Selling WW2 Books to Germany

I mainly sell wargaming figures, but my suppliers often have military history books which I resell as well as they appeal to the same type of collectors'.

One of the many WW2 books I recently listed was

The Best Of Signal Hitlers Wartime Picture Magazine S L Mayer Hard Back

This was pulled by ebay "because it breaches our Hateful or Discriminatory policy." Specifically because I offer shipping to Germany.

The ebay email contains a link to the policy as follows: 

Restricted

These items can't be shipped to Germany, France, or other countries that prohibit Nazi-related materials:

- Non-propaganda German films made before 1945

- Documentary films about Nazis, World War II, or the historical significance of that time period in world history

- Hollywood-style films with Nazi subject matter

- Eva Braun's home movies

- 'Mein Kampf' and Hitler’s Second Book

- Books with swastikas on the cover (must have been published outside of Germany if published between 1933-1945)

- 'What if?' type books that discuss what would have happened if battles or the war had ended differently

- Non-propaganda books

- Models of World War II German military vehicles without swastikas

- Action figures in World War II German uniforms

- Reproductions of World War II German uniforms and equipment that do not have Nazi symbols

- Jewish identification (armbands, Star of David)

- Nazi issued documents (passports, travel papers)

- Anti-Nazi items (such as the Hitler pin cushion)

OK, in retrospect I can see that it may not have been in the best of tastes to list the book and I'm happy not to relist it. However, the list above made me think - are all WW2 books banned for shipping to Germany?

The only category that my pulled book fitted into on the above list would be non-propaganda books. All of my other WW2 books fit into the same category so I have currently blocked Germany.

Could some of you more experienced book sellers give me your opinion - is it OK to ship WW2 books to Germany?

Many Thanks,

Rob

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Sorry can't help Rob, just want to comment that it all seems a bit wierd - would my copies of Rudyard kipling Barrack Room ballads and other books be banned for having a (backwards-facing) swastika on the cover?

henry

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Hi Henry,

Unless someone reported your listing I guess you would be fine.

It looks like I am going to have to block Germany permanently - I cant afford to risk another violation on my dashboard. It has gone to LOW as a result of this one book 😞

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

I had the same problem with a similar book of compilation articles from Signal magazine.

I believe that Signal magazine is automatically "red flagged" because the original magazines were propaganda tools for Nazi Germany and did contain anti-sematic and other offensive material.

Although none of those type of articles will be in your book, its the Title which got it automatically noticed.

Certainly when mine was removed I got on to Ebay and was told that the original Signal magazine was banned, I explained more about my book and was told it could be relisted if I wished (although I chose not to), they also reset my policy compliance level, which is the main thing I wanted to happen.

Certainly I've listed lots of general books about World War Two, all with shipping to Germany available and this is the only one I've ever had a problem with.

I've also listed several books by Rudyard Kipling with swastikas on the front cover again all with shipping available to Germany  and never had a problem. Again if they do get removed you should be able to appeal it successfully.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

cutting Germany out of your "will post to" list is silly. Germans, by and large are fantastic buyers. very rarely problematic. i too had an item kicked into touch for the same reason. i simply relisted it taking Germany out of the loop on that one item. sold. my objection to the policy is this; by selling that book (which came in a box of books) and not cutting out Germany. i had suddenly become a racist? never i tell you never.

sea gulls aren't the problem we are

THE BUYER IS GOD POLICY IS A THIEVES CHARTER

They're up there in their private jet, too fly to catch though
Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent