Postage price increases

I've always discounted postage on multiple purchases paid at the same time, asking buyers to wait for an invoice before paying. Even where 2 large letters, £1.10 singly became £2.20 when sent together I took off a small amount for saving an envelope and a paypal (micro-account) charge.

In April 2 large letters will rise from £1.10 singly, to £ 2.60 small parcel, 40p more. 2 small parcels at £2.60 singly will rise to a medium parcel at more than £5.20. (I don't know how much more right not, RM's site is down!)  Anyway, my point is that, with possibly the odd exception for 3/4 large letters going together, most if not all multiples sent together will cost more than the same items sent singly.

I currently have the following note in my listings:-  I always combine postage for multiple purchases paid for at the same time, so if you have bought 2 or more items from me please wait for an invoice before you pay.

I'm tempted to simply remove that note and make no reference to multiples, just send them the best way I can and refund after the event if I do manage to save anything.

Also considering free postage but that's another matter.

What are you planning to do? I'm just floundering at the moment and I'm sure bigger sellers than me will have some ideas.

Message 1 of 39
See Most Recent
38 REPLIES 38

Postage price increases

What a disaster! Basically it will cost £2.60 to send a paperback book or pamphlet that weighs over 100 grams. Royal mail have lost the plot and probably a lot of business.

Message 2 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

A single pamphlet or a thin paperback book will still go as a large letter and the rates for those are unchanged even if they weigh over 100g.

There is certainly a problem with multiples costing a lot more than single items once there into packet size.

I just do a 50p discount for each item purchased after the first, I don't phrase it as a postage discount just as a discount for multiple purchases. I have a flat rate £1 postage for 95% of items just because that's easier to send a discounted invoice than if the items are free postage.

But I will certainly be sending some multiple item purchases as split packages if it saves on postage costs.

Message 3 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Yep your right Jeff ref large letters I thought the category had disappeared. I was talking ballcocks, I hadn't read the small print, I will now go and have some therapy and then beat myself with a bundle of twigs. What a relief!

Message 4 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

One other point to watch out for is that the amount of compensation for lost items of 'standard' post has been reduced to £20.00.

As book buyers are on the whole an honest bunch, I dont currently bother with recorded delivery, but things might have to change.

Message 5 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Jeff:-  I just do a 50p discount for each item purchased after the first, I don't phrase it as a postage discount just as a discount for multiple purchases. I have a flat rate £1 postage for 95% of items just because that's easier to send a discounted invoice than if the items are free postage.

Light suddenly dawns!!  And it can even be automated, whereas my present system can't be due to too many variables.  I've been racking my brains over how to tell people that multiple purchases will probably need sending separately and I don't need to, I can just tell them how many packages to expect when I message them postage details.  Now  for a few VERY late nights amending listings 🙂

Jim:-  As book buyers are on the whole an honest bunch, I dont currently bother with recorded delivery, but things might have to change.

I feel EXACTLY the same way 🙂

Message 6 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Aaarrrggghhh, I forgot to say thanks for the replies, thanks all who answered :-x

Message 7 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

thats interesting over the compensation  ,   i had a discussion in my local post office a few weeks ago,   theres nothing on the current leaflet telling you how much it is,   (it always used to say ,   100 times first class  post),   i made them get the head honcho who eventually admitted current compensation is set at £46  but she expected it to be coming down in the next set of price rises (sorry adjustments).   Then yesterday in the post office i asked the counter clerk about the new prices from 2nd april,  she said she did not know,    the deputy bloke (who is generally more helpful than the head woman a sour suck a lemon cow)   after a lot of persuasion went and got a template for the  new sizes,   i said to him i am listing books NOW  to post in april how am i supposed to know what to charge,  and this was when he finally got this template,   but no price list.

Message 8 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Here is a link to the price leaflet for those who don't have it:

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RoyalMail_OurPrices_April2013.pdf

This one, the 2013 Price Guide, however, has much more detail, including compensation:

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RoyalMail_DeliveryCollections_April2013a.pdf

Message 9 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

looks like compensation coming down to £20 then.   oddly i have had three overseas people claim non delivery this year,   all three i said i will put in a claim from royal mail who will contact either you or your local delivery office for confirmation of non delivery,  and in each instance the item turned up two or three days later.  call me cynical but it seems people are now trying it on even in book buying.

Message 10 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

From later this year, to retain your Top Seller Status and any accompanying discounts, you must offer FREE POSTAGE.

Thanks ebay - that will really help Sellers with the postage price increases!

See http://sellerupdate.ebay.co.uk/spring2013/ebay-top-rated-seller

Message 11 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Rodders,

While I don't agree with Free P&P (mainly because it isn't) the main problem with the Free P&P system on ebay is that you can't automatically discount the postage for multiple buys so you have to charge two lots of postage even if you can put the item in the same envelope.

Its not a problem for small sellers who are able to manually discount the price charged however the large volume sellers will have a problem.

I have started selling again on ebay largely because I am trying to sell a very large eclectic book collection on behalf of a third party who is not necessarily concerned with maximising prices. Previously I did not sell enough to qualify for TSR but with the reduced qualification levels it may be worth experimenting with 'free' P&P.

I presume the 'Free' P&P only applys to the UK and that you can not only charge overseas customers, but also it doesn't affect your overseas exposure.

What I do agree with is ebay's insistance on having a photo for your listing which must not be generic or a stock photo. This will really hurt the megas, and will also benefit the buyers hunting a bargain because taking a punt on a cheap mega collectible will not be such a hit and miss affair because you can see what you are 'supposedly' buying.

With people being unhappy with AZ at the moment you never know ebay could become a half decent book selling site again, if they could now just sort out the categories, but perhaps thats a hope too far.

On a separate point I see the old overseas credits are still healthy.

Best

Jim

Message 12 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

What I do agree with is ebay's insistance on having a photo for your listing which must not be generic or a stock photo. This will really hurt the megas, and will also benefit the buyers hunting a bargain because taking a punt on a cheap mega collectible will not be such a hit and miss affair because you can see what you are 'supposedly' buying.

You think??

How do you read this?

(from the very bottom of:

http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/sites/default/files/ebay_photo_guide_1.pdf )

stock photos may no longer be used as
the primary photo for a used item listing,
but they can be used for refurbished
items. Catalogue images are acceptable,
but not as the primary photo for non-new
items; exceptions are the Books, Movies,
Music, and Video Game categories.
Video Game Consoles, however, must
adhere to the new standard.

Message 13 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Bummer, I bow to your better knowledge once again 🙂

Message 14 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

You read it the same way as me, then? 😞

Message 15 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/maximumPP_FAQ.html#category

New maximum linits for P&P Charges was updated 14 March 2013 (have not seen any announcement)

Books, Comics & Magazines

(Previous) NEW maximum

Sub-category

Accessories

(£3.50)    £4.50

Antiquarian & Collectable

(£6.00) £7.00

Audio Books

(£4.00) £4.50

Children & Young Adults

(£4.00) £7.00

Collections & Lots

(£8.75) £8.75

Comics

(£4.00) £7.00

Fiction

(£4.00) £7.00

Magazines

(£4.00) £11.00

Non-fiction

(£4.00) £8.50

Some odd differences.  A magazine collection= £8.75

A single magazine £11.00

A collection of non-fiction books = £8.75

A single Non-fiction book = £8.50

Message 16 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

limits

Message 17 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Bannut,

I'm totally confused now. Having looked at again the exclusions mentioned in the Picture section of the ebay notification states:

"That’s why we’re making changes to improve pictures on listings in 2013. We’re announcing our new picture standards now to allow you as much time as possible to revise your listings where necessary. From autumn 2013, the new standards will apply to all listings, except those in the Vehicle Parts & Accessories and Tickets categories"

And even in the FAQ's after it, this is reiterated, where did you find the exceptions you quoted ?

Message 18 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

thats a nice big jump in non fiction  driven i suspect by the megalisters

Message 19 of 39
See Most Recent

Postage price increases

Jim, click the link I gave (a pdf) - scroll right down to the bottom, then up slightly until you see an image of a laptop - it's just to the right of that.

The Pink on the Update board has said he 'will pass it on to be checked' - so who knows!

Anyway, even if it does apply to books, do you honestly believe ebay will bother to police it?

Message 20 of 39
See Most Recent