douglas Adams. They were brilliant. 

What books or authors you like is your personal preference.

I never met Terry Pratchett so have no opinion of him other than of what I heard in interviews - I found nothing to dislike there and much to respect.

His books have given me many happy hours of entertainment, which include the dreaded 'laughing out loud on the bus'.  I've also enjoyed Douglas Adams books, I didn't know it had to be either / or.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

As you say, it's a matter of personal preference. 

For example, some people profess to admire John Lennon, Spike Millegan,  and John Peel.  Personally I wouldn't want any of those characters sitting next to me on a long plane journey. 

But that's perhaps mere prejudice, and Terry Pratchett may also have been very nice to sit next to.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

I was at the launch of Terry Pratchetts last book in London at midnight on Wednesday. I met some People I have 'known' for 15 odd years, but had never met, one had even flown in from Singapore. 

His friend and assistant Robin Wilkins & the voice of Discworld Steven Briggs read out a chapter, there was hardly a dry eye at the event, because no doubt when He wrote this part, Terry was thinking about His own imminent meeting with the Grim Reaper (one Terrys main characters) Himself.

------------------------------------------------

Malacandran wrote:

------------------------------------------------

Did you read any of the books or was it the covers, Josh Kirby(1983-2001) then Paul Kidby(2001-2015) that put you off ?

Repulsive seems a very strange word to use

also was His support for assisted suicide & dignity in dying, the reason you said 'I didn't like Him',

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Hi Al, repulsive is a strange word, I think I've said before I could never get into his books, but that's because I don't like fantasy much, nothing against his writing or him.

My daughter has read them all and loves them.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent