Postage price increases

I've always discounted postage on multiple purchases paid at the same time, asking buyers to wait for an invoice before paying. Even where 2 large letters, £1.10 singly became £2.20 when sent together I took off a small amount for saving an envelope and a paypal (micro-account) charge.

In April 2 large letters will rise from £1.10 singly, to £ 2.60 small parcel, 40p more. 2 small parcels at £2.60 singly will rise to a medium parcel at more than £5.20. (I don't know how much more right not, RM's site is down!)  Anyway, my point is that, with possibly the odd exception for 3/4 large letters going together, most if not all multiples sent together will cost more than the same items sent singly.

I currently have the following note in my listings:-  I always combine postage for multiple purchases paid for at the same time, so if you have bought 2 or more items from me please wait for an invoice before you pay.

I'm tempted to simply remove that note and make no reference to multiples, just send them the best way I can and refund after the event if I do manage to save anything.

Also considering free postage but that's another matter.

What are you planning to do? I'm just floundering at the moment and I'm sure bigger sellers than me will have some ideas.

Message 1 of 39
See Most Recent
38 REPLIES 38

Postage price increases

incidentally you can get a free template for your packages from here

http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-template-order-form

Message 21 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Bannut,

I see what you mean. Typical bloody ebay it just can't get anything right first time can it?  Could you kindly report back when you have an answer that makes sense from a Pink?

This is from the email sent by ebay yesterday:

New picture standards

From autumn 2013, the following picture standards will be enforced on eBay.co.uk. The only exceptions to these new picture standards will be listings in the Vehicle Parts & Accessories and Tickets categories: 

No picture, no listing

You must upload at least 1 picture to your listing.

Don't use stock pictures for used item listings

Listing stock pictures can mislead buyers as to what they’re really getting. By listing pictures of the actual item you’re selling, you can better communicate the item’s condition and manage buyer expectations. However, this doesn’t apply to refurbished items for which you can use stock pictures.

Message 22 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

N

No picture, no listing

You must upload at least 1 picture to your listing.

From my experience customers do like pictures of the actual book. But lets face it, the two biggest listers of used books on ebay have 1.2 million listings, many with multiple copies on the same listing. It is just not possible for them to photograph them all even if they employed 100 people just to do it and started now. Also it is just not economical for the 99p they charge. Could ebay's servers even handle 10,000,000 new photos in one go all at large dimensions and preferably uncompressed.

I would love it if they had to but it just isn't going to happen.

Message 23 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Could you kindly report back when you have an answer that makes sense from a Pink?

You don't want me to come back, then?! :^O

Message 24 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

You don't want me to come back, then?! :^O

:^O  :^O

Message 25 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

are the mega listers seriously seriously going to have to put on a pic of every book?   this if it is true is the best news i have had since,   um well i cannot recall. 

Message 26 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Hi Ryalto,

My interpretation of the original email is that they will have to. Bannut on the other hand has found some documentation which contradicts the original email, and she is awaiting clarification from a 'Pink' . I'm currently writing an up to date version of an old classic to be called 'Waiting for Pinko', which is more likely to find a publisher, than our getting a clear answer. 🙂

Message 27 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

i bet there will be a way around it for them ho ho ho

Message 28 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

any news yet on the pictures on listings ruling.

Message 29 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

I have been reading this link with interest due to the postage cahnges and had seen the link for the parcel template, any idea how you can get hold of one if you are not a company?

The worst part is I just spent out money only a couple of months ago on a template as I was being 'done' at the local post office (charging for packets when they large letters etc)

I tried to fill the form in but it asked for a company name ... ?:|

Message 30 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

I have just opened a myhermes account for heavier items does anyone else have one and how do they find them ?

Message 31 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

I have been reading this link with interest due to the postage cahnges and had seen the link for the parcel template, any idea how you can get hold of one if you are not a company?

The worst part is I just spent out money only a couple of months ago on a template as I was being 'done' at the local post office (charging for packets when they large letters etc)

I tried to fill the form in but it asked for a company name ... ?:|

As a sole trader, I just fill that in with my name (proper name, that is, not ebay name!).

Message 32 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Ryalto, The latest ebay email states the following

"Using lots of high-quality pictures provides a great shopping experience and helps to sell your items. That’s why we’re making changes to improve pictures on listings in 2013. From autumn 2013, the new picture standards will apply to all listings, except those in the Vehicle Parts & Accessories and Tickets categories:

No picture, no listing You must upload at least 1 picture to your listing."

It will be interesting to see what actually happens

Jim

Message 33 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

you do not need to be a company to get a template,   just type in books and patterns or whatever you like where it says company name,   thats what i did and they sent me one (well two actually)  no hassle

Message 34 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

ps a woman at work who sells on ebay uses myhermes all the time,  she takes her packages to alocal shop who are an agent for them,  she has never had any trouble

Message 35 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Collect+ do the same as myhermes.  Leave them at a local shop (in my case its a Spar in an Esso garage) and they get collected by Yodel.  Maximum weight 10kg.  I'm trying sending a few with them and seeing how it goes.

Message 36 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

jim any news yet on the allegation that  a pic of the item has to be included with all listings?

Message 37 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Ryalto,

The latest email confirmed my original thoughts, see my post Apr 4 below, I haven't heard  anymore and most of the posts on the main board are about 'free P&P' and I cant be arsed to wade through to see if a pink has replied, re photo's, maybe mrs Books & Patterns knows

Message 38 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

HI how do you send an invoice for combined postage.  Thank you

Message 39 of 39
See Most Recent